Hate the farm, leave all your shit behind

Guest ministe2003

But that statement in it's self is so vauge to be pretty much useless.

Changing the climate in way a that 'matters'?

Changing the climate MORE than it's changing by it's self?

Changing the climate to a degree that is significant?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha. "Beyond reasonable doubt". Maybe your expectations are too high.

If you're camped near the bottom of Pennards, it's pissing it down, the drains are obviously not working, the water level is approaching your tent, and your mate says "I'm 80% sure that lake's going to reach our tent. Let's move it.", do you say "No, I'm not moving the tent until we're 100% sure"?

No, you say 80% confidence is a reasonable level to start taking some precautions.

And the consensus view of scientists on climate change is much greater than 80%, that man's CO2 output is causing temperature increases that are going to lead to significant problems for huge numbers of people (flood, famine etc.)

(Oh, and it's "are contributing" not "have contributed")

Indeed, my point :).

I would tend to agree that we are probably making some reasonable changes and we PROBABLY should be worried about it.

However, it's also possible we'll find that what is currently accepted now is incorrect and it's actually a blip to solar activity (a popular excuse I see for those burying their head), or could be that overall it's decided it will actually benefit the world altogether.

Indeed, my point :).

I would tend to agree that we are probably making some reasonable changes and we PROBABLY should be worried about it.

However, it's also possible we'll find that what is currently accepted now is incorrect and it's actually a blip to solar activity (a popular excuse I see for those burying their head), or could be that overall it's decided it will actually benefit the world altogether.

Whether Global Warming is a reality or true cause for concern or not (and I'm in the camp that believes it is), it still does no harm to attempt to reduce our consumption and lead 'greener' lives. It's rather like going to Glasto and just leaving your rubbish behind. Yes, sure, someone will come along and clean up the mess but in a civilised society we shouldn't be making so much mess in the first place.

Do you mean Mercury?

There's about 120g of Potassium in you. It's a pretty benign element.

Mercury is a poison, and an eco CFL lighbulb contains about 1mg of mercury. But that's not very much compared to the mercury released by the power plant to power the equivalent old-style bulb.

My main complaint about CFL bulbs is that they take so long to warm up. When I turn on a light I want to see *now* dammit.

Edited by Bender

Back to the original topic.

I read somewhere that one reason the festival is not too happy with the waste is the increase in landfill tax (which the festival is directly accountable for). I guess the lazier people are the more chance of it showing on the price of our ticket :(

Even the threat of increased ticket costs won't deter people leaving all their rubbbish I imagine. Whats a few quid on a ticket when they are leaving £30 - £100sss worth of camping equipment behind.

"I read somewhere that one reason the festival is not too happy with the waste is the increase in landfill tax (which the festival is directly accountable for). I guess the lazier people are the more chance of it showing on the price of our ticket."

Yes, they really ought to make this point clearer. Don't bother including it on the Fine Guide as I reckon most punters don't bother to download and read this now its not bundled with the ticket. Put a reference to it on the ticket itself - along the footer in bold! Something like, "A percentage of this ticket price goes to removing rubbish from the farm after the festival. Help keep the price from rising and take all your belongings with you and dispose of your waste responsibly!"