Latitude 2012

Gingerbond

one week until line up announcement. i'm bored so here is what I think the line up is going to look like come next monday

Friday

Elbow

Bon Iver

Feist

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Word Arena - The Maccabees

Saturday

Mumford & Sons

Two Door Cinema Club

The Vaccines

Beirut

Word Arena - The Horrors

Sunday

The Cure

Kaiser Chiefs

Laura Marling

The Shins

Word Arena - Ed Sheeran

and then Girls, Alabama Shakes, The Temper Trap, St. Vincent, tune-yards, The Strange Boys, Group Love, Spectrals, Theme Park, Spector, Alexander, The Antlers, Friends, Django Django, First Aid Kit etc etc

Edited by paulomas

Elbow is defo a headliner. Bon Iver is too I think.

Not sure on the 3rd but if it's The Cure (which is a decent possibility) then they'll be the Friday headliner (they have other shows the other 2 days).

oh yeah they're doing Optimus Alive aren't they?

so maybe

The Cure, Bon Iver, Elbow?

or Bjork, Bon Iver, Elbow?

either way, that's a pretty good set of headliners

i'm probably incredibly late on this, but i've only just seen that map of europe where the cure are playing. and one of destination things is clearly at Latitude. is that for real?

Nope. The Cure put out a distorted map, and the map that shows Latitude is a guess-map that someone made from the original.

Having said that, it's quite possible that The Cure are playing Latitude. If they are they'll be playing on the Friday (they have other shows on the other days).

Nope. The Cure put out a distorted map, and the map that shows Latitude is a guess-map that someone made from the original.

Having said that, it's quite possible that The Cure are playing Latitude. If they are they'll be playing on the Friday (they have other shows on the other days).

If they're playing Spain on Thurs & Portugal on the Sat I highly doubt they'll be playing in the UK on the Fri. It's likely to be Sunday or nothing.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

If they're playing Spain on Thurs & Portugal on the Sat I highly doubt they'll be playing in the UK on the Fri. It's likely to be Sunday or nothing.

ahhh, I thought they only had the Friday free? (I could be wrong, not followed things that closely).

While their other dates suggest to me that Latitude isn't too likely, it's a struggle to see what other fest in the UK they might be playing. About the only other possibility is Reading/Leeds, but that seems less likely than Latitude.

The only real options left for the Cure now seems to be the Sunday of Latitude, R/L or the most realistic one in my view: Hop Farm, as they're in France on the 29th, leaving the 30th & the 1st wide open to play the UK.

Though perhaps they won't play a UK fest at all? I mean it's pretty rare that they do festivals at all & they already did Bestival. (I know they're doing a fest tour this summer, but they're not your average festival circuit band playing year in year out.) I could see them playing Electric Picnic in Ireland & perhaps a date at the London 02 or something?

Anyway, I'm seeing them in Portugal so I'm not that fussed. :P

The only real options left for the Cure now seems to be the Sunday of Latitude, R/L or the most realistic one in my view: Hop Farm, as they're in France on the 29th, leaving the 30th & the 1st wide open to play the UK.

Hop farm seems very unlikely to me. I've heard from several directions that The Cure turned down offers to play (doesn't seem to be happening at all now) the revived Phoenix festival. If they'd been booked for Hop Farm then it seems likely to me that the same promoter would have made a joint offer and the stuff I'm hearing would be different as a result.

Perhaps they didn't want to take the risk with Phoenix though, being revived and all that it may have been a failure again & reflected badly on the band?

Where as Hop Farm is well established, produces big headliners every year & lets be honest if Vince Power can persuade Prince to play, he can pretty much do anything. But I guess if you have info to suggest they're not playing there has to be a reason & my bet would be R/L not Latitude, as they could arguably do Latitude & Hop Farm in the same year anyway.

Perhaps they didn't want to take the risk with Phoenix though, being revived and all that it may have been a failure again & reflected badly on the band?

Where as Hop Farm is well established, produces big headliners every year & lets be honest if Vince Power can persuade Prince to play, he can pretty much do anything. But I guess if you have info to suggest they're not playing there has to be a reason & my bet would be R/L not Latitude, as they could arguably do Latitude & Hop Farm in the same year anyway.

Yep, that's the possibility that they wanted Hop Farm but not Phoenix had run thru my mind, but it doesn't fit with what I've heard, so I've rejected that possibility.

I'd say you're well off the mark with how much of a draw you believe the Cure to be. They were at Bestival last year - a festival of about the same size as Latitude - and it took until mid-Aug to sell out. That screams very very loudly that they're not a huge-drawing band.

The only reason for their fast selling gig tickets in the UK is that they only play the very occasional show - typically less than one a year - and in a very small venue which won't fulfil the buying wants of their very dedicated but not huge following.

Elbow is defo a headliner. Bon Iver is too I think.

Not sure on the 3rd but if it's The Cure (which is a decent possibility) then they'll be the Friday headliner (they have other shows the other 2 days).

Do you know if Bon Iver is headlining Green Man Festival this year? Infact do you know anything about acts playing at Green Man this year that haven't been announcned?

