Glastonbury Spirit

Guest ec31ak

Was watching the Julien Temple film last night and it made me think about how the festival has changed. Obviously the festival will never be as it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's for various reasons, but it did make me think about how it has changed since I first went in 2005. Everyone seemed far more relaxed and willing to embrace the "Glastonbury spirit" compared to this year. Whilst still my favourite festival by far, I don't think it was as good this year as it was in 2005. Thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was watching the Julien Temple film last night and it made me think about how the festival has changed. Obviously the festival will never be as it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's for various reasons, but it did make me think about how it has changed since I first went in 2005. Everyone seemed far more relaxed and willing to embrace the "Glastonbury spirit" compared to this year. Whilst still my favourite festival by far, I don't think it was as good this year as it was in 2005. Thoughts?

It's strange this should come up. at one point during our Glastonbury fun a friend of ours who we consider a true vetran while sitting in the green fields suddenly piped up & told us all that this year was going to be his last.

Once we all stopped fainting we got out of him that he just did'nt feel at home anymore, he just didn't feel like he belonged there anymore. to be honest i just thought he was getting old bless him.

but reading this i just realised what he meant.

i struggled to put my 6man tent up on my own, while some fat bint lay on the ground sunbathing and others nearby not offering a hand. and in 08, me and my girlfriend may as well have been camping in a field on our own the amount that folks blanked you round our tent.

experienced better spirits at other fests!

Ssshhhh...dont tell everyone but the Glastonbury spirit is alive and well just somewhere out East...you have to look hard and wait a while for it to pop its head up over the bonces of the non believers...and then when you are not looking it comes along and bites you on the bum. :P

The bandstand is a good place to find it as well...and the Glade too...the only places I spotted fairies this year.

Just avoid most of Babylon and you will find the just about still beating heart of Glastonbury.

Edited by LusciousLucy

i struggled to put my 6man tent up on my own, while some fat bint lay on the ground sunbathing and others nearby not offering a hand. and in 08, me and my girlfriend may as well have been camping in a field on our own the amount that folks blanked you round our tent.

what is this 'Glastonbury Spirit'? i just buy a ticket, turn up and have a laugh with tens upon tens of thousands of like minded others. actually, thats what i have done the last couple of years. i did most of my Glasto-ing in the 90s when i would just turn up, pay £10 to a scouser in the car park to get in and gatecrash the place, have a laugh with tens upon tens of thousands of like minded others who did just the same. if you think it's busy and/or has a high quota of dickheads these days, it was a lot worse then. or better. depends how you define this 'Glasto Spirit' stuff. it sounds more like some sort of marketing spiel than owt else to me.

if you know of somewhere better though, i'd love to go!

Edited by fatyeti24

Ssshhhh...dont tell everyone but the Glastonbury spirit is alive and well just somewhere out East...you have to look hard and wait a while for it to pop its head up over the bonces of the non believers...and then when you are not looking it comes along and bites you on the bum. :P

The bandstand is a good place to find it as well...and the Glade too...the only places I spotted fairies this year.

Just avoid most of Babylon and you will find the just about still beating heart of Glastonbury.

Okay, so we had super unfriendly on one side (overheard 'oh their a bit near' on weds night, actually 3am thurs!) woke up early and shouted about what a poor time they were having, left all their shit etc, etc. And on the other a lovely guy who said he didn't believe it existed but was ecstatic to have found it and seemed to be having a wonderful time. (actually a bit ashamed I wasn't more forthcoming with sharing coffee and goodies etc as it dawned on me he may have appreciated this only to late unfortunately).

I'm not blameless and obviously should have been more friendly to the unfriendlies but they got my back up from the get go and were lucky to have the space they got.

On the whole though I thought it was a fantastic festival this year.

The only thing i encountered was some c**t who was part of the chair crew (Sat down in the middle of blur) asked me if i could put my arms down while singing along..........I said yeah, kept them up and go to me mates "Wont believe this c**t with the chair, asked if i could put me arms down! I paid 180quid to enjoy this chaps so enjoy it i f**king will" making sure i was loud enough for the prick to hear.

Apart from that everyone around our camping area and everyone we bumped into seemed fine.

what is this 'Glastonbury Spirit'? i just buy a ticket, turn up and have a laugh with tens upon tens of thousands of like minded others. actually, thats what i have done the last couple of years. i did most of my Glasto-ing in the 90s when i would just turn up, pay £10 to a scouser in the car park to get in and gatecrash the place, have a laugh with tens upon tens of thousands of like minded others who did just the same. if you think it's busy and/or has a high quota of dickheads these days, it was a lot worse then. or better. depends how you define this 'Glasto Spirit' stuff. it sounds more like some sort of marketing spiel than owt else to me.

if you know of somewhere better though, i'd love to go!

But i do want to go on record to say i had a brilliant time there.

Just my mate saying that seemed to fit in with the gist of this thread. I'm gutted he's finished with the place, it wont be the same without him

Not marketing spiel at all. Glasto was just different to all other festivals I have been to, and now it is less so. Many of the things that I loved, such as the general friendliness of everyone that you meet, don't seem to be as apparent anymore. That's not to say I dont love the festival and won't be going next year, i was just interested to get other peoples views.

well i have only myself and my experiences of it, but i didn't notice any real differences in atmosphere this year.

last year was the first time i went post Big Fence, and instantly i noticed a difference in the crowd from the 1990s. not better or worse really, just different. that Big Fence may keep a lot of the less desirables out (and keep Mr Eavis' license in place), but it also keeps some of the more, shall we say, 'colourful' characters out. but i didn't notice a big difference from last year to this. i didn't go any other year this decade, so i don't have the experience that you have over that period, but i was just a little amused (in a nice way, honest) by the concept of Glastonbury Spirit. we all know it's effing great there, and in the 15 years since i first attended, i am still unable to put it into words for those who have never been, but it just conjured up images of Glastonbury Spirit being something tangible that can be measured, and if it can be measured, people will be expecting it within the cost of a ticket, guaranteed.

im waffling here, for which i apologise. you are quite right: it is interesting to get other people's views. i'll see you there next year!

I think the Pyramid side of the site was busier this year, and i found myself over there more too.

So it did seem more busy and rushed. It was when I thought about it logically afterwards that i realised why.

I found that everyone I talked to was hapy to talk to me. One woman who seemed quite insular and a bit shocked that i started to chatting to her after Jamie T on Friday night, coincidentally came bouncing up to me during another set on Saturday afternoon at the Pyramid stage to say "Hi! We were talking last night - fancy bumping into you again!!". Looked completely different without her kagoule hood up and was obviously just someone whose mood goes with the weather!

I rarely find someone who won't talk back, but sometimes you just catch people at the wrong moment, it doesn't mean the Glastonbury spirit has gone. I think we can over analyse sometimes.

All capable attendees should be made to munch a big bag of mushrooms and then have a massive smoke before venturing near the site. I reckon the 'festival spirit' would be back with a bleedin' vengeance.

I put up our five man (think it's a five man) tent by myself, so I feel for the bloke with no job/girlfriend - but I did it in the dark, so I win more struggle points.

Edited by Josie's Cat

Dude - the winky smiley was supposed to convey that my post was tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry you didn't seem to have the friendliest people around where you camped, but from your post it seems that you were no different. Did you ask any neighbours for help? Offer them some beers? etc.

Edited by ampersand