All Women's Fault.....

Guest Kizzie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Has feminism destroyed the art of home cooking? Columnist Rose Prince and journalist Rosie Boycott discuss the effect of feminism on the modern kitchen".

This was the title of the debate...Rosie Boycott was one of the founders of 'Spare Rib'....she's mellowed a bit since the old days.

Maybe it's because we are now in the age of post-post Feminism....whatever that is :blink:

Maybe Worm will have a theory.... :P

To address one ofg the comments on here about teenage mums making their kids fat because they don't care about the child in the pram:

I was a teenage mum and i always made sure my son ate fairly healthily, although i have to admit to giving him turkey twizzlers occasionally, i had no idea how awful they were. He's now 17 and has never been fat or unhealthy. Also most of the other mums that were my age or a bit older that i knew, had healthy children, There were a couple i knew that didnt care or were on drugs and their kids weren't fat either, mainly because they were starving. Don't stick us all in the irresponsible couldn't give a shit catergory because most of us make a good job of a bad idea.

Also my niece is 6 years old and is enormous and it is her mum's fault. her mum was in her late 30s when she was born and completely obsessed over whether she was eating enough, so gave her so much milk she was fat from baby onwards. Now of course although they do cook healthy meals she is allowed sweets and puddings, ice cream etc all the time even when she hasnt eaten a proper dinner because my sis in law is so worried she might waste away. Unlikely as she is an average height for a 6 year old but has to wear age 10 - 11 clothes.

I think a part of it is to do with the child-centric world we live in now where we are so worried about damaging our children we basically make sure they have everything they want available to them, and we molly coddle them a bit.

I love my son and i have always tried to get him whatever he wanted, to a point, but now i've said i will only pay for his driving lessons and insurance if he gets a job and contributes. They have to do things for themselves, otherwise all we are teaching them is that they can have anything they want without any effort, which also pertains to food when they can't cook and so live on take-away, when they leave home.

also i agree with Tony who said there are lots of reasons people are fat and its not fair to just blame parents, or people for being lazy or whatever.

I'd like to see a survey about obese children and corrolation to socio-economics/class

Edited by RABun

I think Greggs [the bakers] is moreso a Northern thing (in response to someone's comment 'What is Greggs') but is rapidly expanding elsewhere.

I may be totally wrong but there are so so so many Pasty Babies in where I live (and the surrounding area), that it's undoubtably having an affect on children's weight!

How often do you see a fat baby? All too often in the town where I work. On a typical lunchtime walk through the Ghostly High Street (which is a total separate topic) you will see at least 6 or 7 young females (typically ranging from about 14 to 22) all with prams, smoking superdingers outside BHF whilst their defenceless (and often mucky looking) children slowly gouge into yet another Cheese f**king pasty with mess all over them.

It's an all too familiar sight though and it's damn wrong. It's not like a 'treat' for the kids, its part of their basic diets from what I see.

To address one ofg the comments on here about teenage mums making their kids fat because they don't care about the child in the pram:

I was a teenage mum and i always made sure my son ate fairly healthily, although i have to admit to giving him turkey twizzlers occasionally, i had no idea how awful they were. He's now 17 and has never been fat or unhealthy. Also most of the other mums that were my age or a bit older that i knew, had healthy children, There were a couple i knew that didnt care or were on drugs and their kids weren't fat either, mainly because they were starving. Don't stick us all in the irresponsible couldn't give a shit catergory because most of us make a good job of a bad idea.

Also my niece is 6 years old and is enormous and it is her mum's fault. her mum was in her late 30s when she was born and completely obsessed over whether she was eating enough, so gave her so much milk she was fat from baby onwards. Now of course although they do cook healthy meals she is allowed sweets and puddings, ice cream etc all the time even when she hasnt eaten a proper dinner because my sis in law is so worried she might waste away. Unlikely as she is an average height for a 6 year old but has to wear age 10 - 11 clothes.

I think a part of it is to do with the child-centric world we live in now where we are so worried about damaging our children we basically make sure they have everything they want available to them, and we molly coddle them a bit.

I love my son and i have always tried to get him whatever he wanted, to a point, but now i've said i will only pay for his driving lessons and insurance if he gets a job and contributes. They have to do things for themselves, otherwise all we are teaching them is that they can have anything they want without any effort, which also pertains to food when they can't cook and so live on take-away, when they leave home.

Edited by jump

Excuse me Mam, I was just wondering if you would mind me taking a picture of your child sticking a sausage roll in his mouth and getting mess all over his face?

as you say, that was all there was. I don't remember terrorism being much of a threat. Or Global Warming. Or AIDS. Or paedophiles (even though it was obviously happening, we weren't spoon fed the diet of fear that we are now...)

you really think it's on the same level?

as you say, that was all there was. I don't remember terrorism being much of a threat. Or Global Warming. Or AIDS. Or paedophiles (even though it was obviously happening, we weren't spoon fed the diet of fear that we are now...)

you really think it's on the same level?

Oh we all knew where the paedophiles hung out. But it wasn't discussed with adults, because you couldn't let adults know you weren't as innocent (ignorant) as they thought. You'd be afraid of getting told off for even being aware of the danger.

it was proper head in the sand stuff.

My mum said that she had a party once and all the mods hung at the front of the house and all the (who was the folk against the mods? the rockers?) were at the back and in their fashion groups ready to brawl. Made me think of some cheesy movei fight scene storyline.

You guys generation was so cheesy!

but the whole mods and rockers thing (I was living in Brighton at the time, and we just knew not to go to the beach on bank holidays!) was so obviously nothing to be scared of. Much like hippies and punks... anyone knew they weren't a real danger

The IRA?... mmmm .. it was a bit scary, but for the most part, it was happening somewhere else. It certainly wasn't the same as seeing planes flying into skyscrapers, or live hangings of ex-leaders..

I know what you mean, and in part I agree with you, but.... I don't know, trying to see things through my kids eyes, it seems harder.

And I do think the whole obesity thing is a bit of a moral panic. Which is why I baulked so strongly at the idea that any one thing is the reason for it

Yeah it was greasers and skinheads in my day. I got into a fight in school once with a female skinhead who was writing things like (Town name) Skins Rule over the blackboard. So I went up and wrote (Town name) Skins are like banana skins - yellow and bent.

It didn't go down well.

She got over it though - a few years later, she tried to pull me in a nightclub. (I had no idea she was gay, and I wasn't homophobic then - it was just a stupid insult that went well with banana and was aimed at insulting their aggressive machismo)

yeah I didn't phrase that too well did I? :lol:

I meant I'm not proud now of what I can now recognise was a homophobic insult that was unknowingly directed at a gay person.

Yes very wrong :lol:

But just going on what you see in one town outside one shop is hardly a balanced view of the whole of society is it?

and if they are the only ones in your town that do that then you say you see say 10 people and children, thats a tiny number of the population of your town and probably a fialy small percentage of the young mums in your town.

Just trying to give some perspective.