Can workers set up camp in public fields before Wed?

Guest lola_bobz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was posted on the Oxfam forums

The Oxfam crew camp is outside the fence, what was said is that security will be doing a sweep of the camping fields Tuesday

evening and removing all tents from the public camp areas, and after the gates open on Wednesday people with crew wrist bands

will be turned away if they are carrying camping gear

my issue isn't with workers camping on 'punter' sites (although it is a pain), rather, workers pre erecting their mates tents on punter sites. The workers have their own areas - so theoretically, pre 8.00am on Wednesday morning, there should be zero tents in the punter campsites.

It may feel that way, but in reality - before gates open - there's maybe 100 tents across the whole site pitched against the instructions not to do it.

Is it taking the piss? Yes. Is it the reason paying punters are hemmed in? No. Not even with the over allocation of crew camping in Pennards (which is slashed this year). The popular campsites are rammed to the max. The reality is they're rammed full of punters, not crew.

It may feel that way, but in reality - before gates open - there's maybe 100 tents across the whole site pitched against the instructions not to do it.

Is it taking the piss? Yes. Is it the reason paying punters are hemmed in? No. Not even with the over allocation of crew camping in Pennards (which is slashed this year). The popular campsites are rammed to the max. The reality is they're rammed full of punters, not crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, just seen this photo in the favourite glasto pics thread over in chat. It was apparently taken Tuesday evening. As far as I can tell, as a conservative estimate, there are at least 30 tents at the top of Pennards alone, just below the Tipis. That is just one field, there would have been plenty more at the top of big ground, west holts, and the previously mentioned pyramid palace.

Just thought I'd post this in response to the people who've worked on site and claim there's a tiny amount onsite before the festival starts - still likely only a tiny fraction, but they're in the best places.

ViewfromBB.jpg

Edited by p.pete

well in that case they could be crew tents .

Thanks to /index.php?showuser=2109">Staberinde who took the image and /index.php?showuser=49771">r0cky who edited it

image taken a week before Glastonbury 2010

Staberinde will be flying over the Monday before Glasto so we will soon work out how many stray tents there is.

I got to my favourite spot at the top of Pennards Hill at 10am last year to find it literally full of crew tents. Most of them looked like they had been there for days with camp fires and even fencing rigged out of firewood. I reckon I got the last available spot.

I was a bit peeved after getting there as early as possible after queuing for the gates to open.

I have a relative working there now for the catering crew who has told us he has asked and been told it is ok if he comes and collects our tents from us in the queue and puts them up...I was very happy but might have to rethink :(

He was only going to take the footprint though not the whole tent as we have glasto virgin friends with kids with us this year and really wanted to get into the Family camping. Last year we got across there about 11 and the place was jampacked already including cars and vans dropping stuff off!!

His campsite is inside the main fence so he would be ok going in and it would only be after the gates open anyway.....so would this be acceptable hmmmm

Might get him to recheck what the rules are just to be sure

Edited by Donnababycatcher

Sorry but unless you have another source the images will be Monday 20 th of June and you will have to watch out for Staberinde post as I will be working at Bob Dylan and then be racing home to get ready ' but I do know he intends to share the images '

he plans to film in HD This year so lots of opportunities to zoom in.

I know there is crew camping all over the place but that image is not clear enough to zoom in to see if its fenced off.

All I know for sure is the last time I camped in a public area was 1987.