Leave No Trace

Guest shangri-la_steward

I went to get binbags from the Pennards crew at the crossroads in the middle and I could not get any. Multiple times. Five or six attempts. Gave up in the end. We left our area as we left it and we took everything we could. Any rubbish we did have was piled neatly next to the road.

They used to give you binbags as you entered the site didn't they?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave no trace? You must be joking.

We camped in Michael's Mead. Just behind us was a large camp of 14 or so youngsters, mostly lads. There was a gazebo and 4 tents, one of them a very large structure, probably slept 8. They all looked very new.

This morning as we were preparing to pack up, the young morons started trashing their camp. By 'trashing' I mean jumping into the tents until they collapsed in a heap and then slashing at them with metal tent poles until they were in tatters. They then left the carnage and buggered off home.

The only good thing to come out of it was that they left a pair of ladies Hunter wellies behind, which my daugther rescued and will be cleaned and placed on e-bay, doubtless to be bought by some other little twat with more money than sense (or rich parents).

Sorry to sound bitter, but this sort of knobheadery really makes me mad.

How about this:

• When buying tickets, sell a tent deposit (£30-£50 per tent) when you buy your parking pass, you're then sent a ticket in the post.

• On the way out, present your nicely wrapped up tent get security (or campsit crew) to authorise the ticket.

• Deposit then gets returned. All unclaimed deposits pay for tent removal. I'd gladly pay as I know I clear up after myself.

If all of these tickets were barcoded, security could just scan you on the way out.

Its more to do with the fact that people buy tents so cheaply, they're a pile of crap and they never go camping at other time. If you're never going to use a tent again and its not worth anything then most people won't see the point of taking it home no matter what messages are on the big screen. The only way to change some peoples attitude is an incentive. Obviously those who use their tents regularly value them so will always take them home.

Its more to do with the fact that people buy tents so cheaply, they're a pile of crap and they never go camping at other time. If you're never going to use a tent again and its not worth anything then most people won't see the point of taking it home no matter what messages are on the big screen. The only way to change some peoples attitude is an incentive. Obviously those who use their tents regularly value them so will always take them home.

Piccy 'borrowed' from the Glasto twitter feed (so presumably taken sometime earlier on today) showing an entire camp partly trashed but basically just abandoned:

2011%20abandoned%20camp.jpg

They couldn't even be @rsed to take home what they brought in never mind what they purchased on site :( Quelle Surpise and all that but it still really pisses me off I'm afraid and I don't suppose for one minute that it's anything like the only example on site either :angry: x lots

Animals. Everyone near us left a shedload of stuff. Truly disgraceful. I felt like a very lonely person taking all my stuff home and putting all my rubbish into the correct recycling/black bags. Always messy but it did seem pretty bad this time.

Hate the thought of leaving anything behind, and that includes bags of rubbish which we put by the bins. A friend left an airbed and a sleeping bag this year. I at least shamed them into putting away into a bag properly.

I hate walking everything back out again, but that's the price you pay for a good time!

Edited by Leedspete

to be fair, the whole time i was there i was quite surprised at the amount of litter around site. as my first Glastonbury i thought there would be a lot more conciousness toward using the bins, where as i found a lot of people finishing drinks & just chucking their stuff on the floor. It really riled me as it does not take much to put the empty cans back in the bag you carried the full can over in, or just use a bin bag then take it over to the bin points.

however, i did feel that the bins were way too full & just weren't being emptied enough? a lot of litter was tipping out by the saturday evening near pyramid, then did not look any better sunday morning... not sure if they were emptied?

Dairy ground near park wasn't TOO bad this morning when we left, there were still quite a number of people there though.

I think the mud meant that the bin emptying was behind where it might have been. Let's not forget the logistics of moving tractors around mud & crowds (who often walk on the roads as they tended to be the least muddy) was probably a nightmare behind the scenes.

