Rewards for weight loss

Guest Katster

i do like slimming world its easy to follow but I don't like the way it gets promoted/talked about/managed - "you can eat as much as you want" - if anyone who is doing it in that way comes off the diet they will struggle with portion sizes when they try and eat something that isn't free.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends what food you eat less of...

eating less vegetables won't help much and will be bad for you (unless you're eating a ridiculous amount in the first place)

alcohol is killer (calorie wise)... so if you're eating less and drinking just as much, or more, then that's also a waste of effort

and if you're not burning off calories by doing something physical, it won't do your health much good

if this is true then it's not even worth me starting my planned diet tomorrow :/

i'll probably be drinking the same, but eating healthier and exercising more.

being a poor student (and vegetarian) dieting is hard.

vegetables and fruit are so much more expensieve than readymeals, pizza, chips and crisps! and i'm so busy all the time that kind of food is so much less time consuming!

i discovered that i have put on nearly half a stone in 2011. however this was weighed before xmas and pretty sure i've put on more weight.

so the following is my new plan:

- generally eat healthier

- no crisps

- chocolate/sweets only allowed 1 small bar/packet a week

- chips max 3 times a week (including during nights out)

- no desserts, bar low fat yoghurt

- cut down massively on cheese

- predrinking is only allowed on vodka (lower calories) NO WINE!!

gym 3 times a week:

- one 1 hour long gym sesh

- one 30 min non-stop lane swimming

- one fitness class - zumba/body attack/LBT's

- also yoga class in addition to this whenever i have spare time

no getting the bus to uni.

i've tried to be realistic in my goals so that they actually last and i know i won't be successful if i try to change my lifestyle too much!

has anyone got any tips or advice from what i've said?

anyone got any nice (cheap) breakfast ideas?

also, is bread and pasta really that fattening? i currently have toast for brekkie and lunch to save money and pasta a few times a week :/

Edited by jump

Just to throw in my experience with Slimming World since so many people are talking about them.

I lost 3 stone doing their diet. It works really well in my opinion, but i suppose all it really did was open my eyes to food that's tasty and not bad for me. That's what people need, inspiration to try things they might see as tasteless or expensive.

The fact is to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Eat less than you burn away. For anyone trying to lose weight I'd suggest finding out what you BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and then count calories. As long as you burn more than you eat you'll definitely lose weight, even without exercising. You've just got to try and change your eating habits permanently so you don't put it all back on immediately, that's what i found the hardest, but I also found I didn't crave bad food after I'd spent a few weeks not eating it.

Just to throw in my experience with Slimming World since so many people are talking about them.

I lost 3 stone doing their diet. It works really well in my opinion, but i suppose all it really did was open my eyes to food that's tasty and not bad for me. That's what people need, inspiration to try things they might see as tasteless or expensive.

The fact is to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Eat less than you burn away. For anyone trying to lose weight I'd suggest finding out what you BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and then count calories. As long as you burn more than you eat you'll definitely lose weight, even without exercising. You've just got to try and change your eating habits permanently so you don't put it all back on immediately, that's what i found the hardest, but I also found I didn't crave bad food after I'd spent a few weeks not eating it.

Edited by feral chile

Slimming world chips taste good and they're not bad for ya either!

Chop potatos into chips, par boil for about 7 mins, spray a bakin tray with fry light, drain and shake chips about, transfer to baking tray, spray with fry light (1 calorie spray thing) bake in oven for 20odd mins (I don't really know how long, I just bung them in and when they're cooked take them out).

I used to have 2 sugars in my tea. Gradually cut down to either none or 1 and now 1 sugar tastes really sweet.

I used to have 2 in coffee and now I have 1.

Dont really like artificial sweeteners in my tea/coffee, makes me have a funny aftertaste.

I wish my hips wernt so big in proportion to my waist. IfI got any fatter I'd look like I'd have a double bum from the back!

Just thought about cheap rewards. What about getting stickers for each pound lost?

You could get some nice coloured card and decorate the top with their name and pounds lost and for every pound lost you could stick a sticker on it. And say when they get to 4/7/10/14/ stickers and so on, they could redeem them for a prize (maybe make a list of prizes and what each amount of stickers is needed for each prize.)

This sounds weird but I like the feeling of being hungry when dieting- i think it kinda makes me think I'm losing weight. Don't really miss chocolate/ fatty stuff at the moment - am making fruit salad as a replacement and its working well so far. I couldnt be bothered with these diets - too much work counting points and suchlike. Eat less food, and you'll lose weight, simples.

I'm the same. My 'diet' is simple, I can eat anything I like, as long as it's 10% fat, there's no margins for error, I'm either allowed something or I aint, I find it very simple to stick to. The hardest part is doing the exercise but I'm getting there :)

They won't even allow me to tell anyone else their weight, there's no way they'd be happy about a chart on the wall!!! Although I guess I could put that in the folder I have for them, nice idea, I might do it tonight and get some stickers. Hmmmmm. Would stickers of cake be suitable?!

Decisions decisions!

I have been put in charge of a "fit/fat club" at work for people who are trying to lose weight. Next week we've got our first 'weigh in' and I wondered if anyone here might have any advice on what prizes I can give to people who have lost weight? It can't be anything very expensive (especially if most people lose!!) and obviously something like a cream cake is not ideal :lol:

Any ideas?

Anyone else trying to shed some pounds this year??

I want to lose 2 stone and have already lost 4lb in 10 days :D

i never spend more than £1.50 on a ready meal! and that's only if it's a really nice one usually in the reduced section. sainsburys basics ready meals are less than a pound and pretty nice!

i end up eating chips cos its one pound for a hugee bag which lasts for weeks and it fills you up. then i make my own usually once a week with potato sprayed with oil in the oven. i do have it with healthy quorn pies and bean burgers and things.

it is definately more expensieve to eat healthier. for example today i had a potato bake thing i made which was 50p sachet(on sale haha), 25p for half pint of milk, 60p on potatoes, bout 50p for a small tin of sweetcorn, 39p for carrots. and it didn't even fill me up!

whereas normally it works out bout 15p for a portion of chips and max 50p for something to go with it like a pie!

spent 22 quid on a healthy weekly shop which would normally cost me max 15 quid. and thats not even gonna last me the week cos im gonna have to buy more veg :(