Glastonbury Spirit

Guest ec31ak

i didnt think that you needed to ask for the spirit, surely it should find you.

i got there in the end, but that just confirmed to me what i already believed about this so called vibe and spirit.

ive no doubt that the people i camped next to this year on my tod and with my girlfriend last year were nice and aw that, but it all just felt very clique and keep yourself to yourself.

and sorry, replied to that as i just woke up, was a bit snappy :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always maintained you get out of Glastonbury what you are prepared to put into it. Turn up expecting everyone and everything to be at your beck-and-call and you'll be a bit disappointed. Turn up prepared to go with the flow, see what/where those weird avenues might take you, experience something you've never done before, embrace all it has to offer (not just stand in crowds in front of the the big stages) and be open and friendly to others then you'll have a great time.

Yes you'll encounter some idiots (I'm still angry about the 'selfish cow' who pushed in front of me at the bar in the Avalon on Saturday night) and yes some people will simply clam up or ignore you if you speak to them uninvited or simply do not have a sense of humour, people who simply don't like people they don't know or think they are better than them (though god knows why they're going to a festival if that's the case), but these are, IMO, far outweighed by the positives. Those people who go out of their way to embrace the festival, to help their neighbours, to make you laugh/smile etc (except clowns, who like queue jumpers must also die), the people who spend their own money entertaining _you_, neighbours wanting to share what they have with you and vice versa, the people who get the concept of a festival as being a 'celebration', a truly cultural event... IMO that's what it's about.

Ultimately though the Glastonbury Spirit, if it is anything is, I believe, all about the shared experience. I'm not banging on about some quasi-mystical vision after too many mushrooms in the Glade but that shared experience you can only get when 180K+ people share the same intimate space for 3-5 days. As punters we all have similar experiences of having to use the same toilets, sleep in similar tents/sleeping bags, put up with lack of sleep, long walks and aching feet, bad/good food, expensive/cheap beer/drugs, great/good/bad bands etc... it's a social leveller, it doesn't matter if you went to Oxbridge or to Scumbag College for a few days we're all in it together.

If all you want to do is watch your favourite bands and get pissed, fine, you'll have a great time. But find your friendly self, your 'hippy' roots, embrace all it and the people have to offer and you'll surprise yourself. Ultimately the Glastonbury Spirit is within you (oh god... he'll be banging on about fu*king leylines next), take an open mind, be prepared to do things you wouldn't normally do, experience things you'd normally shy away from and if people piss you off... forget about it, they're idiots, only a fool gets wound up by idiots (unless of course they're queue jumpers or clowns in which case as I believe I have previously indicated, they must die).

Well...when it comes to hippy claptrap this was the year when I 'saw' the Glastonbury Spirit! You see my sig...the one about the Whirling Vortices etc...NOT Mudwig! :P Well all weekend I noticed very strange goings on overhead...the gulls flying in those spooky circles but never landing, the way on some nights the lanterns didnt all fly in the same direction and actually went wherever they liked, the Thursday storm that spiralled right round us...and so on...

well...when I got back to RealWorld I googled 'Pilton vortices' and other such combos got all manner of stuff up about the Michael Leyline (the one that runs through Glasto Town, the Tor and the festy site) and it clearly stated in quite a number of various articles that the electromagnet energy above cross points on the leyline can create vortices...especially when there is a conduit...aka...180,000 bodlings all having fun right above the cross point. That is the very very short version...go and look it up yourself if interested.

All weekend I was pointing these obvious spirallings overhead and everyone thought I was just off me nut but was very pleasantly surprised and glad to find out I wasnt barking mad after all on return! Ok, so many of the cynics out there would say I still am but to those who did notice the weird spiral effects overhead...there you go...there was some truth in it.

I went to G this year with strange and possibly unanswerable questions to ask at the festival about the funny energies I can feel more these days within me...didnt need to speak to anyone in the end as the festival started the answer process for me...mad...yeah maybe...but it aint the spiritual and mystical hub for a lot of crazy shit for nothing is it?

And if anyone was up at 5am on the Monday just before the final storm began...we were in Lunched Out Lizards watching the sky and the flags outside. In a split second it felt as if the whole site was picked up and twisted 180' and we (it wasnt just me) witnessed the flags totally start to fly in the opposite direction! It was at this point we all got up and announced...we are going home now...and raced the oncoming wettening home.

And...doesnt it always feel like you are pointing North when you are facing South at the Big G? And going downhill when you are going up? It aint just me...I know it! :wacko:

Ok...weird hippy claptrap over now...:wacko:

Edited by LusciousLucy

It was way more than the gulls...but I am blaming them for a lot of the swirliness...and no mushrooms have ever come near me! :P

Ssshhhh...dont tell everyone but the Glastonbury spirit is alive and well just somewhere out East...you have to look hard and wait a while for it to pop its head up over the bonces of the non believers...and then when you are not looking it comes along and bites you on the bum. :D

The bandstand is a good place to find it as well...and the Glade too...the only places I spotted fairies this year.

Just avoid most of Babylon and you will find the just about still beating heart of Glastonbury.

