Guest perfectpassion

Other Lives @ Village Underground

I can echo what PP said and looking around me I don't think I was the only one. Having seen these guys for the third time last night, I was truly disappointed and after analysing what went so wrong on the train home, I came to the following conclusions.

I first saw OT at The Lexington last year having listened to the first album to death and been very impressed with the second album. They were fresh, excited to be there and they played their hearts out. The sound was amazing and that, I fear, is a large part of the problem with their show last night. Whilst Village Underground is visually impressive and a beautiful venue, the sound was awful. For a band whose songs include so many layers of sound, all that was audible last night was a huge bass fuzz and some barely comprehensible vocals. Many instruments you couldn't hear at all.

Going back to the beginning though, the show started off badly. After the customarily long stage set up time, there then followed a ridiculously long and tedious build up to their entrance. And I mean long. I'm sure that approach works in a big stadium when you're supporting a band the size of Radiohead where an impressive visual show is as much expected as the music, but last night it didn't do them any favours and was just pretentious.

Even the second time I saw them at EOTR, despite being disappointed that they didn't have a long enough set and they didn't play anything from the first album, they were still good and seemed to enjoy playing. Last night it all seemed like 'just another show'. They looked bored at times and thoroughly tired, as if they were just going through the motions. Jesse admitted he'd been in London more times in the last couple of years than he'd seen his mother and he looked like that was something he should remedy sometime soon.

In summary, they're a great band and they've produced two very solid albums. If the new songs last night were anything to go by their next album, whenever it arrives, will be just as good. In the meantime though they need to take a step back and re-find themselves. Last night I very nearly left before the end because the appeal of getting an earlier train home was higher than seeing the rest of the show. In fact the only thing that stopped me was the thought of having to battle my way out through the sold out crowd, but I'm actually glad I didn't, because for the encore (and probably due to the change in sound levels for Jesse's solo Black Tables) the last couple of songs sounded much better. But they still didn't do it for me. I hope it's a blip and when they've had a rest they'll be back to their previous form.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Lives @ Village Underground, 4 April.

I'd figured that the bad sound was just down to me wearing earplugs, and that my lack of enjoyment down to being a bit tired and a bit crowded and uncomfortable. Judging by the reviews above it was a more general problem.

The long introduction that Seadragon mentions was meant to accompany a film, but it was basically invisible on the back wall of the venue, so we stood around for a long long time with nothing to see.

The band definitely looked tired and hopefully they'll go home, get some rest, and come back fired up for No Direction Home. I did enjoy their EoTR slot a lot, so they're definitely capable of it.

SoundXP's 10 Year Anniversary, The Windmill, 6 April.

A variety of acts plus a free barbecue made this a pleasant day. We came in as Singing Adams was doing a solo set, which unfortunately split the crowd in two - the fans clustered around the stage and the others talking really loudly throughout most of the venue. Couldn't hear much, and the barbecue was calling, so we skipped out.

Next up were Y Niwl, a Welsh surf instrumental band. They were perfectly good without breaking any new ground. Dignan Porch followed, a Tooting band playing low-fi shoegazy stuff. I've seen them a couple of times before at the Windmill and enjoyed them, but things just went wrong for them tonight, including needing to borrow a drum pedal after theirs broke. My drummer friend Matt spent most of the show telling me how terrible the drummer was. After half an hour or so they left us with 'come see us again...we've played better gigs'.

The last band we saw were the Nuns. Who were, for that moment, the best thing happening on Earth. The Nuns are six women, dressed in black, ranging from a black dress to a full nun's outfit. They play covers of Monks' songs. That is all. It is perfect, and I had a lot of fun jumping around to 'Drunken Maria' and the rest.

6 Day Riot and Sparrow and the Workshop finished things off, but we'd left by then.

Shearwater, The Scala, 3 April.

Support comes from My Sad Captains, who make pleasant enough indie/light shoegaze sounds, but without any great distinctiveness or stage presence.

Much better is Canadian Julie Doiron. Playing solo with an acoustic guitar, she seems like a slightly shy singer-songwriter with some decen tunes. This perception is pretty much shattered when her third song is a cover of Pavement's 'Shady Lane'. "'No More'", someone calls out, and she explains that she normally does that song as a medley, with a full band, but she thinks she could do it...."wait, did you mean, "don't play any more?" cos I can do that", she suddenly wonders. By now even the neutrals in the crowd are with her, people are calling suggestions - "yeah yeah I can do that" she responds enthusiastically. Subsequent research reveals her songs are more fuzzy North American indie, not acoustic folkery as I'd believed. She's really rather good, either way, and would be great at EoTR.

