Guest perfectpassion

A few gigs of late to report on:

Bombay Bicycle Club - O2 academy, Bristol, 12/10/11

Not a good gig at all. I really enjoyed Flaws (which was the 1st BBC I listened to), and bought their disappointing third album, 'A Different Kind of Fix' before the gig. Having listened on spotify to their debut, 'I had the blues but I shook them loose', I found it to be generic, prosaic indie rock. So I went in anticipation of hearing a good deal of material from flaws, with the hope that at least their first would be neglected. I was to be disappointed. The vocals were almost inaudible, and the crowd was split into three camps: 1. NME-type teenager folk who were jumping around in the middle of the venue, arms in the air, bumping into everyone and pushing people out of the way / standing directly in front of them. 2. NME-type teenager folk who were entirely uninterested in the music, and appeared to only be there so they could say that they had been to a gig that week and saw a "cool" band. This particular brand of halfwits also seemed to take pleasure in talking through most of the songs, which was particularly irritating during the (few and far betwen) quieter ones from Flaws. GRR. 3. My wife and I. I should have known that a 'popular' band in the corporate haven of the O2 would have been this way, but it was a shame nevertheless. Oh, and the talking-through-the-f**king-music-thing was exacerbated by this being the first gig since the relative reverence of EOTR.

Herman Dune - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, 14/10/11

On completely the opposite end of the spectrum to Bombay Bicycle Club. A wonderful gig, with a small, doting crowd. No talking through songs. Wonderful selection of songs from 'Strange Moosic', without neglecting 'Next Year in Zion' and 'Giant'. David-Ivar was as charming and lovably shy as ever. And he did 'On a Saturday', unamplified, just with his voice and an acoustic guitar - a particularly special moment for me and the Mrs, as this was the first dance song at our wedding reception! Fantastic.

Jens Lekman - Thekla, Bristol, 18/10/11

Wry, witty, intelligent indie-pop, with added confetti, crisp vocals, a jolly drummer and a double encore. What a fantastic chap ol' Jens is. And all on a boat in Bristol's harbourside, where the acoustics are pretty much always perfect, the crowd necessarily small and the atmosphere thankfully intimate. My favourite Bristol venue, and Jens didn't disappoint, with a smattering of songs from "Oh, You're so Silent Jens", "Night Falls over Kortedala" and some touting of his splendid new EP, "An Argument with Myself". Great stuff. Shame that, due to work commitments, I was unable to see Lia Ices support though.

Other Lives - the Cooler, Bristol, 20/10/11

Another fantastic gig. A tiny venue on Park Street, with probably only 100 people there, most of whom were loving it. They played pretty much every song from Tamer Animals, plus a couple from their debut. The sound was much better than their Tipi set at EOTR (which I still really enjoyed) and they are becoming a very accomplished live act. Jesse was visibly overawed by the support they received; I got the impression he was expecting to come to the UK and play to 3 indifferent punters a night in a smelly pub. They are really great guys (and gal) too - had a chat with most of them after the gig, they're loving being in the UK, really enjoyed EOTR ("favourite" festival apparently) and I got them all to sign a copy of their self-titled debut which I bought at the gig (only had Tamer Animals previously). Excellent harmonies, fantastic musicianship and humble appreciation. A delight.

Got William Elliott Whitmore in Bristol and Fleet Foxes in Rome to look forward to in November. Can't ruddy wait.

Edited by Velvet Overground

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Real Estate with Spectrals supporting last night in Brighton. Both bands having released excellent albums in the last few weeks.

Spectrals were great, although I got the sense they enjoyed their set at EOTR more.

Real Estate simply have to be on the EOTR lineup next year. Their sound is absolutely made for it.

Went to see Bon Iver last night. Saw him/them at EOTR in 08 and Glasto 09 as a four piece... very different now with the new album and 9 piece band. They make a phenonemnal sound. I think I prefer it the way it was, as it's abit more to my taste, but you have to admire the fact he's doing something quite different now. It was amazing but in quite a different way, I just wish the harmonies were abit clearer in the mix. There was some beatboxing and mad jazz claranet solo at one point! An epic gig, although part of me wishes he was playing the For Emma stuff in the same way, but it's pretty dull to stand still and the venues he's playing are pretty big these days. 8/10 :-)

Bon Iver - Hammersmith Apollo

Bon Iver was pretty magnificent last night in a packed Hammersmith Apollo, We arrived too late to catch Kathleen Edwards in support, unfortunately. Unfortunate, especially because I'd heard good things about her, but the call for food was too great and we just didn't make it in time.

Having seen Bon Iver at EOTR in 2008, and finding myself struggling to hold back a few tears, I was fully expecting another emotional rollercoaster. But the 2011 Bon Iver model is a very different beast to the 2008 one. Justin Vernon, now backed by an 8 person band (including 2 drummers and a saxophonist), still lets his cherubic falsetto do the talking, so to speak. But now the layers of synths and pounding, rhythmic drums really fill out the sound.

