2013?

Guest Whittick

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bestival will always have more options though as they can take on slightly smaller headliners (the kind of bands that sub at Readin/Glasto or headline a 2nd stage etc) or more leftfield acts then the the major festivals.

Edited by hawkzred

Rob said ticket sales aren't terribly important to him but I'm afraid they have to be if he wishes the make the festival sustainable, and sorry but I can't imagine this time last year (which is when they were close to selling out), he had 15,000 more tickets to shift. What's that, nearly 25% of all ticket sales?

Edited by hawkzred

I thought it was 1,500 rather than 15,000, I remember an update from Rob on twitter at the time.

Interestingly I carried out an obligatory wikipedia fact check and the overall attendence for last year was strangely 45,000!, 5,000 down from the previous year. Not saying it is by any means factual as wikipedia is generally populated by obsessives and morons.

Pixies might actually work well, are they actively touring at the moment?

I reckon that'd sell about as many as this year depending on the undercard.

Seriously, if you had Arcade Fire as headliners - unless it was something like an exclusive - not even they would bring in 55,000. I don't even think somebody like Prince would. The problem people face with Bestival is the logistics; this year you'd think it would have been a triumph with the lack of Glasto but it hasn't been; nowhere has really; and with Glasto back next year, I reckon Bestival will struggle even more. I was tempted to start up a thread to discuss my pessmism for Bestival's future actually but I chose not to because that's the sort of bullshit you'd expect from me, but even if I did it I would do so out of genuine concern.

I bought my ticket because I went last year and loved the festival and my friends were all up for it (one of them is playing) so it was a done deal regardless of the lineup... oh and for Sigur Ros who I've never seen.

In regards to the headliners, as much as people don't seem to like Flo I've never seen her so normally I'd check her out but chances are I'll see her at Reading. New Order are supporting Blur and I saw Stevie at Glasto a couple of years back. Headliners for me personally this year just weren't much of a draw.

As far as repeat headliners go, Bestival will have to at some point - not through choice, mind you, but lack of it. It's a festival that's run by a DJ and as such it's trying to be ahead of the curve at all times by attempting to be cutting edge with the bands it showcases, but unfortunately there just aren't that many new headline-ready bands. There are obviously plenty of chances for Bestival to give bands a punt but being a major festival that ultimately thrives on the quality of it's showcase acts, it's far too risky.

Ticket prices will go up in 2013 too, as will cost of getting over there... now isn't the time to take a punt on The Vaccines, or whatever bullshit Radio 1 thinks people should listen to. At the same time, however, you can't take a punt on heritage acts like Isle of Wight did this year; I mean, how many hipsters are going to buy a ticket to see Dolly Parton, Neil Young & Crazy Horse and Nick Cave? I know I would, but a lot wouldn't.

Ok so this is slightly crude.... but here is a little example of fantasy booking alternative headliners based on who was touring those years. There are probably lots of better bands who I haven't thought of but it just goes to show that there is penty of variety out there (assuming you'd consider all these bands fit to headline). In short..I don't think Bestival has anything to worry about in regards to finding new headliners without repeats!

2012: Mumford & Sons/Chase and Status/Portishead

2011: Morrisey/The Streets/Suede

2010: Faithless/Blondie/Snoop Dog

2009: Pixies/Bloc Party/Kanye West

2008: Groove Armada/Iggy & the Stooges/The Last Shadow Pupperts

Edited by Justiceforcedave

Ok so this is slightly crude.... but here is a little example of fantasy booking alternative headliners based on who was touring those years. There are probably lots of better bands who I haven't thought of but it just goes to show that there is penty of variety out there (assuming you'd consider all these bands fit to headline). In short..I don't think Bestival has anything to worry about in regards to finding new headliners without repeats!

2012: Mumford & Sons/Chase and Status/Portishead

2011: Morrisey/The Streets/Suede

2010: Faithless/Blondie/Snoop Dog

2009: Pixies/Bloc Party/Kanye West

2008: Groove Armada/Iggy & the Stooges/The Last Shadow Pupperts

Edited by hawkzred

I can't see Bestival booking the act that killed off the festival that Bestival copied.

If the relatively-easy-to-get-to Big Chill couldn't get enough punters to make Kanye pay, then I can't see how less accessible festival will be able to make it work either.

Edited by hawkzred

What do you class as major fests? Seeing as they have already headlined a hell of a lot of the major dance festivals in the world! Obviously they wont be playing Reading anytime soon...

Have you seen 'Dont Think' from Fuji Rock?

Edited by jump

You cannot blame a single act for not selling out a whole festival, which was what I was trying to say in a roundabout way with the critism of Kanye at Big Chill.

Chemical Brothers have also headlined Glastonbury, (albeit not recently) twice if you include The Other Stage which pulled in a fairly large crowd last year inspite of Coldplay playing the Pyramid.

They are never going to be booked as headliners at Reading and Leeds in reality.

Edited by hawkzred

You cannot blame a single act for not selling out a whole festival, which was what I was trying to say in a roundabout way with the critism of Kanye at Big Chill.

Chemical Brothers have also headlined Glastonbury, (albeit not recently) twice if you include The Other Stage which pulled in a fairly large crowd last year inspite of Coldplay playing the Pyramid.