Hate the farm, leave all your shit behind

Guest ministe2003

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People shouldn't need any incentive though. Again it comes down to sheer lack of respect. Maybe everyone shouldn't be allowed to leave until they've done a shift of litter picking. And I mean every single festival goer. Then I think people would realise how shit it is cleaning up their unnecessary mess

It's so disappointing to see the mess that's left on Monday. Puts a very slight downer on the whole thing. I do think the organisers just accept it though and it does get cleared away very quickly. By the end of the week it's looking reasonably tidy.

But the thing that really bothers me is the wastefulness. Groups of people leaving hundreds of pounds worth of stuff behind. I just don't understand how people can afford to do that, and if they really can, surely you'd pack it up and donate it to charity. It takes barely 30 mins to pack up everything, unless you are some retard who shouldn't have been let out for the weekend. It's not just Glastonbury where this happens, it seems to happen at most big festival now, but it's by far the worst.

My friend walked past a wall where folk were p**sing all over and the security guard walked behind the fence and shaked it! He said the folk against the wall got covered! haha

The beauty of Glasto above most other festivals is that if you can carry enough food and drink to the site, you don't have to spend a penny on food and drink. I spent less this year than I ever have - about £130 over 5 days. £26 a day isn't exactly a lot of money is it?!

And all that is beside the point. Regardless of what you spend, it's not an excuse to leave your stuff behind

Oh and I should point out that all our rubbish was packed up. I did leave a tent, but packed it up and left it by a bin (unfortunately my transportation plans went wrong so it was a fair bit harder to get stuff back and it turned out this tent was missing half of it's useful bits when I set it up anyway.

It's sad to see but I really think the festival could be doing more about it, as the majority of people are completely oblivious to the damage they are causing. The only time I saw anything about the "Leave No Trace" campaign was a tiny section in the program, it should be on the screens between acts, on signs, in the portaloos / long drops, everywhere. The only reason I didn't use hedges as urinals at the campsite was because I've been reading these boards for the last couple of months and generally reading about the festival, so I knew of the damage it causes - many don't and are simply unaware. Of course there will always be people who wouldn't care regardless, but I think a large percentage would if better informed.

The campsite crew could be doing a lot more in my opinion - have a walk around and if you notice anyone being overly messy then have a word, threaten eviction if needed. The only thing I saw was a couple of cards on tents in Pennards with "Take it home" on them - what good is this if the people are already gone?

Also, the bins were overflowing in most places, especially in the Park - tables were stacked 10 plates high with rubbish on Saturday. I know they weren't expecting so much rain/mud so that probably used up a lot of resources, but I didn't see one litter picker for the the whole of the festival. If the bins are overflowing it's not exactly sending out a positive message.

It's shameful. I saw plenty of folk pissing right next to toilets - having a good look about beforehand, so they knew they shouldn't have been doing it.

So many (seemingly) discarded tents by 12pm too. I think it's a combination of cheap gear and the general attitude many people seem to have nowadays. We talked about harsher penalties like expulsion from the site if caught urinating in public. I'm not usually a fan of punative measures, but it might help dissuade a few folk. Not sure how to ensure people clear up, as the festival's already over by then, but maybe barring them from future attendance if spotted leaving a mess might work?

Nothing to do with money I'm afraid, just a total lack of respect.

Same goes for people who leave all their rubbish and cans on the fields where they drop them, p*ss anywhere they fancy and push and shove when in a crowd because their need to get somewhere is so much more important than anyone else's.

The really worrying thing is this isn't restricted to any particular demographic either.

Whilst watching Chemical brothers, a girl right infront of us crouched down and pissed in the middle of a crowd, me and my sister thought she was ill asked her friend if she was ok, her friend said 'she's taking a piss' and when we said 'uurrggh thats gross' her friend just said 'don't look then', i needed the loo, but would never do it there and then!! Discusting!! :O

We tidied everything up, and the bins were overflowing, so we just left our stuff by the side, the state and total lack of repect amazed me, if it was raining hard, with thick mud i could understand, but the ground was dry there is no excuse, just laziness!! :(

I know this isn't going to go down popular here but we had to leave our tent. We were camped half way up Pennards and our tent got absolutly deluged with slurry and all sorts of sh!t on the Saturday. If it was just mud we wouldn't have been arsed and would have took it home, but the stench and massive maggots from inside our tent convinced us not to bother. The fact that people were pissing against the walls in the urinals which was mixing with the same mud that was going down the hill made me think otherwise about bringing the tent back. All this was caused because of the tap at the top of the hill. If there's no drainage for the water to go then obviously its going to cause a problem somewhere.

I know this isn't going to go down popular here but we had to leave our tent. We were camped half way up Pennards and our tent got absolutly deluged with slurry and all sorts of sh!t on the Saturday. If it was just mud we wouldn't have been arsed and would have took it home, but the stench and massive maggots from inside our tent convinced us not to bother. The fact that people were pissing against the walls in the urinals which was mixing with the same mud that was going down the hill made me think otherwise about bringing the tent back. All this was caused because of the tap at the top of the hill. If there's no drainage for the water to go then obviously its going to cause a problem somewhere.

Don't forget two things. (1) the site is made up of multiple WORKING farms. It's not unused space. Every day the site is unclean is a day less for the animals in their fieids. (2) most of the festival's bank balance goes to charity.

I dragged it down. But in all honesty I didn't want to touch it. I ain't squeamish about getting muddy or dirty at all. But the smell and what was living in it made me want to just leave it there.

The annoying thing is, is that this was because of the tap at the top of the hill rather then the rain.

I dragged it down. But in all honesty I didn't want to touch it. I ain't squeamish about getting muddy or dirty at all. But the smell and what was living in it made me want to just leave it there.

The annoying thing is, is that this was because of the tap at the top of the hill rather then the rain.

Edited by ministe2003

Nothing to do with money I'm afraid, just a total lack of respect.

Same goes for people who leave all their rubbish and cans on the fields where they drop them, p*ss anywhere they fancy and push and shove when in a crowd because their need to get somewhere is so much more important than anyone else's.

The really worrying thing is this isn't restricted to any particular demographic either.

Some could argue that queuing up for 6 hours in driving rain with no thought from festival organisers for keeping queues together showed a lack of respect, so in turn if the festival can't show respect, why the f*ck should the punters?

Oh and for the record I did clear everything of mine up, but that's just me I certainly didn't do it for the festival itself.

Lets face it, many on here have already said to that yank that you can't expect to turn up at Glasto with 170k people and not expect thefts, likewise rubbish.

If the tent was so bad, where were you sleeping at night? Did you have to camp with a friend? The taps are a bit of a problem, they always get blocked and overflow, plus silly people use the standing taps to clean their effing wellies, before walking back through the sludge! People seen doing that should be immediately kicked off site for being too thick to attend the festival.