Just how do they pick the line up?

Guest Nixy

Been having a wee think about this, as you do, and I got to wondering does anyone know just how they - the Eavises (sp?) - choose the line up?

I mean Glasto is pretty diverse so how do they know who should appear on the Jazz Stage? Or any of the dance stages/tents? Or the Acoustic Stage? Or any of the the other many stages that aren't Pyramid or T'Other Stage?

How many artists appear? I think I read somewhere that it was a stupidly high number.... how do you know who's hip, happening or just plain good enough to grace the Glasto line up? I have visions of them listening to music all year trying to be a bit finger on the pulse about it all. Do they have advisors or input from other parties?

Sorry, I'm musing aloud, if I had a beard I would be stroking it now

my cousin's old dentist used to do the fellow-who-does-the-bookings' teeth and said that during one visit he told him it was a simple 4 step process...

1) they read EFest posts and tally up requests as to whom should be playing

2) they ignore all the 'Daft Punk must headline' petitions on EFests, (or anything to do with Faith No More)

3) they chuckle at all the Coldplay-are-shite/would-rather-eat-glass-than-see-coldplay comments and book them at least 3 times in a decade as headliners just for a laugh at EFest readers.

4) finally, when they come back from a 10 month holiday, they read Neil's rumours list and go "oh ... so that's who we're supposed to have booked already ... well that's it then, book those bands (except for Squeeze) and we're sorted!!!"

my cousin's old dentist used to do the fellow-who-does-the-bookings' teeth and said that during one visit he told him it was a simple 4 step process...

1) they read EFest posts and tally up requests as to whom should be playing

2) they ignore all the 'Daft Punk must headline' petitions on EFests, (or anything to do with Faith No More)

3) they chuckle at all the Coldplay-are-shite/would-rather-eat-glass-than-see-coldplay comments and book them at least 3 times in a decade as headliners just for a laugh at EFest readers.

4) finally, when they come back from a 10 month holiday, they read Neil's rumours list and go "oh ... so that's who we're supposed to have booked already ... well that's it then, book those bands (except for Squeeze) and we're sorted!!!"

They use a really advanced computer program wherein they input a complicated equation which produces them with their first 20 acts and they go forward from there. They formula consists of 40% predictability, 20% of hyped up acts, 20% up and coming bands, 5% surprises and another 5% of pure controversy (this dose is quite strong and often produces some very surprising results).

You compare this formula to about the top 20 acts at the festival each year and you will find I am correct.*

*formula proves accuracy in 23% of cases, based upon the 1984 and 1993 festival only.

They use a really advanced computer program wherein they input a complicated equation which produces them with their first 20 acts and they go forward from there. They formula consists of 40% predictability, 20% of hyped up acts, 20% up and coming bands, 5% surprises and another 5% of pure controversy (this dose is quite strong and often produces some very surprising results).

You compare this formula to about the top 20 acts at the festival each year and you will find I am correct.*

*formula proves accuracy in 23% of cases, based upon the 1984 and 1993 festival only.

I heard they put ALL the band's names into a massive hat and then Michael & Emily each takes turns to pick 1 out & this is all done on a local harvest day apparently, they then divide the band's names into a load of piles that is suited to each stage.

Then some bloke checks each pile and marks each band out of 10 according to hipness, and the ones with a 5 or lower rating gets marked off the list.

Then all the leftover names gets put back into a smaller hat (incase the stages have an odd number of bands on them) and the winner of a local competition, gets a pair of Glastonbury tickets and also has the privilege of picking the names that are needed to fill up the stages .. from the hat.

They also have 12 bands in a maybe catagory & 3 spare slots (what gets filled up 2 tuesdays before the festival).

I know this because my friends m8 cuts Michael Eavis's grass. :blink:

Each stage takes care of it's own line up

I think that the pyramid and possibly the other are done by the Eavii (sp) with the help of mean fiddler (though I'm not sure about that) to keep it hip

That's not quite correct.

Most stages are booked by their own dedicated booker. However, some do use the same booker.

Mean Fiddler (now actually called Festival Republic) have no role in the bookings. They only have involvement in site management.

It works like this

They put all the bands in the world into a pot. A machine picks a band and pots them into another pot. all The people on Efests names are put into a pot and 8 are selected and put in other pots. Each of those persons postings are read and if they are selected from the pot their views are ignored. All the people not selected are put in pots and sellected randomly. From here Richard and Judy select a machine to pull the names from the pots. Still with me. The names pulled from the pots are put in a machine that machine pulls out a ball and disgards it and the remaining balls are split between eight pots. All the bands in the world are put into pots and then balls are selected.

In the meantime a list is compiled from all the signed acts who have applied as per the website.

All the balls are disgraded and Michael and emily play poker to see who selects the acts for which stage.

Colplay headline as they are selected from the pot and the one efester who was selected form the pot to the other pot to the other pot to the other pot did not say they hated them only having mild displeasure of them and they are cheap!

Ah, I see, like that 'wear will the cow shit in the field next' game, where you get a big grid, put a cow in it and then bet on which grid number it dumps in. They just put names in the grid instead of numbers and which ever band get's dumped on is in.

You could turn it into a big farmyard game, get loads of animals all in there together... the cow could be the Pyramid Stage, a goat is Jazz World, you'd need a wombat or something suitably docile for the Acoustic Stage... any others?