Highlights of the show were easily Holocene, The Wolves, For Emma and the much maligned Beth/Rest. Yeah, there were low moments, as jazz noodlings reared their ugly head and, sadly, a solo-performed re.Stacks just seemed out of place amongst the bombast of the rest of the show.

Still, it was excellent and it'll be interesting to see where they go next. Garden Stage headliners at EOTR 2012? I can very much see that happening.

OH yeah, I forgot to mention how much Blood Bank rocked, well, for a Bon Iver show anyway.

And also, I meant "Woods Stage" at EOTR 2012, not "Garden Stage". I'm clearly living in the past.

Don't think there was a Bjork cover last night, it was the extended sax solo before Blood Bank that seemed to go on forever.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bon-iver/2011/hmv-hammersmith-apollo-london-england-53d1bf29.html

Yeah, Bon Iver was pretty epic and I have to disagree, the solo Re: Stacks made it's beauty stand out even more. Colin Stetson's circular breathing may have been a bit annoying before Blood Bank but they completely ripped that up. It was such a great night - even if I had to get there two hours before doors to get front centre - other highlights were of course Wolves and Skinny Love but as well Perth and a little surprisingly for me, Calgary.

I thought Kathleen Edwards was alright but nothing special.

Sorry to disturb you all - not been on here much as missed the festival this year... Due to a change in just about every aspect of my life I've a pair of tickets for Allo Darlin, Darren Hayman et al on the 3/11 at the Scala: http://www.fortunapop.com/gig_details.php?id=71 and also The Antlers on the 10/11 at Koko: http://www.koko.uk.com/listings/antlers-10-11-2011

Would use scarllet mist but it seems to have died...

Bird, Madam, Chelsea Crowell - The Slaughtered Lamb

Last night I went to one of London's best venues, the Slaughtered Lamb, for a fine evening of music...

Opening were Bird who are due to release their debut EP on Monday. They brought to mind acts like My Brightest Diamond and Lia Ices, both of whom I like, a lot (I may have mentioned this). For a new band, I was impressed with how tight they were with some strong songs. They closed with the Stooges' "I wanna be your dog" which was ....interesting. Anyway I bought an advance EP, and I'm liking it.

Next on were Madam, another female fronted band, this time from London. I had heard a few of their songs previously, and they have a new album out. For some reason, despite seemingly having brought quite a few friends along, they seemed a little nervous. They were pretty good, good lyrics and some good melodies.

Headlining was Chelsea Crowell. For some reason, despite the fact that I don't normally like a lot of Country singers, I've been giving her two albums a lot of time recently. On this occasion, she sang and played guitar, and was accompanied by an Irish chap (Colm) on guitar, and, apart from bringing the girl selling merch up to sing backing on one song, that was it. Her songs tended to stick to similar themes around failed romances and heartbreak, but she played them with a warmth and humour that came across very well.

So there you go, three fine acts in a fine venue that serves some fine beers...

Bird, Madam, Chelsea Crowell - The Slaughtered Lamb

Last night I went to one of London's best venues, the Slaughtered Lamb, for a fine evening of music...

Opening were Bird who are due to release their debut EP on Monday. They brought to mind acts like My Brightest Diamond and Lia Ices, both of whom I like, a lot (I may have mentioned this). For a new band, I was impressed with how tight they were with some strong songs. They closed with the Stooges' "I wanna be your dog" which was ....interesting. Anyway I bought an advance EP, and I'm liking it.

Next on were Madam, another female fronted band, this time from London. I had heard a few of their songs previously, and they have a new album out. For some reason, despite seemingly having brought quite a few friends along, they seemed a little nervous. They were pretty good, good lyrics and some good melodies.

Headlining was Chelsea Crowell. For some reason, despite the fact that I don't normally like a lot of Country singers, I've been giving her two albums a lot of time recently. On this occasion, she sang and played guitar, and was accompanied by an Irish chap (Colm) on guitar, and, apart from bringing the girl selling merch up to sing backing on one song, that was it. Her songs tended to stick to similar themes around failed romances and heartbreak, but she played them with a warmth and humour that came across very well.

So there you go, three fine acts in a fine venue that serves some fine beers...

Good Luck Mountain @ The Prince Albert, Brighton, Sunday.

Hooray for Mike Ferrio! As I'm sure you know, Mike's band Tandy featured New York perennial Drew Glackin, who sadly passed away three years ago. Drew was also in the Silos, but seemed to play with everyone and anyone, and was the man you called if you had a gig in New York and one of your band had gone missing: one evening I saw him playing lap steel with Frog Holler (one of my faves, get 'em over for EOTR) at the Mercury Lounge, the following night I'm at the Rodeo Bar and Drew's playing bass for Dave Childers & The Modern Don Juans. Tandy went on a little longer after Drew died, but I gather Mike's heart was no longer in it. Good Luck Mountain (the eponymous album) is dedicated to Drew, and it's one of the best records I've heard this year. I gather there were sound issues at the Green Snot earlier in the week (not one of my preferred venues) but no such problems at Brighton, in a compelling but too short set. All the Tandy albums are very fine, the new GLM is essential, MF is too self-effacing for his own good, no record deal, no distribution, just a very humble guy who produces excellent music. So I say; hooray for Mike Ferrio!