This, and the lack of bin bags, made it worse than usual - at least, IMO. I couldn't get them for love nor money. Had to rely on the couple I had with me from general camping.

What I was surprised at was the seeming increase in wanton damage. People nest to me slashed their tent before leaving. I just knew they'd leave it (and all their shitty trashed stuff), and had my eye on their new tent. Totally at a loss as to why they felt the need to slash it. Noticed it on a few tents in Kidney Mead today.

Weird.

the camping crew on Pennards were putting tags on people's tents asking them to take them home. How effective? I don't know. The mess left was horrible. Lazy, lazy people. We camped on Dairy, and the difference in how the field was left was quite different. I still can't believe they don't hammer the message home on the big screens between acts.

Not wanting to excuse for these litter monkeys by any means but they should just have a separate camping area for everyone who is intending to leave their rubbish behind. at least that way it's all consolidated into one place (and easier for the cleaners). It's obvious they are not getting the 'leave no trace' thing. Also it might make a for a more fun festival having the selfish in their own place. I call it a nappy camping. B)

Won't work I know

Edited by hedgepeg

I have to say in disabled we left nothing on our pitch as was most of the field. However we did not get given bin bags either but used our own. We live in a throw away society and as such can only expect that. I hate looking at the pics but I did not expect anything less. :( there is no way to resolve this as for every 1000 people who pick their shit up there will be 1000 who will not. I am glad on reflection I am not going back.

One mans litter is another mans treasure.

I not only went home with the tent I have used for the last 5 festivals, I also went home with a pop-up tent that the people in the camp next to us didnt want to take down.

I mean, seriously? That thing cost you about £50 and it only takes you 3 to 4 minutes to dismantle. Weighs less than half a kilo too.

It may be bright pink but I dont care. I see it as a £50 offset of the festival ticket.

My girlfriend doesnt seem keen on going in 2013 so I will take this smaller tent if its just me. Smaller footprint and all that.

I may take a trolley next time, and load up on the many £150-200 tents that get abandoned in good nick. Stock them up on the trolley then sell them on ebay. I would probably be the only person going into the festival with an empty trolley!!!! But I would make the money back on the ticket

Much as I agree with people cleaning up after themselves in the campsite, as this morning was really shocking for me compared to previous years with regards to the rubbish, I think you can never expect people to not litter by the stages. Let's be realistic, no one is going to bother losing their space in the crowd and potentially lose all their friends that they are with, to go and put their litter in a bin. This is even more the case when people are intoxicated which is obviously often the case at Glasto!

One mans litter is another mans treasure.

I not only went home with the tent I have used for the last 5 festivals, I also went home with a pop-up tent that the people in the camp next to us didnt want to take down.

I mean, seriously? That thing cost you about £50 and it only takes you 3 to 4 minutes to dismantle. Weighs less than half a kilo too.

It may be bright pink but I dont care. I see it as a £50 offset of the festival ticket.

My girlfriend doesnt seem keen on going in 2013 so I will take this smaller tent if its just me. Smaller footprint and all that.

I may take a trolley next time, and load up on the many £150-200 tents that get abandoned in good nick. Stock them up on the trolley then sell them on ebay. I would probably be the only person going into the festival with an empty trolley!!!! But I would make the money back on the ticket

We were camped up on Paines Ground, or the bit to the west of Paines Ground marked on the map that's still public camping.

There were a lot of tents and gazebos left in our field, also chairs, air mattresses and the other usual crap.

We camped in the same spot last year and I must admit I didn't think it was much worse this year than last. However, it was still a right mess.

I don't have any easy solutions though - people need to show a bit more respect!

I'm really shocked by the mess left in the camping areas. How can people actually think that it is acceptable? I get that rubbish is going to be dropped whilst watching the acts. At VW shows your neighbours would kick off big time if you left that much mess lol

Up in the campervan fields where we were camped the place was spotless. Our group recycled our rubbish as did a few others around us.