Boycott 2010 is something isn't done!

Guest kyjenni

Recycling and thousands of pounds worth of perfectly good camping equipment going in to landfill.

Litter Pickers treated like absolute garbage (pardon the pun), rumours circulating of them being fired for no reason just to line someone else's pockets.

People not taking their stuff home with them. Although in some defence it was generally believed that all equipment was recycled and not just dumped in the trash.

Lazy workers not cleaning toilets at Shangri La and Trash City which were appauling (I spoke to many people behind the scenes!).

Greedy money grabbing workers on the Glastonbury Festival staff treating people badly and cutting corners to line their own pockets.

Lack of communicaion between Security, Police, Stewards etc

Security being too heavy handed and starting their own martial law.

The above doesn't apply to everyone and this isn't a difinitive list of the issues, but these are just some areas that are seriously lacking at Glastonbury Festival. My favourite place in the world got seriously tainted this year. If things don't change I won't be attending next year and that would be a huge shame. I have simple ideas to get things improved and if no-one at the Festival Office is prepared to talk then I think that's incredibly narrow minded. People are prepared to volunteer time to help, changes do not have to increase costs. I only got back from the site on Sunday so I have a lot to put together, I hope I can make a difference and I have had messages of support already.

Just seems a little bit of common sense and a lot of respect is lacking here and I'm taking it on as my own little mission to initiate change.

Are you with me?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest when I first read your posts I thought you were a teenager (that is not an insult). I admire your enthusiasm at the very least and wish you well. Don't be too disappointed if you do get involved and not everybody gives a toss.

Logistics, cost. These are always go to be the over riding factors at any event which wishes to survive. Charities benefit, messages get put across, some people will act (and I'm glad your one) and this is the best we can hope for.

My last on this subject.

That's not what Steve Hillage and Tim Blake told me in 79! There were implied quotes around the word expenses though.

Their 'expenses' were probably around the amount of the reduced fees that Glasto pays (which is, I believe, at around 20% of a normal fee). Such acts have travel expenses as well as crew expenses, and possibly manager fees as well to take out of what they're paid.

What is the evidence that is referred to? Would be good to know so that I can come to some sort of opinion (hard to without facts).

And what is the plan? it's referred to, but again no mention of what it is, making hard to comment?

+1 on the comment that the best way to deal with the human element is to interact. i know I did on the Monday with someone who was leaving something behind and they said "sorry I was being selfish wasn't I?".

I'm in the midlands and the normal prices are around £2.50 a pint, so I don't find Glasto too bad - sort of a compromise between home prices and London.

my local in Bristol charges £2.80 for Gem. I bought Gem at Glastonbury for £2.80.

And so the beer charges at Glasto are around the same prices as it's locality. :D

I know Gem was £3.20 in some bars at Glasto - but a 40p premium is still far lower than most other festivals charge, and the extra is going to support the Trades Union movement and not to fatten someone's pockets - a good thing in my eyes.

but thats why people are f**ked off. Surely, you have a bit of respect or are you really that selfish and immature? The whole festival conveys a green message. Leave no Trace is an excellent concept, I just cannot fathom why and how people don't adhere to this.... unless they really are selfish cnuts of course. In fact... it is that bloody simple... I'm angry now! Just f**king pack your stuff up, bin what you don't want... or at least put it near the bins, and take home all that you do. Simples.

Can be dodgy though. On Saturday in Shangri La somebody barged into me with such force that he nearly knocked me over, with no word of an apology. I got his attention by tapping him on the back (well, maybe it was more of a light shove), then told him in no uncertain terms what he had just done and why it was wrong. He looked very surprised, then did this funny hippy bow thing; presumably by way of apology. The thing is that other people around us acted like I was in the wrong. He didn't just fall into me as he was off his head either, it was a deliberate rude barge past.

my local in Bristol charges £2.80 for Gem. I bought Gem at Glastonbury for £2.80.

And so the beer charges at Glasto are around the same prices as it's locality. :D

I know Gem was £3.20 in some bars at Glasto - but a 40p premium is still far lower than most other festivals charge, and the extra is going to support the Trades Union movement and not to fatten someone's pockets - a good thing in my eyes.

Why would we throw away 2 perfectly good tents and a really good gazebo? :D

Glasto have been giving us the whole "leave your tents instead of throwing them away...children in Africa" etc pitch for a few years now. They do this at other festivals too. Its an opportunity for the festival/a charity to do something good with the "waste".

Glasto have been giving us the whole "leave your tents instead of throwing them away...children in Africa" etc pitch for a few years now. They do this at other festivals too. Its an opportunity for the festival/a charity to do something good with the "waste".

if you'd been listening properly you'd know that you're meant to pack your tent away ready for them.

Did you?

I bought the cheaper beer I drank backstage in Jazzworld - yes, I know that's not available to everyone, nor is having the very nice Paul McGann pull your pint for you. :D

2 perfectly good tents and a gazebo? Why leave them. Take them home. OR take half an hour taking them down, putting them in the recycling tents bit by the campsite wardens, and make sure that the area that you've occupied for 5 days or how long is left pristine... except for some flattened grass. It really isn't rocket science, and as dull as it is to write this, if everyone did their bit.... blah blah blah.