Guest perfectpassion

I saw the big band last year at the Betsey Trotwood Winterlude thing, and really enjoyed them. I would go more for a mid-70s E-Street Band feel rather than the Brinsleys, he clearly wants to be Broooce (I saw him solo a few weeks earlier and every song he did segued into a Springsteen song!). I made the mistake of listening to Darkness On The Edge Of Town straight after Hearts & Arrows this morning and it put it firmly in its place but I'm not going to endure a stadium gig (even at the SOL) just to see Bruce so Danny at the Central it will have to be!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Floating Palace @ Sage, Gateshead

A most unlikely combination of musicians, all 'organised' by Robyn Hitchcock, produced a really enjoyable evening. Nothing stunning or revolutionary, but lots of fun. Robyn was joined by K T Tunstall, Martin & Eliza Carthy, Howe Gelb and the awesome Krystle Warren. They sang and played in various combinations, from duets to full ensemble, on a diverse selection of material that ranged from 'Sir Patrick Spens' to 'Staying Alive' and 'I Want You Back'. There was something quite lovely about watching Martin Carthy having a great time doing Bee Gees and Jackson 5 covers.

They arrived at the Sage straight from 'Celtic Connections' in Glasgow but I think they are doing a short tour - Warwick, Brighton, London I'm pretty sure of. Well worth a look if you fancy a couple of hours of top quality, if undemanding, entertainment.

My evening was made by having a nice chat with an old hero, Mike Heron, during the interval.

Lucero @ The Slaughtered Lamb, The Windmill, Brixton

Hey, hey, it's been Lucero week: two nights at the Lamb, two at the Windmill, and for good measure but a little reluctantly, they also did an unscheduled half an hour at the 12 Bar on Wednesday when The Arlenes played. They couldn't afford to bring the full band over so on this short tour of London's finest venues it was just Ben Nicholls and Rick Steff, both nevertheless legends, in my house at least.

As befits a room overburdened with comfy chairs, discarded sofas and chaises-longue, the Lamb dates seemed a little on the sedate side for even a stripped down Lucero. Good spread of songs, with Tuesday getting the edge.

From past experience of Lucero shows there, I should have known what to expect from the Windmill. It does seem to be an opportunity for all aspiring rednecks south of the river to take pause from applying bad tattoos to the backs of their heads and demonstrate how well they have memorised Lucero lyrics (surprisingly well, as it happens). On Thursday, things were fine for about twenty minutes but unfortunately my position at the front then became hard to hold: it wasn't the frequent douses of beer from glasses being waved about overhead or the pogo-ing for Tears Don't Matter Much that did it, but the tap on the shoulder which proved to be someones foot. I am too old for this sort of thing. For Friday, I went for a sheltered spot behind a pillar on the left corner, which worked pretty well. Both nights were pretty damn good, with more slow stuff on Friday, which made the hardcore revellers a little less riotous. Rick Steff even sneaked in a Randy Newman cover. Here's a clip of the finish, as Ben pretty much grinds to a halt:

Damn, I do love these guys. New album out in March. With luck, full band planning to come back in November.

Edited by RedRockRick

Is that Windmill generally a decent venue, then? I'm probably going to be in London for a few days at the beginning of next month and was thinking of going to see 'This Is The Kit' there. Also Dan Raza at What's Cookin' at the Birkbeck Tavern.

Any comments on either the artists or the venues gratefully received.

The Windmill is class. Good bar staff, a sound man who really cares about getting it right, they book good bands, and they've got a large dog who stands on the roof, staring at passers-by. The dog is called Roof Dog. He has his own fan page on Facebook, and you can buy t-shirts.

Also, I went there recently for a "secret" gig and the band cancelled at the last minute, and the owner was buying people drinks to make up for it.

Going to see Danny at the Railway in Winchester tonight, expecting full on rock'n'roll! He tore the place up last time I saw him there in September.