Shearwater start with a bang. Animal Life, especially is great - it would be quite possibly the best live performance I've heard this year if I hadn't seen Jeff Mangum and the Magnetic Fields. It's tougher than the album version, with much heavier drums that don't overwhelm the rest of the band, or Jonathan's vocals. For me, the quality fades a little after that, but I'd put that down to wearing earplugs - I took them off again later in the set and it sounded much better, unsurprisingly. Unfortunately it was a choice of losing even more of my hearing, or missing some of the set. It could also have been that they were mainly playing songs off Animal Joy, and the audience might have been a bit muted as a result. A good gig overall, anyway.

Simone Felice @ The Railway, Winchester

First night of the current tour, and almost straight from the plane. Unsurprisingly, much of what was played was off the new album, but perhaps because of familiarity, the "older" Duke & The King stuff seemed stronger. Pretty good show, but, without taking anything away from this one, I'm sure there'll be better shows down the road. Simi did a short solo spot to start, and was perfectly fine.

Laura Gibson, House Concert, Winchester

The wheels literally came off the tour van in France, which meant they missed their ferry connection and the festival they were meant to play at: big loss on these kind of carefully budgeted tours. They rang Oliver, who runs SCSX to see if he could put them up, and the price was this amiable and light-hearted show, put on at 12 hours notice. Anyone going to the Lexington show should insist Fritz the sound guy plays the bassoon.

Yeah I read that too, but in typical Guardian music review style she didn't really say much about the actual gig at all but I guess she did give it 5*. The only Guardian review that sticks in my mind as incredibly accurate was the one they wrote for the Hop Farm festival a couple of years back when Bob Dylan 'played'.

I really hope they get back to their roots and don't go the way of bands like Mumford & Sons and Dry The River.

Not reviews (yet) but I am getting stupidly excited about a couple of upcoming gigs...

Perfume Genius at St Pancras Old Church on 10th May - is there any more beautiful venue to see him play?

and Tinariwen on 3rd May - shame it's at Shep Bush Empire but still, when the songs on the last album are as beautiful as this I can look past that and get excited

Chuck Prophet @ The Railway, Winchester - afternoon & evening shows

It is a fact that Chuck Prophet is a terrific guitarist and it is a fact that Chuck Prophet shows are terrific shows. It is also a fact that the best place to see Chuck is at The Railway, which always sells out and where he gets roared along through the set. It would be very surprising if a Winchester show didn't deliver 100% and there was no such surprise. The new album is pretty good too: bought the vinyl, which comes with the CD inside.

Its very quiet on here, hopefully everyone is at Record Store Day enjoying the bands and ltd ed vinyl. Because I buy vinyl whereever possible I am not sure that I want to be standing in a queue to buy something just for the sake of it....but there is some good stuff out there which will no doubt be on ebay by now at huge prices.

Allo Darlin last night a set of half new album and half old stuff. The venue has rubbish sound but it was ok last night. Three support acts all missed cos I was so busy chatting AT THE BAR/Merch Stall. Crowd were ok and it made me smile that the drunk shouters were next to us. Its impossible to be angry at them when AD are so lovely. What made me smile even more was that one of them was wearing an EoTR Tshirt and shouted something out to the band about seeing them in the tent. A note though, its often the women who shout/chat/talk the worse at gigs :(

Paul Thomas Saunders was the opposite, when we arrived at St Pancras Old Church, which is soooo lovely and has great accoustics, there wer only about 50 people at the start of the support slot.

Monument Valley, one guy, is great live. But after he had finished playing we turned around to find the venue had filled up and we hadn't even heard a sound from the late arrivals.

PTS who I have raved about for 18 months was fantastic. It was the launch of his new ep. A young guy, clearly musically talented, and his band the Fever Dreams create a layered indie rock sound. He is shy and charming like a young Ron Sexsmith. Get to see him if you have the chance. But I would suggest that in order to hear him go to a small venue with an appreciative audience. Everyone was respectful and it was a special night.

Not a review but two gigs i have in the next few days here in Brighton if anyone fancies it?

Sat 28th Apr - Neil Halstead (yes him from Slowdive/Mojave 3) + Old lost John

Tickets http://www.wegottickets.com/event/155758

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/233483136743763/

My 2nd. Michael Chapman (yes the legend) + Hiss Golden Messenger + Red River Dialect

Tickets - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/155756

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/242555429160632/

Not a review but two gigs i have in the next few days here in Brighton if anyone fancies it?

