Can workers set up camp in public fields before Wed?

Guest lola_bobz

I got to my favourite spot at the top of Pennards Hill at 10am last year to find it literally full of crew tents. Most of them looked like they had been there for days with camp fires and even fencing rigged out of firewood. I reckon I got the last available spot.

I was a bit peeved after getting there as early as possible after queuing for the gates to open.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about if workers and non workers are planning to share their camping space/tent accommodation?

Would it be possible for workers to move camp on wed morning to public areas? or even non workers to get into the workers area so they can share accommodation on the workers camp?

We last camped in 2008, on arrival in Williams at no later than 9am there were quite a few tents and car up by the fence at the top of the field. These were guys working for security who were moving now the public were arriving. They were gone within the hour but left at least half a dozen glass bottles and litter which I cleared up. :angry:

So maybe some are encourage to camp in the public areas until the gates open??

I can kind of understand the fencing at the bottom of Row Mead. The fencing can't stop anyone camping next to them, as that's where the path is, it's more to stop people walking on the path trying to get past the massive crowds entering or leaving between and after acts by walking over their tents. I remember seeing a couple of tents being badly trodden on by people walking up there in the crush between Amy Winehouse Jay-Z.

Apart from anything else the site insurance only covers workers and I am sure in the T&C there will be a condition that excludes all non workers.

I know if they are with the WBC they will be told that they cant bring in any friends at any time and most other crews will have the same rules.

Every year we get more and more red tape and at every event we have to sign a contract of employment - if we don't sign we cant be a volunteer.

the latest is we have to sign a statement from the Border Agency confirming that we are legal in the UK.

I am surprised that we don't have to show our Birth Certificate but that may be in the wings for next year.

At least I don't have to prove I am 18 but of course the younger ones do get their ID Checked.

The workers in our group did try very hard to get a ticket, but didnt have any luck. I on the other hand was very lucky in one of the resales.

They have organised to work so thy can still make the festival.

Arent they working for their ticket anyway?

Yes, I will not be crew.

Im not looking for any perks like hot showers / flushing toilets. Just would like the chance for our group to camp together that is all.

Dont mind all the hassle of lugging stuff around the site and queuing as I know that the festival is worth it, however if there is a chance of having to queue up for upto 7 hours on my own with a load of gear im not looking forward to it I need the loo etc.

No doubt ill get chatting to people in the queue but not sure if it will be someone trust worthy to leave my stuff with them.

you can see a few random tents in the videos that is on the first page of

http://www.worthyfm.com/

will find out for myself as I should arrive at 3pm Tuesday although I am not going hunting for random tents but will take some shots - all I know for sure is I am camping in my crew area and will not be putting up any tents for anyone else.

Nevermind the fence. That's a goddamn gazebo there. How blatant do you want to be?

Someone should email the offices - I know the workers get to see the bands too, but at the end of the day they're there to work. We're the ones who've spent 6 hours online buying tickets, struggled with resales, scraped together cash, queued for six hours to get in, and paid £200 for the privilage!!

Edited by Amii

Early set up in public areas by crew is getting more noticeable each year.

There HAS to be some perks to being crew/volunteers ( I am stewarding at Womad this year and prob G2013 ) BUT the landgrab and wood hoarding that seems to get worse each year isn't really fair, given the majority of crew have access to their own private areas. They may not choose to camp there, but it is an option.

Ticketholders have no such option, and get edged out as a result. In Family Camping last year, we were in and looking for a spot by mid morning ( maybe 2 hours after the field "opened" ) yet there were LOADS of groups of big tenst that had obvioulsy been there since Tues or earlier.

Takingf the prime spots in popular areas for ticketholders is just taking advantage imo, and there should be no setting up outside of crew areas unitl Wed - so if you are crew, and wish to relocate to a public area it shouldn't be before wed morning... what amounts to sneaking in early isn't fair......the aerial shots show crew camps are much less dense than public areas- and that is partly explained by the number of crew in the public area when the punters arrive.

Edited by beodeejay

Early set up in public areas by crew is getting more noticeable each year.

There HAS to be some perks to being crew/volunteers ( I am stewarding at Womad this year and prob G2013 ) BUT the landgrab and wood hoarding that seems to get worse each year isn't really fair, given the majority of crew have access to their own private areas. They may not choose to camp there, but it is an option.

Ticketholders have no such option, and get edged out as a result. In Family Camping last year, we were in and looking for a spot by mid morning ( maybe 2 hours after the field "opened" ) yet there were LOADS of groups of big tenst that had obvioulsy been there since Tues or earlier.

Takingf the prime spots in popular areas for ticketholders is just taking advantage imo, and there should be no setting up outside of crew areas unitl Wed - so if you are crew, and wish to relocate to a public area it shouldn't be before wed morning... what amounts to sneaking in early isn't fair......the aerial shots show crew camps are much less dense than public areas- and that is partly explained by the number of crew in the public area when the punters arrive.

It's probably too little too late but email send to office@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk (feel free to copy and resend!):

Dear Glastonbury Festival Office,

I am really looking forward to getting onsite tomorrow morning and beginning my wonderful Glastonbury experience all over again. One of the things that makes it a great festival, and wonderful experience, is the location and wonderful surroundings. As such, by arriving early I hope to camp in as nice a place as possible.

As an avid reader of the efestivals website it has come to my attention that a lot of tents get set up in the more popular fields before the festival starts - reducing the camping options of the paying public, and people queueing up outside making efforts to be there as early as possible, or indeed people who can't arrive until Thursday or Friday and get squeezed out into the margins of the festival due to people not using space allocated to them in their workers - effictively being accomodated twice by the festival.

I have heard that the official story is that tents that aren't where they are supposed to be will be taken down tonight. There is visual evidence that there is a lot of tents already positioned on Pennards looking here: /index.php?showtopic=161450&st=60">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=161450&st=60 and it is some people's opinions that areas such as Cockmill Meadow which was family camping was a no-go area for many who couldn't get in early enough on account of queuing at the gates last year.

It saddens me to think that people who are friends of workers can have their tent already erected and waiting for them, and that such land-grabs are taking place. This email is probably reaching you a little too late, and I can imagine this is a hugely busy day for you, so I wish you good luck and I hope it's another wonderful year. But if there is any way for you to check / ensure that tents are being cleared this evening (maybe they could be held to be collected after the main queues have died down at the pedestrian gates), I would be enormously appreciative,

Warm Regards,

My Name