The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

...and Norse. Don't forget the Norse.

[i upticked Barry ! Do I get a badge or something ? ]

well, Shetland to be more precise.

Astonishingly within the Shetland Isles with a total population of not much more than 20,00 there are a number of distinctive dialects -as a "soothmoother" I could only distinguish 2 or 3 but the locals could tell pretty much where you came from by your accent.

this is a song by the same guy as above specifically poking fun at the very recognisable accent of the inhabitants of the Island of Whalsay

One of the things I love about this country (UK) is the vast range of dialects & accents. It is remarkable how much these have been retained despite all the modern media with constant exposure to accents from the east end of London or LA.

Not entirely relevant to this thread as it is one thing independence won't change.

Edited by LJS
  • Upvote 1

Right.

Back to cyber nose-thumbing and general denigration of each other's mental faculties, or whatever the founder of this esteemed site would describe the last 70 odd pages of comments as.

Social Media analytics site Brandwatch have a graphic showing how the Scottish online electorate would vote if the referendum was held tomorrow.

http://www.brandwatch.com/scottishindependencereferendum/

Right.

Back to cyber nose-thumbing and general denigration of each other's mental faculties, or whatever the founder of this esteemed site would describe the last 70 odd pages of comments as.

Social Media analytics site Brandwatch have a graphic showing how the Scottish online electorate would vote if the referendum was held tomorrow.

yeah!!!

we won

can we all go home now?

Rum business, all this hypothesising :)

would you prefer a fact instead? Probably not.

Alex has been caught - yet again - telling porkies about his meetings with Murdoch!!

Just another politician. Yeah, iScotland will be different. :lol:

People like Rupert love the divide and rule that the SNP are delivering him. It's much easier to buy a small country than a large one.

if you are trying to speak Scots it is "eejit" not "idjut" (i think the Irish would claim it too- but then we are all Celts together)

why would I speak Scots? :blink:

This mighty be a thread about Scotland, but it keeps passing you by that there's plenty of different perspectives and every single one of them is as valid as any other.

His full remarks can be seen here...

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_EuropeanandExternalRelationsCommittee/Inquiries/Graham_Avery_Written_Evidence.pdf

The treaty change would be in relation to the make up of the number of MPs etc. I suppose that can't be avoided.

He makes a lot more sense then any of the shit you have spouted :)

The timescale remark is something of a red herein. Its going to take a while for Scotland to divorce from the UK. I would imagine every on all side are not going to be too arsed if the divorce takes three or four years rather than the currently imposed timescale.

The "shit I've spouted" is that any entry method apart from article 49 will require treaty changes, exactly as the SNP's own preferred expert says. So i guess he talks shite too in your eyes. :rolleyes:

The timescale is a timescale set by the yes campaign, and they claim it's immovable.

The fact they say it's immovable is what leads to a solid conclusion that iScotland will spend some time outside of the EU (in an official way, if not in effect).

You know, the exact same thing I've been saying for well over three months.

But hey, I'm talking shite. :lol:

Right.

PMSL :lol:

So what that's saying is that every yes voter is a cybernat. :P

Meanwhile, back in the real world, as yet there's absolutely no suggestion that yes will win.

Inconvenient, those facts, eh? :P

Oh look Neil arguing from a dogmatic position rather than a position of reality :) That never happens around here :)

to be arguing from a dogmatic position I'd have to have a dog in the fight. I don't. :rolleyes:

And anyway, what's been even remotely dogmatic withmy posts today - every one of which is centred on a irrefutable fact.

1. Salmond has been having more secret meetings with Murdoch, and has been found out yet again.

2. i've clarified that I'm speaking for myself (quite why I had to, I dunno).

3. I've stated the 'yes' iDay date, and pointed out it doesn't leave enough time for the EU to work at its normal slow speed.

4. and I've stated the fact that yes has never once led in the polls.

Not a drop of dogma there. :)

I guess you're too obsessed with dogging.

So anyway, what huge parts of iScotland has Salmond promised Murdoch in return for the Scottish Sun 'suddenly'* coming out in support of indy?

(* with about 4 weeks to go, tho only if the polls are close. Rupert only backs winners)

My guess is that Rupert is going to be given the "Scottish BBC" (iScotland's govt supported national broadcaster) to run.

