Tent Nightmare!

Guest Artygirl

Hey

This year is going to be my first Glastonbury and i'm mega excited!!

BUT I'm finding it really really hard to choose a tent! I've heard Quechua are good but what about Vango? Are tipee tents any good? and should i be getting a 2 skin tent? I also want something thats easy to put up and is roomy as I'm going for the 5 days :P

Also where is the best place to pitch up?

Any suggestions????

Hey

BUT I'm finding it really really hard to choose a tent! I've heard Quechua are good but what about Vango? Are tipee tents any good? and should i be getting a 2 skin tent? I also want something thats easy to put up and is roomy as I'm going for the 5 days :P

Any suggestions????

Depends whether you'll use it more than once or twice, if you will then worth paying a bit more. The pop-up tents are a bit marmite, I personally hate them after making a fool of myself in a tent shop trying to collapse one (also 'cos they're big and round and difficult to carry). Mine's a Vango, solid quality, packs up small, but as rischbrit says, a bit pricier than other makes.

Vango have a new range of pop-ups that look quite good...2 skin and a porch!

Vango Dart

...or their non-popup basic tent is very good for £40...will last for a good while.

Vango Alpha

Neither are top end tents (well, they cost £40-50 so it's not going to be expedition quality!), and as far as I know they aren't made in the same factory as the more expensive Vangos, but I know someone with the Alpha and he's never had a problem with it (he runs an outdoor pursuit centre and has a bunch of different tents, and for a cheap tent he was quite impressed with it)...the inner clips onto the fly rather than having poles through the inner that the fly is pitched over, so there's a bit of a gap that helps keep the condensation down...

Vango have a new range of pop-ups that look quite good...2 skin and a porch!

Vango Dart

...or their non-popup basic tent is very good for £40...will last for a good while.

Vango Alpha

Neither are top end tents (well, they cost £40-50 so it's not going to be expedition quality!), and as far as I know they aren't made in the same factory as the more expensive Vangos, but I know someone with the Alpha and he's never had a problem with it (he runs an outdoor pursuit centre and has a bunch of different tents, and for a cheap tent he was quite impressed with it)...the inner clips onto the fly rather than having poles through the inner that the fly is pitched over, so there's a bit of a gap that helps keep the condensation down...

I used an Alpha for my first Festival. It was great and survived some pretty heavy rain. Only issue I found was it pitched inner first (may have changed now) and you need to peg it out pretty well or the inner and outer touch and you get drips of condensation.

I would alwasy go for an outer pitch first. If it's inner pitch then your tent is going to get soaked whilst trying to pitch it. I used a Gelert Tornad for years, it served me well and I still use it now. But for glasto I use my Outwell Nevada, much bigger and it's brilliant being able to stand up! I have two quechua pop up tents and I have to say they are amazing little tents. Easy to put away, your just have to practice before going, loads of vids on you tube and indeed on the Decathlon website.

Ye Faithful! Gelert Tornado 4

My Glasto tent! Outwell Nevada (if you do a bit of shopping round you can get it cheaper).

I'm not the only one to go by the +1 rule. A two man tent for one person, a three man tent for two people, etc.

You can go bigger and get loads of space, but then you've more weight to carry onto the site.

You can go smaller and have less weight to carry, but then the tent will be really claustrophobic.

Of course, the very best thing is to buy from somewhere where you can see the tent pitched.

i had vango alpha last year, i didnt tie down the guy ropes, just pegged it down really well & it was fine through the thunder storms of thursday & the heavy rain friday morning

found a good priced one on ebay

clicky

Edited by mkgirl1981

Hey

Any suggestions????

I would go cheapish, light, but above all waterproof!

You need something that has a seperate outer/inner tent (as others have stated) A hydrostatic head rating of 1500 or above (if it doesn't state it or you can't find out its usually too cheap!)

I would prefer to buy from a dedicated camping accessory place rather than a general discount shop (the sales people probably won't be able to help you decide, and the tents will be poorer)

Make sure you buy a 2 berth for one person, 3-4 berth for 2 persons, 4-5 berth for 3 etc as you will need

space for your kit, and the 2 berths will just about squeeze one in and a sack (particularly the pop ups).