The Railway has a regular promoter called sxsc (www.sxsc.org) who puts on loads of EotR type stuff/Americana Richmond Fontaine and Simone Felice coming up. Great venue for anyone able to get down this way...

tUnEyArDs @ Shepherds Bush Empire

A long, long time ago in a field far, far away, I went to see tUnEyArDs play. The sky was blue, my pint was zingingly fresh, all was well with the world but halfway through their set, I began to feel incredibly nauseous. Was it the long haul along the road of hell? Was it too much sun and no hat whilst assembling my tent? Was it too many helpings of chicken bourak? Was it a cell of scientologists, known to be operating in the area, testing a death ray? Yes. Tests have proved it was all of these. Since toppling over and taking out a good third of the audience was something I didn't really feel was appropriate or dignified, there seemed no alternative but to leave and lie down with some restorative sheeps milk ice cream (strawberry). So. Unfinished bizness. Well, tonight, as before, it was perfectly OK, but I couldn't help but think with tUnEyArDs the oomph factor lies in the first twenty minutes, after that the law of diminishing returns set in. Loops, reloops and a pair of punchy saxes will get you a fair way but maybe, and it could just be me, just a little more of a tUnE would help.

Usefull footnote: the Trailer Trash Tracys, who have had some good press recently, opened, got no help with the sound (how strange at the SBE) and were, I felt, rather dreadful.

Edited by RedRockRick

Going to see Danny at the Railway in Winchester tonight, expecting full on rock'n'roll! He tore the place up last time I saw him there in September.

The Railway has a regular promoter called sxsc (www.sxsc.org) who puts on loads of EotR type stuff/Americana Richmond Fontaine and Simone Felice coming up. Great venue for anyone able to get down this way...

Going to see Danny at the Railway in Winchester tonight, expecting full on rock'n'roll! He tore the place up last time I saw him there in September. The Railway has a regular promoter called sxsc (www.sxsc.org) who puts on loads of EotR type stuff/Americana Richmond Fontaine and Simone Felice coming up. Great venue for anyone able to get down this way...

There's a couple of decent sxsc events coming up. Deep dark woods on saturday (upstairs), then Lucky Strikes and Ox next week (wednesday I think). Either of you attending either? I should be at both, although haven't got tickets for deep dark woods yet.

Also, Arbouretum (to be confirmed), which should be a cracker (if it happens).

There's a couple of decent sxsc events coming up. Deep dark woods on saturday (upstairs), then Lucky Strikes and Ox next week (wednesday I think). Either of you attending either? I should be at both, although haven't got tickets for deep dark woods yet.

Also, Arbouretum (to be confirmed), which should be a cracker (if it happens).

Busyish week thus far:

Deep Dark Woods @ Winchester, Brighton

The Railway show was perfectly decent but suffered from the volume limitation required in the Attic room. No such issues the following night at Sticky Mikes: chalk and cheese, could almost have been a different band as DDW rocked out really rather well. Extra medals for that organ sound.

Todd Snider @ The Borderline

Only UK show and first for quite a little while so not unexpectedly the old place was sold out and packed. Unsurprisingly, TS excellent as ever.

Alabama Shakes @ The Boston Arms, Tuffnell Park

What can I say? Terrific, belting vocals from Brittany Howard, like being hit by a runaway train in the best possible way. Ooh my aching knees.

Edited by RedRockRick

Field Music @ Cluny, Newcastle

Part 2 of the new CD Launch so a lot of new songs but their old keyboard player joined for the encores so some 'really old' songs too. The band were in top form and it was good to see them sell out 2 nights on enemy territory.

Leisure Society @ Cluny, Newcastle

Another packed house and they fed off the crowd. Quite rocky at times! It was good to see them in a non-festival setting though it was a bit tricky getting them all on stage with their gear. A typically interesting cover - Erasure's Respect - provoked contrasting reactions from me and me mate Bob. He can be a little too loyal and protective at times.

Danny ATCOTW @ Central, Gateshead

Everything I hoped for and maybe even a little bit more. The E Street band playing in one of the best pubs in the world. Must admit I was a trifle shitfaced after a lengthy pre-gig session before (and during!) the Sunderland v Arsenal game (I think there were more @ the Central than the Stadium Of Light though!). Apparently I still wasn't entirely happy though as when quizzed as to whether my "potentially perfect day" prediction criteria had been met, I expressed my disappointment that I had not been indecently propositioned by Rosalie Deighton. Enjoyed the support from Billy Vincent too.

Randy Newman @ Sage, Gateshead

Finally got to see one of the GREAT songwriters live and not disappointed in the slightest. Two magnificent sets with near enough everything I could have wished for, including 'Real Emotional Girl' which was a very pleasant surprise. Quite strange to see just one chap and his piano in the middle of this huge stage but his piano playing is so brilliant it's like there's a full band and orchestra there too. Marvellous