Chatham County Line @ The Coalition, Brighton, Tuesday

I can't remember the landmark this celebrated: possibly The Guilded Palace Of Sin's 10th anniversary? Whilst I'm always happy enough to see them and have done so since 2003, I'm not CCL's most wildly enthusiastic supporter: I think for this genre they're a touch too polite, and I would favour someone wilder such as the Hackensaw Boys or the South Austin Jug Band, but nevertheless after the f**kwits too my left had finished talking through the first couple of songs, CCL did get up a good head of steam, albeit that the steam was a little on the cosy side. I picked up the latest CD to add to the others, though looking at them all on the shelf I'm not sure if I've ever actually played one yet.

Footnote:much as I like Brighton, I now look forward to a rest from the M25 and the M23.

Edited by RedRockRick

Good weekend so far - Jonathan Wilson produced a lovely sound at the Roundhouse, and didn't suffer from starting with the modern classic "Gentle Spirit" . Not a great Wilco fan but enjoyed the newish stuff and the wall of sound though I confess there were no songs I'll take to my grave. Like the Roundhouse, Camden beer excellent if pricey.

Enjoyed Other Lives at the Bodega in Nottingham even more. Tiny venue, and unfortunately most of Nottingham more preoccupied with ghost tours, but a phenomenal hour of innovative noise, finishing with my other song of the year in "Dust Bowl III". A few songs drift along a bit but then there's always the spectacle of multi-instrumentation to enjoy (3 drummers, keyboard cellist and fiddle at one point - made sense at the time). Support acts failed to show !. Bodgea is cheap and cheerful but with good sound and a real ale, and an excellent Phad Thai in the noodle bar next door.

Not long now till Lanterns on the Lake ...

Am so glad that you enjoyed Other Lives, and a bit disappointed that they didn't get a bigger crowd. There are a lot of good gigs at the moment its hard to know which to chose.

As for unusual venues Westminster Library, just off Leicester Square, was probably one of the more unlikely gigs I have been to. It began with a reading by Glen Duncan from his book "The Last Werewolf" and a performance by The Real Tuesday Weld from their album based on the book.

After the interval The Miserable Rich played their new album Miss You In The Days, and it was an intimate and thrilling performance for the first night of their haunted tour. I had mildly enjoyed the previous two albums, but for some unknown reason this one has really got under my skin. Quirky, sexy funny and dark, its one of my favourite albums of the year, and one of the most intimate gigs.

Edited by perfectpassion

Agree Zahidf, it was a good reunion night, and esp nice to see AM as well!!!

Firstly it was difficult to actually get past the bar area, which had turned into Santas grotto for vinyl fetishists....I managed to get hold of Howard Hughes & David Tattersall's The Lobster Boat, a Darren Hayman ep and 2 Hangover lounge eps all for a bargain deal. I had intended to go back, I'm sure that there must be something of Allo Darling I don't yet have?

My main complaint about the Scala is that it is usually full of "chatty twats", but last night was not too bad, the main problem was trying to have a conversation between bands over the music, which was a shame, as it was brilliant seeing some other EoTR faithful.

The purpose of the evening was the final 3rd of a celebration of 15 years of Fortuna Pop. First band on were The Ladybug Transistor, classic comfortable indie pop, whose latest album Clutching Stems was released in June. They were followed by The Tender Trap (Elizabeth is an ex-member) who I really wanted to like, but found annoying.

Next was Mr "who couldn't love him" Hayman, with a full band.....he was on great form.

And finally the jewel in Fortuna's crown Allo Darlin. It was another brilliant performance, with lots of singing and dancing from the crowd. A couple of new songs, which I am not sure if they played in the big top, highlighting the forthcoming new album.

Agree Zahidf, it was a good reunion night, and esp nice to see AM as well!!!

Firstly it was difficult to actually get past the bar area, which had turned into Santas grotto for vinyl fetishists....I managed to get hold of Howard Hughes & David Tattersall's The Lobster Boat, a Darren Hayman ep and 2 Hangover lounge eps all for a bargain deal. I had intended to go back, I'm sure that there must be something of Allo Darling I don't yet have?

My main complaint about the Scala is that it is usually full of "chatty twats", but last night was not too bad, the main problem was trying to have a conversation between bands over the music, which was a shame, as it was brilliant seeing some other EoTR faithful.

The purpose of the evening was the final 3rd of a celebration of 15 years of Fortuna Pop. First band on were The Ladybug Transistor, classic comfortable indie pop, whose latest album Clutching Stems was released in June. They were followed by The Tender Trap (Elizabeth is an ex-member) who I really wanted to like, but found annoying.

Next was Mr "who couldn't love him" Hayman, with a full band.....he was on great form.

And finally the jewel in Fortuna's crown Allo Darlin. It was another brilliant performance, with lots of singing and dancing from the crowd. A couple of new songs, which I am not sure if they played in the big top, highlighting the forthcoming new album.