shangri la

Guest Mr McJohnson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 4 weeks ago I was stood on the opposite side of the Thames to where the London Pleasure Gardens are going to be set up looking over at the area thinking that would make an awesome party place, perfect for something like Shangri La to take over...its bigger than the footprint of Excel (where I was standing at the time).

If it goes ahead it will be epic. A huge industrial site without any mud!!! Brilliant. I signed up to the project in the booth that was set up in SL on Sunday night and am proudly sporting my sticker on my bag now.

London Pleasure Gardens - keep you ear to the ground :D

This looks really exciting. Although part of the reason why the area is derelict is its proximity to London City Airport and the fact that a Public Safety Zone for the runway covers a (small) part of the site - generally development within a Public Safety Zone that will increase the number of people in the area is refused.

Will be interesting to see if this gets through planning.

Hope they pull it off, it's a great site for this sort of thing. In my previous work I had lots of day to day experience with the land owner and a couple of the major partners in this and collectively they are a shower of control freaks that I'm glad I never have to work with again. I hope things have changed in the time I've been gone.

This looks really exciting. Although part of the reason why the area is derelict is its proximity to London City Airport and the fact that a Public Safety Zone for the runway covers a (small) part of the site - generally development within a Public Safety Zone that will increase the number of people in the area is refused.

Will be interesting to see if this gets through planning.

Edited by Johnthebar

p.184.img.jpg?lm=2009-07-01%2014%3A52%3A56

You see the big white building on the right side of the Thames...that is the Excel building. You see the big wilderness and derelict industrial zone on t'other side of the river...

THAT is where Shangri La / The London Pleasure Gardens will be :D:D:D Woohoo!

p.184.img.jpg?lm=2009-07-01%2014%3A52%3A56

You see the big white building on the right side of the Thames...that is the Excel building. You see the big wilderness and derelict industrial zone on t'other side of the river...

THAT is where Shangri La / The London Pleasure Gardens will be :D:D:D Woohoo!

• 3 months later...

I watched the Terry Gilliam movie Brazil on BBC4 last night for the first time. Never knew it was such a huge influence on the late night area. Saw loads of influences, not least the most obvious one of the area Shangri-La, but all the information signs as well. Obviously the films lends a lot from Orwell.

Feel somewhat disappointed that the film has gone under my cultural radar.

I watched the Terry Gilliam movie Brazil on BBC4 last night for the first time. Never knew it was such a huge influence on the late night area. Saw loads of influences, not least the most obvious one of the area Shangri-La, but all the information signs as well. Obviously the films lends a lot from Orwell.

Feel somewhat disappointed that the film has gone under my cultural radar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...