Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I did witness and dont know if anyone else did but here goes...

On the sunday all day to the right of the sound box at the mainstage, there was a group of Id say 40+ women and a few blokes. Well they were selling pills and kept asking everyone ''5er for some pills mate'' and they were clearly pilled up. We then realised they had a little boy with them, must have only been 8? He just had to sit and watch while Im presuming his mum and dad sat and smoked weed and took pills.

There was one of the group who was absolute blasted, jumping around literally allday which I dont mind at all but she kept falling onto me and my friends.

At one point she told her mate to her bag, while she bent down and pissed in it :/

She then sat around in bra and knickers.

Please say someone else saw this?

Overall I had a great time,despite the twatty steward that made me move the tent at 11.30pm ,even though I had been camped right next to the fence in front of them since 2pm on the Thursday..Come Friday, other tents were there and jack was said..I hope he enjoyed watching me having to empty the dam tent and move it in the dark,

Yes the loos were a problem,I couldn't really drink in the arena as I just couldn't be arsed with the mess and queues.

I did enjoy everything else,it just appeared they were penny pinching,it did'nt have the same feel as last year,I just can't put my finger on why.

We ended up down the front for Dizzee,which was actually brilliant ha! :D

Edited by sums98

Everyone has a different experience at a festival depending on their own expectations and experiences before & when they get there. For me the lack of pre information about who was on where and when so we could plan as a group who was high on our bill was my biggest disappointment, apart from that I go with a low expectation of toilets, I expect drunken young people who have just finished their exams (who actually if they bump into you say sorry) I understand that there will be thieves especially on the Thursday,( I'm not condoning this) This is a great festival and had loads of bands on that I had to choose from and like ordering a meal at a restaurant always wished I'd chosen the other. We were a group of 20 with mixed ages from 12 - 55 and every single one of us had a fantastic time, between us all our highlights were: James, Feeder, Dizzy, Hyde & Beast, The Correspondents, The Lancashire Hotpots, The wandering band, The Happy Slap, The silent disco, The Flash Mob workshop at the ladybird tent, Shed 7, Vintage trouble, Nick Heywood & Tim Burgess, Bombskare, The Monster Celideh band, King Charles and our very own camp acoustic music and competition of who can get the most song titles into normal conversation, which probably Wake me up before you go go was the most memorable. But not necessarily the winner :)

One of our group was at the tap with a lady and he said "are you having a nice time?" and she said "No not really, the weather is crap it keeps raining, the toilets are disgusting and there's drunken people dancing" He said "Can I ask why you have come here?" and she replied "Because I love festivals". Your Honour I rest my case.

Agree with the lads that kasabian are too big right now to play, the budget would go on them and youd be left with a very weak undercard everywhere !

looking sensibly I would imagine theyll pin their sights at a similar level to this year with maybes a bit more budget, I could see them attracting the likes of elbow, example,the flaming lips,paul weller maybes even someone like morrissey. Who knows they might be able to make some deal where they can offer a larger named band the opportunity to headline as well as a jodrell night to sweeten the deal.

Id go with something like....

ELBOW. EXAMPLE. TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB.

Elbow being the steady option that will appeal to the core group, Example is getting bigger and is a bit like Dizzee in the sense he can get people on side very quickly with his live show and Two door cinema would please most I wouldve thought?

Think they'd be more inclined to go for Friendly Fires rather than Two Door Cinema club but otherwise think those could be decent shouts Jacko.

Elbow...Flaming Lips...Manics would be awesome, probably unrealistic at this stage, another couple of years maybe (Latitude have had Elbow and Lips in recent years and thats about 25k capacity I believe??). I'd prefer they got rid of one or 2 of the stages (preferrably the dance ones) and invested the savings into the headliners.

Manics are the right size now though I'd say

Actually...Primals as Sunday night headliner...good shout Lakeland! Could defo see that happening...

Edited by Flaminglippy

One thing youve gotta consider is who is likely to be touring next year and who will be either in the studio or taking time off. Two door will have new material out by then, I could possibly see king charles headline the calling out stage or maybes a 3rd slot down the card, jake bugg hasnt even got an album out yet, as much as I like his stuff hes nowhere near big enough to be main support on main stage. Again 3rd on card or calling out headliner may be his best punt.

A call for saturday night headline, who will have new material and fit the bill for headlining a festival kendals size must be the courteeners, crowd would love their set and theyd get the usual mental reaction when they played the hits.