At one time you did not have to go find the Glastonbury spirit it was all around you but like i have said unfortunately everything has to change but some changes are not for the better :lol::D:D

Ssshhhh...dont tell everyone but the Glastonbury spirit is alive and well just somewhere out East...you have to look hard and wait a while for it to pop its head up over the bonces of the non believers...and then when you are not looking it comes along and bites you on the bum. :lol:

The bandstand is a good place to find it as well...and the Glade too...the only places I spotted fairies this year.

Just avoid most of Babylon and you will find the just about still beating heart of Glastonbury.

Ahh but heading out to look for it is now part of the added fun...there may now be thousands who will never find it cos they wont know where to look and will walk right by it...but still have an ace weekend...but the lucky ones who get to witness what is still there lurking in surprising places...ace!

Have a look at the Glasto Secrets thread...in amongst the mayhem, the spirit can still be seen walking the hallowed ground of Worthy Farm. :lol: The crowd does part on occasion and you will spot a moment of inspiration and amusement.

I think the "spirit" is just the excitement and expectation of being surprised and wanting to surprise others. We were speaking to randoms everywhere, and didn't get any negative vibes from anyone who we spoke to. A lot of it was very casual chat to people camping near, queing, watching acts, and everyone seemed on a happy up for it relaxed level.

A group of lads chanting football songs aggressively in a queue on the last night was about our only negative encounter. We stopped by the side of the path for 2 minutes until they were out of earshot, and then continued on our way.

And if anyone was up at 5am on the Monday just before the final storm began...we were in Lunched Out Lizards watching the sky and the flags outside. In a split second it felt as if the whole site was picked up and twisted 180' and we (it wasnt just me) witnessed the flags totally start to fly in the opposite direction! It was at this point we all got up and announced...we are going home now...and raced the oncoming wettening home.

I think it's about attitude and a willingness to look for the Spirit, an open-ness to recognising it when it shows itself, and being open minded enough to not get embroiled in comparisons with the past. It's also a case of making a little of that spirit yourself and sharing it with others. Perhaps not everyone is receptive to it, but when you do pass a little spirit on, and it is absorbed, then it will pass on to someone else again.

Admittedly it was my first Glastonbury this year, but it felt different from the start. I've been to Leeds festival a number of times and a few smaller ones, and none of them felt the way Glastonbury did. I did have expectations and I wasn't disappointed, I spent a lot of time walking, a lot of time in the Green Fields and the circus and theatre areas. I actually sort of felt like I was wasting exploration time when I was watching bands, hence me only managing to see about 7 of them over the weekend. I had the absolute time of my life! I split my time between being with friends and being alone and it worked really well, not once did I feel the 'lonely in a crowd' feeling that I have felt at other festivals, although it would have been fun to share some of those moments with a familiar face.

I felt very 'at home' in the Green Fields and it was lovely to sit in the Stone Circle, apart from the fact I was sat in the fire smoke so I ended up wandering again :lol: I promised myself that I would try some healing therapies and I did, and they were wonderful. I discovered some wonderful creations around the Craft fields, and indeed, across the site where there were lots of weird and wonderful things. I just opened my mind and let it all flood in, the sights and sounds and smells and the wonder of what we can do with creativity and imagination. I can't wait to see more :D

I'm not done with this festival, and I can't see me tiring of it for a long time yet :D

I think it's about attitude and a willingness to look for the Spirit, an open-ness to recognising it when it shows itself, and being open minded enough to not get embroiled in comparisons with the past. It's also a case of making a little of that spirit yourself and sharing it with others. Perhaps not everyone is receptive to it, but when you do pass a little spirit on, and it is absorbed, then it will pass on to someone else again.

Admittedly it was my first Glastonbury this year, but it felt different from the start. I've been to Leeds festival a number of times and a few smaller ones, and none of them felt the way Glastonbury did. I did have expectations and I wasn't disappointed, I spent a lot of time walking, a lot of time in the Green Fields and the circus and theatre areas. I actually sort of felt like I was wasting exploration time when I was watching bands, hence me only managing to see about 7 of them over the weekend. I had the absolute time of my life! I split my time between being with friends and being alone and it worked really well, not once did I feel the 'lonely in a crowd' feeling that I have felt at other festivals, although it would have been fun to share some of those moments with a familiar face.

I felt very 'at home' in the Green Fields and it was lovely to sit in the Stone Circle, apart from the fact I was sat in the fire smoke so I ended up wandering again :lol: I promised myself that I would try some healing therapies and I did, and they were wonderful. I discovered some wonderful creations around the Craft fields, and indeed, across the site where there were lots of weird and wonderful things. I just opened my mind and let it all flood in, the sights and sounds and smells and the wonder of what we can do with creativity and imagination. I can't wait to see more :D

I'm not done with this festival, and I can't see me tiring of it for a long time yet :D

I only started going to Glasto in '08, but I would say the atmosphere was much better this year than last year and would think that had something to do with the 'Glastonbury Spirit.' The people who camped near us were only too willing to come and have a chat and a laugh with us, and over the weekend I saw countless people coming up to those who were lying in the middle of a field looking worse for wear to make sure they were ok. It also depends on where you spent most of your time I imagine, Trash City and Shangri-La had the usual festival weirdness as well so it's hardly as cold and unsociable as some people have made it out to be.

I don't think it's wise to compare each festival to each other, your experience is obviously going to be different every year, but your criteria for what constitutes the 'Glastonbury Spirirt' will probably also change too.