Hate the farm, leave all your shit behind

Guest ministe2003

Indeed - thus my thought it's basically a monetary thing :).

I think a good start would be to have urinals with ALL toilet blocks - so that there's even less excuse for lazy blokes who can't be bothered to queue.

Note that in 2007 there WAS a campaign for people to leave tents for some charity thing. This went rather wrong because everyone's tents got very muddy, so they decided to leave them, but were of course useless due to the condition if nothing else. In 2008 they started the 'leave no trace' thing, which appropriately amused me as it was their lack of forethought that caused a load of the problems in the first place :).

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to point out..for me anyway I thought there seemed to be more younger guys/girls there this year than previous years

this could have an affect on the amount left behind? Not saying it's all younger people, but i saw a lot of young kids who were a joke, pushing, being roudy, and wouldn't be surprised if there attitude was 'fu** it let someone else pack it up and take away'

we were camped at the top of dairy ground. A group of 5 tents, two big expensive ones, beds, chairs, clothes, beer virtually everything they came with just left. If we hadnt been loaded with our own stuff those tents would now be mine. Unbelievable ignorance. Still, made sure we tidied up the beer! now in my fridge.

We left Dairy Ground at lunchtime yesterday and were amazed at the stuff left behind.

We ended up taking an extra abandoned tent with us that we will use on our next camping trip.

The place was like a millets showroom.

There is clearly an issue with the pop-up tents that require a knack to get down. Particularly after a full-on week. The one that we took was a Quecha XXL which needed some patience.

Can I suggest that we all plan to take an extra tent/ air bed home with us each year and sell them on for charity?

Fantastic festival though!

It was awful near us, we camped towards the railway line in Park Home we stuck around until about 4pm Monday and saw people leaving literally everything apart from their a bag of clothes. In one groups area I counted 6 tents, 2 gazebos and 12 chairs. I even went over to have a look because I could not believe it had been left and inside there were blow up beds, sleeping bags, cookers, cooking utensils and much more everything you could need or want.

It was disgusting really.

If people are happy to ditch £50-100 tents without a second thought then they arent packing it and taking it anywhere for a tenner! I dont know what the solutiom is. We have brought home chairs and airbeds we could easily afford to dump because thats how we think, others happily dump because thats the way they think. I honestly dont know how you can change it.

The long drops at the bottom of Kidney Mead were the most disgusting I have ever experienced, during most of Saturday and Sunday the majority of it was unusable due to selfish disgusting mindless Feckwits shitting all over the seats! It was horrid! Regarding portaloos I say keep them, the ones near the pyramid/cider bus were spotless and kept clean by team of cleaners!

As far as the bins were concerned there wasn't enough, however I believe that due to the weather forecast GFL decided that it would be best to keep the bins nearer the road/track ways, but as some of you might of seen even with the best efforts of the refuse teams they just couldnt get thru the mud! I spoke to someone who was supposed to have been working Friday AM on the refuse lorry, they were told to have the morning off as conditions were so bad that it was too dangerous to attempt rubbish collections!!!

I would understand the level of tent dumping had it been a repeat of 2007 when it was raining throughout the night and day of exit but there was no rain or bad weather throughout these hours and yet the site was a write off. I left Pennards around 3pm after some tat mooching and was so shocked by the amount of perfectly decent stuff just strewn everywhere.

I took an extra tent home with me along with my own tent (9 years old and finally got ripped but I was utterly loathe to leaving it behind).

Trying very hard to fathom a way of getting the message through.

Not enough is done by GFL to get it across. Post 07 you would have thought there would/could have been rolling videos on the screens of the devastation.

During the recording of Infinite Monkey Cage, Shappi Korsandi nearly had me in tears when she likened the G to all refugee camps on this planet created due to natural disaster and famine etc but a place where we choose and pay to live like this. Get those videos up showing exactly this and shame every motherf**ker out there!!!

We left with all our kit ..including 2 brand new tents ...air beds ...4 new albeit muddy cool bags ...camping chairs ...3 new sleeping bags that were in their stuff bags ... portable bbq ...food beer ...thank you to all the lazy fudgers camped at D ...we now have loads of lovely new camping stuff..and more .... i cannot believe the amount of stuff left behind ..people seem ignorant of the fact that it is a working Farm .... wouldnt blame Michael if he decided to take the next five years off as fallow years.... i had a brilliant time with my partner and friends .... and have enough respect to clean up after my self .... shame others dont...

My biggest WTF moment was on the monday morning when we were heading back to the car.

I'd drunk all my booze and wanted it done in one trip so had a big traveling backpack on (with camping stove, kettle, sleeping bag etc attached to the outside) carrying a pop-up tent and a camping chair. It wasn't a whole lot of stuff and certainly wasn't that heavy, although the pop-up tent disc is a bit unwieldy, and when crossing the main road just over the bridge on the path that leads from the Other stage to the pyramid stage there was a steward sitting in a chair with a megaphone calling out various things to everyone, caught sight of me and bellowed out "f**king hell mate, got enough stuff with you there!" to the amusement of those around. I asked him how the hell else he expected it to get cleared away.

Reading about all this stuff that is left behind though I think I might wait until Monday evening future though and make a couple of trips with all the stuff left behind. Could probably pay for my whole festival with a bit of ebaying!

I think It's an issue of trying to influence attitudes as much as just helping to clean up the site after the fest. sooner or later somethings gotta give and cheap tents/equipment will no longer be an option. Until we'll just keep throwing and buying I guess :(

Re: welly washers

I washed my wellies down a couple of times. Yes they got muddy again, but sometimes the mud was so caked on, it was like carrying round an extra stone on each foot. Washing the mud off made them much lighter and more easy to walk in.

I packed up my tent and as much rubbish in a bag as I could, but unfortunately Glastonbury do nothing to help people here. We had to search around for ages on the Friday for a bin bag, there were no bins near us and when that got filled up we had no option other than to leave rubbish on the ground beside the bag. The bins in the arenas were constantly overflowing with nobody to empty them.

I think people will be much more environmentally friendly if the organisers make it easy for people to do. Let's be honest, everyone has the best intentions but at 9am on Monday mornign after a heavy night, 80% of people aren't going to go on the search for a bin bag. Whereas if they were freely available, along with "tent dumps" maybe, I think you would have found a lot more of the tents / rubbish cleared away.

I agree the site looks a mess, but for the majority of people there was nowhere to throw your tent/rubbish away!

Took every bloody thing home. Proud to say it.

That being said, should there be designated recycling areas for disposed tents & chairs on the last day of the festival? If people are going to leave stuff - the "Leave No Trace" campaign is only partly working - then could they institutionalise it?

Just my view but I think that people who left stuff may have bought it on site, came by public transport/coach and went back in someone's car, got really cheap supermarket camping gear, never realised how far they would have to carry all their stuff, had their tickets and camping gear bought by mummy and daddy, don't plan on ever going camping again and plan to either campervan it or book into tangerine fields etc. Tick any or all if above! Or they were just too wrecked and couldn't be bothered.

Having just spent all afternoon drying and cleaning 2 tents which we brought back in my very small garden if I lived in a flat or something I am not sure how easy it would be to do it. No excuses though for the mess people left - just lazy. At the very least people could tidy up and leave anything they couldn't be bothered to take home in a central place.