Yep, that's the possibility that they wanted Hop Farm but not Phoenix had run thru my mind, but it doesn't fit with what I've heard, so I've rejected that possibility.

I'd say you're well off the mark with how much of a draw you believe the Cure to be. They were at Bestival last year - a festival of about the same size as Latitude - and it took until mid-Aug to sell out. That screams very very loudly that they're not a huge-drawing band.

The only reason for their fast selling gig tickets in the UK is that they only play the very occasional show - typically less than one a year - and in a very small venue which won't fulfil the buying wants of their very dedicated but not huge following.

I'm pretty sure Bestival is much bigger than Latitude?

I'm not under any sort of delusions as to how big the Cure are, but judging by the past headliners at Latitude they'd certainly be the biggest band to headline it to date. No offence but sometimes you do come across as a bit of a know it all who's not willing to take anyone elses opinion on board. I was only suggesting where they might play & the reasons why.

I'm pretty sure Bestival is much bigger than Latitude?

a little - 50k against 35k.

In comparison to that Reading/Leeds is a total of 165k, which gets to make Latitude look by far the most likely of those two events.

I'm not under any sort of delusions as to how big the Cure are, but judging by the past headliners at Latitude they'd certainly be the biggest band to headline it to date.

biggest name, perhaps. Biggest draw? Nah, not on the basis of last year's Bestival sales.

No offence but sometimes you do come across as a bit of a know it all who's not willing to take anyone elses opinion on board. I was only suggesting where they might play & the reasons why.

I'm not trying to be a know it all. All you said were things I've considered before now, and I've simply offered my considerations - my opinion - back at you. Which you don't seem to want to accept, and unlike me reject it without putting your reasons forward for why. ;)

So like I said, if they could headline R/L which is about 165,000, there's no reason why they couldn't (not saying they are) headline Latitude & Hop Farm in the same year. That's the only point I was trying to make before Neil jumped in with the whole "you don't know how big of a draw they are" argument.

So like I said, if they could headline R/L which is about 165,000, there's no reason why they couldn't (not saying they are) headline Latitude & Hop Farm in the same year. That's the only point I was trying to make before Neil jumped in with the whole "you don't know how big of a draw they are" argument.

But could they headline R/L? ;)

I've no doubt that they'd add to the richness of the bill, and I personally think they'd be a great booking. But after last year's struggle to sell the tickets I haver great trouble believing that Melvin would have booked them as headliners when the best benchmark he'd have to go on was last year's Bestival mid-Aug sell-out.

Likewise, Latitude and Hop Farm would combined be 88k - more tickets than either promoter would want to risk I think (bearing Bestival in mind), particularly when both fests are pretty much in the same area of the country and at around the same time. And with Melvin's festivals there tends to be exclusivity clauses on the acts at the top of the bill, which makes the same act at both rather unlikely.

Whilst I understand exclusivity is important, sometimes they surely just book who's available? & the Cure would be a pretty decent sized headliner for either festival judging by previous headliners. Also Latitude & Hop Farm are about 2 & a half hours away from each other aren't they? It's hardly round the corner.

Latitude 2011:

The National - also played R/L (yes I know it's the same company)

Paolo Nutini- also played Rockness (not England I know, but still the UK) & Glastonbury

Suede- Didn't play any other fests to my knowledge, but did their own shows?

Hop Farm 2011:

Eagles- only UK show

Morrissey- Also played Glasto & did a full UK tour

Prince- only UK show.

Unlikely for the Cure to do both? Yes. Impossible & unrealistic though? Not really, it's feasible; both festivals have had acts play/headline other festivals & arguably they're all smaller than the Cure.

Anyway, this has gone way off the topic of this thread, so my apologies.

Whilst I understand exclusivity is important, sometimes they surely just book who's available? & the Cure would be a pretty decent sized headliner for either festival judging by previous headliners. Also Latitude & Hop Farm are about 2 & a half hours away from each other aren't they? It's hardly round the corner.

Latitude 2011:

The National - also played R/L (yes I know it's the same company)

Paolo Nutini- also played Rockness (not England I know, but still the UK) & Glastonbury

Suede- Didn't play any other fests to my knowledge, but did their own shows?

Hop Farm 2011:

Eagles- only UK show

Morrissey- Also played Glasto & did a full UK tour

Prince- only UK show.

Unlikely for the Cure to do both? Yes. Impossible & unrealistic though? Not really, it's feasible; both festivals have had acts play/headline other festivals & arguably they're all smaller than the Cure.

Anyway, this has gone way off the topic of this thread, so my apologies.

While they might be 2 1/2 hours from each other they both share the same major centre of population, which is hugely likely (based on what happens with other fests) to be where most of the attendees for both come from.

I said 'exclusive', but that was an over-statement on my part. What I should have actually said was "non compete clause" (which is pretty standard in any half-decent band's contract with a promoter) - because Latitude and Hop Farm are to some extent competing for the same audience because of their geographical nearness, , their nearness in time of year, as well as the more 'adult' theme (no, not like that :P) for each compared to most other festivals.

What I'm getting to is that I'd be absolutely astounded if they ever shared a headline act.