Who Is The Ultimate Headliner of the 21st Century...So Far?

Guest Desmond 48

The Ultimate Headliner of the 21st Century...So Far  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 21st century headliners put on the best performance? ('00-'05)

• Oasis
    • Pulp
    • Stereophonics
    • Travis
    • Manic Street Preachers
    • Eminem
    • The Strokes
    • Foo Fighters '02
    • The Prodigy
    • Linkin Park
    • Blur
    • Metallica '03
    • The Darkness
    • The White Stripes
    • Green Day
    • Pixies
    • Foo Fighters '05
    • Iron Maiden
  2. 2. Which of the 21st century headliners put on the best performance? ('06-'10)

• Franz Ferdinand
    • Muse
    • Pearl Jam
    • Razorlight
    • RHCP
    • Smashing Pumpkins
    • Rage Against The Machine
    • The Killers
    • Metallica '08
    • Kings of Leon
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Radiohead
    • GNR
    • Arcade Fire
    • Blink 182

Basically, I've devised a poll to decide who the ultimate headliner is of the 21st century...so far.

The headliners are split into two lists of '00-'05 and 06'-'10, so choose one from each. Please do let us know what you loved about the two performances you've chosen as well.

Obviously not everyone has seen all these headliners, but I'm more than certain there's videos floating about on youtube that'll give you a good impression of what they were like, so feel free to make a decision based on video evidence.

It'd be interesting to hear what some of you veterans have to say about earlier performances as well.

I'll give this a week or two then start a new poll with the winner from each list up against one another to decide who the best headliner of the 21st century has been so far.

The bands are in chronological, but I'm sure you guessed that already.

You'll also notice that Guns and Roses are missing from 2002, but that's because they only played Leeds. I think to be classed the headliners, they must have played both festivals.

Remember, it's not a case of you thinking they're the best band in a general sense, it's a case of how good you think the performance was.

Anyway, enjoy!

Edited by Desmond 48

I've went for Pulp and Arcade Fire. Pulp were pretty amazing at Reading in 2000 and Arcade Fire's set last year will go down in folklore as they were an act on the cusp of greatness. Some great headline sets over the last ten years though.

I've gone for Metallica twice. Wait, hear me out. In 03 they did simply blow me away - massive sound, great show - amazing.

For the second set of bands, although I've been to Leeds for most of the days, I haven't seen that many main stage headliners (normally at lock up headliners), so out the ones I've seen, Metallica were the best, but not as good as the 03 performance.

I put Eminem for the first one because it would have been awesome to have seen him before he sold out and turned a bit shit.

Arcade Fire for the second one because I went to see them having not really paid attention to them before, and I was blown away and instantly won over. It was an amazing evening.

I voted Green Day because after what happened at Reading with 50 Cent getting bottled off and Green Day coming on early and playing a longer set I think it made the performance more memorable and sealed their place as festival legends with the punters. And they were very good as well.

Voted Arcade Fire in the second as it was a great culmination of previous amazing performances at Reading, their great albums and increasing popularity.

I went for Pixies and Arcade Fire, didn't start going til 08 but my friends who were there in 05 still rave about how good Pixies were.

Was a tough choice between RATM and AF but the sound was slightly off for Rage and they played much better at Finsbury and Download, whereas Arcade Fire was just a perfect show, especially with all the doubt around the booking and then it just culminated to one of the most incredible 90 minutes of my life.

Went for Pixies and Metallica 08.

Pixies - just amazing

Second list was a lot harder, toss up between Metallica, Pearl Jam and Rage. Was at Reading 08, Rage were amazing on the Friday but Metallica just showed how truly great they are to close the weekend with nearly the full Master of Puppets album (and I nearly went to see The Cribs instead!).

Agree totally with Thejimbola, Saw Pearl Jam at Leeds and while me and and a complete stranger were going mental together to them (plenty of healthy,manly heterosexual hugs between songs), most of the crowd looked like they'd never heard of them before. They were unbelievable though

Some responses in this thread beg the question:

Have you ever seen a band more than once and thought they had improved live a few years later?

I'm struggling to think of when I have. Maybe it's because the first time is always special, and then it's less special every time you see them...

Have you ever seen a band more than once and thought they had improved live a few years later?

I'm struggling to think of when I have. Maybe it's because the first time is always special, and then it's less special every time you see them...

Edited by jump

It's good to see the positive reaction to Arcade Fire (at the time of me writing this they're slightly ahead of RATM), especially considering the amount of people who were questioning the booking in the run up to last years festival. Rage were awesome as well. Looking back at some of the headliners, I'm kicking myself for not going to Reading before 2008.