Toilet talk..

Guest dfs

Hiya.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Are you allowed to pitch one of those tall tents that can house a camping loo next to your tent?

I've never been to Glasto before. I wouldn't want to upset any neighbours and obviously plan to empty it regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya dfs,

I think you can pitch what you like within reason - so long as you are considerate to your neighbours... although if you pitch something that obviously looks like a toilet tent you might get others using it.

As you've not been before I would just say this - ignore the old horror stories about toilets at Glastonbury - they're much improved in recent years, are plentiful and most are pretty clean. The portaloos just off the Pyramid are usually very clean. The worst you have to put up with is the smell, but then you have to put up with that when walking past them anyway and it's only briefly!

In short, I wouldn't bother with a toilet tent - just use the loos there. They're fine. And means you have less to carry on the looong (2 miles?) walk in.

Hope you enjoy your 'first time'!

Pooog

Hiya.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Are you allowed to pitch one of those tall tents that can house a camping loo next to your tent?

I've never been to Glasto before. I wouldn't want to upset any neighbours and obviously plan to empty it regularly.

Thanks in advance.

ugh. revolting. Empty it where? Into the long drops which you don't want to use?! Carrying a bucket of piss over the obstacle course of tents? I think not.

There is nothing wrong with the toilets at Glastonbury. Each year they get better and better - and even in the heat of last year, they were surprisingly un whiffy. The poo trucks were doing a brilliant job.

For those annoying middle of the night, I can't be arsed to walk to the loo's. invest in some travel johns.

http://www.traveljohn.co.uk/

Enjoy.

Emptying is enough of a pain in the camper van field. Which is set up for that sort of thing with proper Elsan Points. You will not win friends if you spill chemical waste on them or their tents. Besides all that, do you really want to be spending part of every day emptying your toilet.

If you don't like the long-drops or the porta-loo's have a trek up to the mythical flushing loo's by the farm. Or use the composting loo's. There are lots of options to do your doo :-)

Seriously wouldn't bother with this.

Far too much hassle and you have enough necessary stuff to carry!

The toilets are generally ok. Yes, the long-drops will stink quite a bit with the heat, but the Portaloos are useable and people tend to give them a wipe down and keep them clean as they use them.

It's a really stupid Myth.. Really stupid myth.

The toilets are only as bad as you want to believe.. if you go in thinking 'OMGZ I'm gonna die of the smell', then you probably will do. If you go in thinking, 'in and out quick as possible, it'll be a little smellier than what i'd have at home, but who cares' then you'll find it to be no trouble at all. Saying that, the stories on here i've read over the years, of people sitting off reading their newspaper are just classic :lol:

The toilets can get into a bit of a state but it's all part of the fun and I personally would feel far more self conscious in a tent in the middle of a field than joining with everyone else. For what it's worth my method is as follows (please bear in mind I'm a girl and we sit more than men).

I take tissue with me to wipe anything offensive off the seat, then I used some of that antibacterial handstuff on some tissue wipe the seat down and make me feel a bit better about sitting on the seat. I suppose you could take some antibac wipes for that. I find the long drops particularly tricky because a lot of the seats are made of wood and not easy to clean down. Also the seats are attached directly onto a flat surface, which tends to attract quite a build up....you'll see.

Of course there's always the toilet paper around the seat method and hovering if you're up to it.

Anyway, once you've got a strategy you'll be fine. And the nice thing is you leave it a lot cleaner for the next person.

Totally agree that the toilets are not at all bad! Although i do try to avoid the turdi as a backed up turdis is the thing of nightmares! :blink:

I would recommend taking a small torch with you during night time rambles so you can check out and sort the loo seat before sitting....also a cross the body bag with an easily accessible pocket is a godsend to keep a little packet of tissues and hand cleanser within easy reach to make the toilet trip a little easier....and alot less likely to drop something on the floor or dare i say it, down the toilet.

Also last year the toilets were so much cleaner than previous years, although did feel really bad for the people working there who had to stay in the little sheds which must have been so hot, but they did a fab job keeping the loos lovely and clean! :D

Edited by Lilmiz

The first year I went to Glastonbury I was dreading the idea of having to drop the kids off at the pool after seeing the state that the turdis's at Leeds. I decided that the best course of action was no number ones from Thursday to Monday so filled myself up with immodium before I went and took loads more pills every day just to make sure no poop wanted to come out and say hello. It was the biggest mistake of my life. In the end i couldn't poop for a week and a half and the pain became unbareable in the last few days. No I actually quite look forward to a morning dump whilst reading the q daily, open sky above you and a breeze around my shins.

Nothing wrong with the toilets, christ I remember going to Leeds festival in 2000 and they were horrific. By the 3rd day you often couldn't see the toilet seat for shit. Absolutely disgusting and made me glad I was a bloke. Used to go for number 2's in the Sainsburys. Nowadays festivals have upped their game, they're attracting a much higher class of person so the toilets reflect that!

Yeah, the myth of terrible toilets. They are really not as bad as people seem to think and seriously not a patch on how they used to be (and still are at other festivals, Reading is a particular example of really bad bogs).

My experience is always that, yeah, it smells a little ripe the first time you use them, but after that I just forget all about it and am used to it.

I personally recommend long drops over all else, due to the fresh air blowing through. I even have my favourite toilets (avalon crossroads) where the sides are lower than others and you get even better fresh air.

Right dont wear long trousers.

Ladies wear shorts or a skirt.

Gents wear shorts or 3/4 length shorts.

That way no matter what your gender you ain't going get no surprises when you pull your pants up.

Carry some tissues and anti bacterial gel in your bag,pocket,pack whatever.Although there always seems to be a good supply.

Just think if its good enough for 150000 people its good enough for me.

If going to the loo is such a big issue dont drink to much beer.(Although keep your water levels up).

Going to the toilet for 1x3 minute dump and 8x1 minute wees a day= 11 minutes per day each day has 1440 minutes so your left with 1429 minutes of fun

to enjoy yourself.