Any one have any other ideas?

to be arguing from a dogmatic position I'd have to have a dog in the fight. I don't. :rolleyes:

And anyway, what's been even remotely dogmatic withmy posts today - every one of which is centred on a irrefutable fact.

1. Salmond has been having more secret meetings with Murdoch, and has been found out yet again.

2. i've clarified that I'm speaking for myself (quite why I had to, I dunno).

3. I've stated the 'yes' iDay date, and pointed out it doesn't leave enough time for the EU to work at its normal slow speed.

4. and I've stated the fact that yes has never once led in the polls.

Not a drop of dogma there. :)

I guess you're too obsessed with dogging.

See this new revelation of secret Murdoch salmond liaisons. Is this the meeting in April in th US in April reported in the Sunday post over a month ago?

Or is there something more recent I've missed?

See this new revelation of secret Murdoch salmond liaisons. Is this the meeting in April in th US in April reported in the Sunday post over a month ago?

Or is there something more recent I've missed?

it was a meeting in April, yeah - and it may not be new, but it's new news to me.

Just like at Westminster, he's getting his orders from Rupert.

I like Neil's position on politicians. What I will always argue against that is that at least we'll have OUR politicians making decisions. If they're just as bad, then so be it. But that's our decision. Made by us. And fuck ups made by us.

That reminds me of a reply I meant to make to one of LJS's posts from last night.

UKIP say that ethnicity leads to the right people making the right decisions, while the SNP & 'yes' say that geography leads to the right people making the right decisions.

These are of course absurd ideas.

Me, I say that anyone can be the right person to make the right decision - the important part is the 'right'-ness of the decision that they're taking - and that the wider you cast your net the more chance you have of catching the right fish.

Geography leads to nothing. Other than a crappy class in high school. Okay, that's harsh. I quite liked it.

If our country votes no, I'll happily concede that it's the right decision for the majority. It kinda worries me that a lot of Yes voters won't be able to accept it.

I like Neil's position on politicians. What I will always argue against that is that at least we'll have OUR politicians making decisions. If they're just as bad, then so be it. But that's our decision. Made by us. And fuck ups made by us.

There's a lot of angles I'm sympathetic towards 'yes' with, and this is one of them.

But .... the whole basis of yes is that things will be better, and if you're merely creating all the same bad things at holyrood that already exist at Westminster, while leaving yourself more vulnerable to the world by the fact of a smaller state, is it really worth it?

After all, nothing of that gets close to any of the aspirations people give for why you want indy.

(Obviously, this is meant hypothetically).

I think most of politics isn't about making the "right" or the "wrong" decision... Its simply selecting an option, making a choice... Right or wrong is so subjective... What is right for one is often wrong for another. The point of Scottish Independence is the people making their own choices. Its not about right or wrong.

No, it is about right and wrong.

The main thrust of the indy campaign is that Westminster has been making the wrong decisions for Scotland, and that a more-local govt would make (more) right decisions for Scotland.

What the actual 'right' and 'wrong' choices/decisions are is subjective, but as long as something has majority Scottish support it could be said to be the 'right' decision/choice.

plenty of different perspectives and every single one of them is as valid as any other.

I strongly disagree. I'd say the perspective that Salmond is different to other UK politicians isn't valid.

Thinking independence could be a good thing for Scotland is valid. I don't think it's likely to turn out that way, but any opinion not based upon a politician's promise that things will be different is valid.

I strongly disagree. I'd say the perspective that Salmond is different to other UK politicians isn't valid.

It's a valid perspective.

But it's wrong.

Thinking independence could be a good thing for Scotland is valid. I don't think it's likely to turn out that way, but any opinion not based upon a politician's promise that things will be different is valid.

well, things WILL be different - it's just not known if the differences will equal good or bad overall.

it was a meeting in April, yeah - and it may not be new, but it's new news to me.

Just like at Westminster, he's getting his orders from Rupert.

Just as well I'll not need to vote for him isn't it?

that's a given isn't it? Even if it's only a call for a repeat of the whole thing every five years until they get the result they want (another thing shared with UKIP :P).

Yawn

Geography leads to nothing. Other than a crappy class in high school. Okay, that's harsh. I quite liked it.

If our country votes no, I'll happily concede that it's the right decision for the majority. It kinda worries me that a lot of Yes voters won't be able to accept it.

That's two of us at least then.

Doesn't matter who wins we all have to get on with each other after it.