Pukkelpop 2010

Guest Semprini

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 weeks waiting for this announcements? Snow Patrol Headlining? See what I found in the official forum:

migue wrote:

There were several rumors during the last days that the only reason for not announcing any band in the last 5 weeks is because the have sold less tickets than last year but have spent much more money in bands and they are so worried about it and they really don't know which way take... if book a really big band for Friday looking for increasing the ticket-sale rythm or if fill the line-up gaps with minor bands, and reduce initial bugdet for bands... tomorrow we'll see wich way have they taken

Definitely they took the second option...

This is the worst PKP in the last 5 years... (the better stuff are the electronic shows, but the headliners are dissapointing and the rock/punk/metal acts are terrible...)

Frequency festival... here we goooooooo!!!

I'm now trying convince folk I'm going to Leeds with as well as a few others to go to Pukkelpop instead as it looks dynamite, plus cheaper than Leeds. Think its a good idea? I go mostly for the dance acts and PKP seems to have the edge imo, although having never been to either I'm not sure what'll be better in terms if atmosphere etc. Any opinions?

My guess is another announcement - the festival seems to put on 200 acts each year and we've had 3 announcements of 50 a piece. I'm guessing there's still a headliner to come for Saturday night as well...?

One thing I love about this festival is how they don't announce one stage at a time like Reading & Leeds - it means anything can happen. Acts that are big in the UK at the moment - e.g. the invasion of the British females - almost slip under the radar and there seems to be no order to the size of the act. Of course that could just be the difference between what's big in Britain and over on the continent!

With regard to the quality of the line up, it's honestly one of the strongest I've seen in terms of what I personally like and the variety. I can't wait to see The National, The xx, Yeasayer, Beach House, Caribou - and that's just a few that instantly spring to mind, plus there's loads of stuff like Iron Maiden, Pendulum and Snow Patrol to keep my mates happy as well :P

Edited by Tristan

Tristan's right, we should have about another 40 or so to come before the line up is complete. I don't know a lot about the type of bands that usually play in the Shelter (punk/metal/rock) but people are saying there aren't that many that have been announced so far that fit the bill for that stage. This will probably mean that a good few of the bands tba may well play in the Shelter but I suspect there will still be a few reasonably big names, such as We are Scientists and possibly LCD Soundsystem, for the other stages.

I've had a chance to briefly go through most of the new names I haven't heard much of and there's a few gems amongst them. I mentioned Toro y Moi, who get better with every listen, but I'm also loving Washed Out, Band of Skulls, French Horn Rebellion, Chapel Club, Jaga Jazzist and the Aggrolites. It's almost got to the point where I don't want to listen to many more because I'm never going to fit everything in :P

I'm now trying convince folk I'm going to Leeds with as well as a few others to go to Pukkelpop instead as it looks dynamite, plus cheaper than Leeds. Think its a good idea? I go mostly for the dance acts and PKP seems to have the edge imo, although having never been to either I'm not sure what'll be better in terms if atmosphere etc. Any opinions?

Although I haven't been to Reading/Leeds, I can say with 100% confidence that if you're into dance music then it's a complete no brainer - Pukkelpop wins hands down. R/L has one dance tent for one of the three days whereas Pukkelpop has two tents for all three days as well as the Chateau which has some dance based acts usually on all three days. You'll also find some stuff dotted around many of the other stages and a few of the bands/DJs playing the R/L dance tent are at Pukkelpop anyway (Magnetic Man, Four Tet, Holy f**k).

As for the respective atmospheres, again I can't comment on R/L but there's always a friendly and up for it crowd at Pukkelpop. You'll find the best atmospheres in the Boiler Room and Dance Hall which is where most of the DJ's and live dance acts play. These two tents alone are worth going to the festival for. If you still need convincing then just go on youtube and look at some of the videos from last year, particularly the ones from the Boiler.

No problem, glad I could help :P I also meant to say that aside from the dance stuff, there's usually anything up to 40 bands every year on the R/L line up that also play at Pukkelpop. I've just had a quick count and there's already over 30 bands doing both festivals this year so that could be a good point to make to your friends when trying to persuade them to come.

Three new bands have been announced today and they'll all be playing in the Shelter. Garcia Plays Kyuss will be on Thursday, Gallows on Friday and Bad Religion on Saturday. The write up is only on the Dutch section of the website at the moment so I don't know if they're the headliners or not but tbh they don't normally announce headliners for any of the stages except the Main until the timetable comes out.

Hey, definatly set about going to Pukkelpop this year looks brilliant

I posted earlier but just have a few more questions if anyones willing to answer

The general problem I face is the problem of cash in terms of each festival, generally il blow around £150 at a three day festival on recreational drug usage :) and then generally another £50 to last me on food for the three days.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the living cost of such european festivals such as Pukkelpop, as i've never been to a European festival.

How much does food work out to at the festival.

How much does food and alcohol cost around Belgium to take to the festival

How much do various drugs, cost generally at Pukkelpop? (I've been informed on the probabilities and difficulties of aquiring drugs at this festival, just wondered if you do how much they generally cost if you manage it)

Any knowledge or ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers xx

Hey, definatly set about going to Pukkelpop this year looks brilliant

I posted earlier but just have a few more questions if anyones willing to answer

The general problem I face is the problem of cash in terms of each festival, generally il blow around £150 at a three day festival on recreational drug usage :) and then generally another £50 to last me on food for the three days.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the living cost of such european festivals such as Pukkelpop, as i've never been to a European festival.

How much does food work out to at the festival.

How much does food and alcohol cost around Belgium to take to the festival

How much do various drugs, cost generally at Pukkelpop? (I've been informed on the probabilities and difficulties of aquiring drugs at this festival, just wondered if you do how much they generally cost if you manage it)

Any knowledge or ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers xx

VERY pleased with the stage split-up, means there won't be nearly as many tough decisions as I thought :D

With regards to predicting the times, you can kind of guess... the headliners will be on later in the day, so the smaller the font of the band name the earlier they will be on. As for a map of the festival site... if you can find one online for a previous year, it'll probably pretty much be the same.