Bearded Theory 2012

Guest Rich BT

I've been getting into the roster of acts on Brighton's Tru Thoughts label recently, so I'd love it if any of them played at bearded theory 2013! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'd like to know is what happened to all the other independent festivals? Is BoomTown not independent, is Beautiful Days not independent, are Beat-Herder, Off The Tracks, and 2000Trees not independent?

Whilst I enjoyed Bearded Theory I'd not say it was better than BoomTown - who decided the short list? I don't remember ever getting an option to vote for a wider spectrum?

Another set of awards looks decidedly elitist (they're all AIF festivals aren't they?) - and therefore the awards are tosh!

Edited by 5co77ie

hmmm - I voted, to support Bearded because I love what they do - but I also agree with you entirely. We love Beatherder and Boomtown too - and have had many a conversation about which one we like best.

Of course, it's pointless, because we're going to them all next year anyway - we don't actually need to prefer one to the other. They are three of my favourite weekends of the year.

So, Have I actually only acted to support whatever body or agenda are holding the vote in ticking the box for Bearded?

I'll admit It was done quickly in between the things I'm supposed to be doing in my paid employment.....

Flip

I don't know if you are still looking for suggestions for the dance tent but here goes

Wobbly Squadron-understand they wil be back touring/doing festies next year after a break from playing live.

Trancient Dreams

Lunar Seed

The Egg

Bad Tango

Wotchamcallit

I thought this years line up was brilliant, esp System 7 and ZubZub. Any chance of getting ZubZub back again as well?

Well done for a superb BT dance tent, couldn't fault it!

Cheers Just7, that means a great deal!!

ZubZub played the best set I have ever seen em play at this years Bearded. Can't invite em back for 2013 [i already get stick for repeat bookings!! :-)] but if you are anywhere near Hebden Bridge in early March [saturday 2nd] you will catch them in a double-header with Spacehopper!!

[Also on Trades Club related matters I have just confirmed System 7 for later in 2013 which is gonna be f'kin mental!! and Astralasia are coming back in Jan, and Eat Static sold out 2 days ago [Oct 5th], and The Orb is selling well [Nov 2nd], and Banco De Gaia selling well [Dec 1st], and Dreadzone [Dec 15th] looking like an early sell-out!!! ]...best news tho, committee agreed shiny new PA!!! yay!!!]

Back to Magical Sounds - I can confirm I am in discussions with one of your suggestions above to headline the Sunday night...

Agreed terms with the Magical Sounds Saturday night headliner yesterday...3 months of negotiations!! International legend(s)!!!

I also thought the Bearded set was the best I've ever heard zub zub, the set just seemed to really flow, seen 'em quite a number of times and they are always good, but this one stood out! Understand you can't book them again next year, but no harm in me asking! If I could tie something else in with it, would love to visit Trades Club in March for more zub zub.

You really are putting on some great shows at the Club. Could I ask when abouts System 7 will be, or if you can't be to specific at this point, could you give a month or season even!

Thanks

Ps, very encouraged by the news that one of the bands I mentioned are possibles for BT. Keep up the good work!

What I'd like to know is what happened to all the other independent festivals? Is BoomTown not independent, is Beautiful Days not independent, are Beat-Herder, Off The Tracks, and 2000Trees not independent?

Whilst I enjoyed Bearded Theory I'd not say it was better than BoomTown - who decided the short list? I don't remember ever getting an option to vote for a wider spectrum?

Another set of awards looks decidedly elitist (they're all AIF festivals aren't they?) - and therefore the awards are tosh!

We don’t run the awards and I do agree with you on the majority of what you said. We want exposure in a very tough climate to help sales but that said I will not lose sleep or cry into a pint glass if we didn’t win. I think I have made my opinions quite clear in the past about how seriously I take the voting style awards in general.

Regarding your point surrounding BT not being better than Boomtown. I would expect Boomtown to be a lot better than us considering it was £50 per ticket more and has a larger capacity - your analogy seems about as fair as the awards you are criticising.

Edited by 5co77ie

Hi

I meant in terms of their creativity and originality not the entertainment - you have to admit the idea of holding a festival within a street facade is a pretty original one, and one that I couldn't see work until I saw it and it worked.

I guess I take best to mean the highest quality in terms of 'work' - and under that specification it is the most 'original'

although I take it anyone could take best to mean in terms of 'experience' but that's surely too subjective to even bother having an award - as in festival terms that would equate to the one with the best weather - as humans and Englishmen weather makes up a large part of our enjoyment.

To take the festivals mentioned, and bearing in mind as it's AIF members only (it seems to me) and therefore the nominations are pretty much every event which qualified with perhaps Glade missing - the festivals involved are (in my opinion as a 'work') are pretty familiar festivals in terms of their feel to one another - If I took a snapshot of inside the crowd at each during Dub Pistols playing (I use them as a played nearly every festival this summer band rather than actually them) you'd be hard pressed to tell where you were.

This year I went to BoomTown for the first time and found it something completely different (just as SGP, and Bestival where when they first started) - so for me (awards are purely subjective and I can only say for me) this year I found that one the most original. I'm afraid whilst I find Bearded very good - I don't find it original - I'd describe it as a northern Beautiful Days which for me both taking their inspiration from the old Elephant Fayre rather than doing anything new.

I also find it strange that in terms of types of festivals whilst the Glastonbury wannabes, tribute act presenting, easy going middle class, eclectic, and family friendly are catered for - proper dance festivals like Beatherder, Waveform, Glade and their like (and to some extent BoomTown) are completely missing from the list of festivals to vote for. As is probably what's been for the last decade the most original - Shambala. Is it coincidence that along with Bearded Theory Beautiful Days, Beatherder, Y-Not, Kendal Calling, and BoomTown sold out 'early' this year?

For best - I'd perhaps consider using a scale - most in demand as a criteria, that would make a much different looking best list - in fact that is probably what I was getting at - if the most in demand is the best - than surely that should be the list of events which the public liked 'best' and I realise this doesn't include the 'folk' events which sold out this year too.

And if not done like that, then as I say, perhaps an award should be shortlisted for ALL independent festivals or even perhaps all popular (well covered) independent events should be included - that's what I think I'm saying. There are also some decent festivals out there that probably didn't want to be included (I can think of 2 that like Shambala did for years prefer to remain with minimal exposure).

But then if it's going to be done on a one vote system - then the most populist and largest attended, and most well known is going to win, and if it doesn't one has to wonder how the data was processed.

Presumably now Glastonbury is independent that should win hands down every year it's on?

Edited by Rich BT

Scott I am not defending the award process at all and Efestivals know full well my opinions on voting awards. So you dont need to convert the converted. But yes if we did win something and get into the local newspapers to help drum up some ticket sales then I will take it, gladly. A two faced git I know but I dont want this happening on your line up list next year - Bearded Theory 2013.

I think the rules may have changed as from what I vaguely remember, Camp Bestival couldnt qualify due to the corporate sponsorship - however they are now advertised on the AIF site. Unless of course they are now no longer sponsored.

RDB changing the rules so that his own festie can be a member? Who'd have thought it eh? :lol:

My original point stands. The rules when they started AIF were deliberately contrived to ensure that Glastonbury couldn't be a member if it wanted to join. If those founding members are straight with Rich, they'll confirm that to him.

However politics/vested interests could determine a reason in not having them on board but surely that would be against the principles of the AIF.

That's made me laugh. A lot. :lol:

Here's a thought. There was already a festivals organisation in existence. Why did they need to create a new one?

Edited by eFestivals