Sat 28th Apr - Neil Halstead (yes him from Slowdive/Mojave 3) + Old lost John

Tickets http://www.wegottickets.com/event/155758

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/233483136743763/

My 2nd. Michael Chapman (yes the legend) + Hiss Golden Messenger + Red River Dialect

Tickets - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/155756

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/242555429160632/

I never thought I would enjoy Michael Crawford on stage quite as much as I did last night. Once a three piece The Staves have now doubled in size, although Michael doesn't take up too much room. This was just as well as the Portland Arms is a tiny venue.

They are indeed the antidote to The Voice, where everything is about who can shout the loudest. Beautiful harmonies and interesting songs. I just loved this gig so much. The support was a guy called Christof who has a fine line in banter about sausage sandwiches, and is a dutchman with a perfect irish accent. His songs were sweet too. Catch them if you can now cos they are on a big label and I can imagine them going far. For fans of First Aid Kit.

Richmond Fontaine, Richard Buckner, Peter Bruntnell @ The Railway, Winchester

Even taking into account my bias, Willy & Dan from RF were on terrific form on the opening night of a short tour based around their weekend appearances at Kilkenny R&R. I'm always impressed how they re-arrange the older material so it sounds a little different from when you last heard it, and tonight a first: Dan Eccles on backing vocals (very briefly). RB and PB were good too and joined Willy & Dan on stage for the encores. A very nice way to start a gig hiatus till Springsteen in Sunderland.

Richmond Fontaine, Richard Buckner, Peter Bruntnell @ The Railway, Winchester

Even taking into account my bias, Willy & Dan from RF were on terrific form on the opening night of a short tour based around their weekend appearances at Kilkenny R&R. I'm always impressed how they re-arrange the older material so it sounds a little different from when you last heard it, and tonight a first: Dan Eccles on backing vocals (very briefly). RB and PB were good too and joined Willy & Dan on stage for the encores. A very nice way to start a gig hiatus till Springsteen in Sunderland.

Dan Mangan, Zeus @ The Cluny, Newcastle

Tremendous 90 minute set from Dan The Mang and his very noisy band which took my mate by complete surprise as he had only seen some solo acoustic clips on Youtube and was expecting more of the same, Same bass player as EOTR plus drums, a trumpeter who played throughout and twiddled a few electronic knobs and the excellently named guitarist, Gord Grdini who had his own free-jazz CD on sale. Played most of 'Oh Fortune', a few from 'Nice, Nice' including a solo 'Basket' (sob!) and the traditional 'Robots' singalong and then finished stood on a chair in the middle of a decent audience conducting the harmony choruses of 'So Much For Everyone' off the first album. I love his adventurous approach to even his recent material, rather than just knocking out decent facsimiles of the records, totally different band and arrangements to EOTR, real wall-of-sound stuff at times, ferocious jamming and screaming.

Zeus were really decent too, very tight 4-piece Canadian band, big bass sound and great guitars and harmonies. Joined Dan for the last couple of songs, one of which was an Elliott Smith cover, probably Waltz # 2 but I'm afraid I wouldn't know.

Patrick Watson & Barr Brothers @ Komedia, Brighton

Following Mr Mangan, more Canadians with boisterous ex-pat support. Both new to me, but well worth the £12.50 even if it did put an end to the tour of Brighton's real ale pubs which was real purpose of my trip dangerously south. I enjoyed the Barr's low-key set enough to buy the LP.

Patrick's set was an odd mixture of gorgeous piano and vocals ballads ("To Build a Home" the stand-out), and very discordant ramblings from the five piece ("Adventures in your own backyard") which also seemed to go down well. Don't know how much the set leaned toward the new record. Patrick's interaction with the crowd was the highpoint, particularly the campfire songs he sangs a capella in the middle of the crowd, balanced on a bar stool.

Komedia is pleasant but not great for viewing more than four rows back, and the video screens seem a bit incongruous. Sound was pretty good, certainly on the solo material.

Thank you for making me feel better about missing Dan Mangan.

I was at New Order last night.

Shit sound, and Brixton Academy was way too crowded (I swear it never used to be like this). It also got better as the night/beers wore on, and the guitar-based and heavier songs worked better than stuff like Crystal and Regret. Transmission as an encore was actually spine-tingling, but I definitely won't be seeing them again. You'd think a band that has been going for 30-odd years, in the middle of a tour, in their second night at the venue, would have their sound sorted out. But apparently not.