Weather thread 2010

Guest remote

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if this weather forecast malarkey doesn't start looking germanic, i may be forced to sacrifice my mate's bf. he always brings badness from the sky. he's a lovely bloke but i groaned when i heard he was coming this year. his only glastos are 04,05 and 07. 'nuff said. so if all this r*** bobbins comes off, he's getting tossed on a ceremonial bonfire at the stone circle to see if that appeases the gods. i'd sacrifice him sooner but he's one of our drivers! ;)

edit: i wonder if he maybe has french ancestry?

UK Outlook for Wednesday 23 Jun 2010 to Friday 2 Jul 2010:

Most areas of the UK should see plenty of fine and dry weather at the start of the period, with extended sunny periods and just a low chance of occasional showers developing inland. Northwestern areas may well be cloudier with occasional rain, although there should be periods of drier and brighter weather here too. Winds will be fresh at times in the north and west, but should stay generally light or moderate elsewhere.For the weekend and beyond, the more unsettled weather is likely to spread to most areas, giving a mixture of showers, occasionally heavy, and sunny spells across the UK. Temperatures are expected to be warm at first, locally very warm in the southeast, but are likely to return to near normal towards the beginning of July.

Updated: 1212 on Fri 18 Jun 2010

Jackone is currently updating the Glastonbury thread over on Netweather, so it'll be after the game tonight before we hear what he has to say. Not that I'm looking forward to it, personally. <_<

Langdale: Leaders need to be strong in the face of potential adversity. Pull yourself together man!

Everyone else: How many times has this pendulum swung in the last 2 weeks? 3? 4? There is time. It's always darkest before dawn and what does the dawn bring? f**kING LASHINGS OF SUN - THAT'S f**kING WHAT!!

HOLD THE LINE, HOLD.....THE......LINE!!!!!!!

Germany_Flag.png

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

Langdale: Leaders need to be strong in the face of potential adversity. Pull yourself together man!

Everyone else: How many times has this pendulum swung in the last 2 weeks? 3? 4? There is time. It's always darkest before dawn and what does the dawn bring? f**kING LASHINGS OF SUN - THAT'S f**kING WHAT!!

HOLD THE LINE, HOLD.....THE......LINE!!!!!!!

Germany_Flag.png

As I thought the 12z GFS (horrible) was an outlier:

prmslsomerset.png

We want the pressure to stay as high as possible so most model runs are going for higher pressure than the operational run.

The precipitation was also somewhat of an outlier:

prcpsomerset.png

By the looks of things, Wednesday and Thursday will be largely dry (couple of light showers maybe) and there will be some rain at the weekend, the amount depends on how the weather patterns play out into next week. But the amount of rain was largely exaggerated by the lunchtime run.

The 18z ensembles are not out yet but the run looks better to me.

I'm on site from tomorrow afternoon (Sat 19th), cos as some of you know, I'm Info Crew. Yes, we're going well early to take as good advantage as we can of the early good weather still predicted.

Our Other Stage Info shifts.

If you approach and ask geeky synoptic questions, these may include latest weather updates from me :lol: .

Weds 5 pm to 9 pm (we'll be along to the Bus for efests meet straight after that)

Fri 1 pm to 5 pm

Sun 5 pm to 9 pm

MONDAY : Double 'Q Review' selling shifts, early to late, with a short midday break. Ped Gate A (Bus Statuion area).

We leave here by 9 am tomorrow, so I won't be on line after this.

We can rely on our good buddy paolo999 only for very occasional i-Phone net updates, but no chances of posting for us.

My only thoughts remaining on the w**th*r are that it will, based on the latest updates today, be considerably less bad than 2007, but not nearly as good as 1995.

Most likely inbetween.

As in all 14 previous fests for me bar the very best and the very worst, extremes at either end collectively form the minority.

At least I can comfort myself that I wasn't there in the utterly notorious mudbath of 1985 (any other vets? Any?**) which was the very worst ever by almost all old accounts (near continuous and usually heavy rain right though til Sunday, anyone??).

** apart from festivaldeb, my partner in Info Crew/Glastonbury/life crime here in Swansea (apart from after tomorrow), whose first one 1985 was. She's been to 16 others since then, so even the worst m*d ever didn't put her off ...

That utter shocker was unsurpased by subsequent mudfests, not even, I'm told by real oldies, 1997, 1998 and 2007 -- all 3 of which I endured.

I was there in 1984, my first (very pleasant) and (madly) I didn't return til 1994 (again very pleasant), contriving therefore to miss several heatwave scorchers inbetween during the mad sublegal full on wild party years of 1986-1993

(Real old school types talk about 1989 with sighs of High Pressure dominated sunshine superman pure contentment B) ).

I must admit I was until very recently (yesterday) counting on a repeat of at least 2003, and possibly 1995, and in my maddest and best moments, the one I most regret missing, 1989!

Not so this time. But it will be no worse than 2004 I think. Possibly achieving near 2008 levels of acceptability (one day of a fair bit of m*d, Friday, thereafter pretty reasonable overall).

Langdale and devonhammer especially, you top weather bods, can you please try and find me at the Cider Bus meet on Weds -- it'll be late for me, after 9 pm, so try and be vaguely together yeah?

(or find me at the OS Info stall other times)

Meanwhile, I still possess the No Rain No Mud No Compromise T-shirt (slogan in fetching black capitals on a shockingly bright orange background :D ).

This shirt was very generously donated to me by the young efests lady who made it, and donated it to me at Info in 2008, after multiple thread contributions from me that year.

I seriously hope to be able to wear it this year ....

Where are you, kind present giver?

PS Football is rubbish and festivals are better, as is BEER <_<;););)

Edited by William of Walworth