Beyonce

Guest doubledutch

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Was eight pounds a pint at First Direct Arena in Leeds the other week. Surprised they get any business from any Yorkshireman at all up there.

Went to see Dave at the O2 on tube strike day so was driving and drinking the AF budweiser, still over £5 a can. It's just too expensive to eat or drink ANYTHING at these places these days.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Brownies over Budweiser.

Should get that on a t-shirt.

Plan on bringing a fair batch to Glasto. Might set a challenge on here that if anyone can ID me wearing a specific item of clothing and say "Big Ben, bestow me a brownie" they get one. 

18 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Plan on bringing a fair batch to Glasto. Might set a challenge on here that if anyone can ID me wearing a specific item of clothing and say "Big Ben, bestow me a brownie" they get one. 

That would be a hell of a game.

Anyway, back to Beyonce - briefly. Any shouts for deep cuts likely to get an airing?

Think we’ll get a fair amount of Lemonade - Formation is such a smash live, Hold Up and Sorry surely. Outside chance of All Night?

Then I’d expect the production to lean into disco/house - tracks like Blow, reworks of things like Party/Countdown? 

I would expect she’d include some older slower songs as well, given lack of those on Renaissance? Possibly a return of Halo, I Care?

I beg, no more Halo as the closer. I think some of Renaissance will be cut down/mashed up - thinking Plastic Off The Sofa and maybe a shortened version of Virgo’s Groove. She will definitely be performing parts of The Gift too - Brown Skin Girl and Spirit.

I think locks from previous albums are:

1. Partition 

2. Drunk in Love

3. Run the world

4. Single Ladies (hopefully she adds it back in after not performing in our tour properly for a while)

5. Crazy in Love

6. Naughty Girl/Baby Boy (hopefully neither)

7. Formation

8. Freedom

9. Sorry

10. Spirit

11. Brown Skin Girl

12. Diva

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

With the exception of Diva, the old songs she’s included are excellent choices. Just wish there were more of them. The absences of Halo and almost anything from Lemonade are particularly surprising. 

I think that's the problem for me. Know it is common-place for the pop show - or diva performance, it's not exclusive merely to the former - to lean extremely heavily on a new record, but at a purported two-hour-and-forty-five run-time, I'd have wondered if there was space for a few more out-and-out hits. 

It's far from a reliable metric, let me say, but only four of her ten most-played songs via that bastion of concert history, Setlist FM, are on there, with a few teases of others. Know she has seven albums and a wide array of other material to choose from, but bumping HaloIrreplaceable and either Survivor or Me, Myself and I into consideration suddenly gives it a major boost for casual fans.

Don't get me wrong, there are big cuts there - that healthy mid-section throws plenty in there - but if there's one thing I've gleaned over the years, it's that you need the hits and plenty of them to make a show close to the three-hour mark truly click. (See; Swift, Springsteen runs this year.)

Yep. I personally like it but if you don’t vibe with the new album you can pretty much leave after song 25 of 36 which is not ideal. And even beyond the heavy proportion of Renaissance songs, including Savage over one of the numerous missing bangers is a choice. The opening section is really strong but it never really follows up on that with the exception of the first Anointed bit.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. I personally like it but if you don’t vibe with the new album you can pretty much leave after song 25 of 36 which is not ideal. And even beyond the heavy proportion of Renaissance songs, including Savage over one of the numerous missing bangers is a choice. The opening section is really strong but it never really follows up on that with the exception of the Anointed bit.

I'd seen speculation that the very first section could change each show, as it is effectively her playing a twenty-minute support slot to herself. That could be a way to thread more obvious songs in on an interchanged basis, which is better than completely eschewing them.

Less than two weeks anyway. Will get a better feel on the way home, I'd imagine.

Think it was always a guarantee it was gonna be massively new album heavy, and the album is brilliant so wouldn’t hear any complaints from me, but yeah, anybody who bought tickets for the old hits (or anybody who hasn’t gotten very in to the new album) would no doubt leave a little disappointed.

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think it was always a guarantee it was gonna be massively new album heavy, and the album is brilliant so wouldn’t hear any complaints from me, but yeah, anybody who bought tickets for the old hits (or anybody who hasn’t gotten very in to the new album) would no doubt leave a little disappointed.

Guess it’s just unfortunate that she’s rolling out at the same time as the Eras tour is ongoing - unfavourable comparisons with the extreme levels of fan service on display there were inevitable. When you compare it to normal album tours for the big American superstars it’s actually pretty generous with old songs and anybody seriously complaining about a 36 song show is just silly. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy