Thefts

Guest emzzzzz13

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. 1 son had his bag nicked - nothing much in it except his ticket (we leppers in the camper van field have to carry tickets at all times). As this was Friday I fully expected to find the house burgled as the ticket helpfully has our address on it. I'm still expecting a visit one night soon. The need to carry tickets, or ones without the address on, needs sorting for next year.

We had nothing robbed, but did get back to my tent around 6am on Friday to find someone sleeping on a chair on the Gazebo.

He was out for the count and it had just started pissing it down, so I covered him with a poncho, and wandered down to Joe Banana's to buy a blanket for him.

When the poor guy woke up a couple of hours later, he'd not been able to find his tent.

We also camped on Dairy Ground (south side) this year.

We're usually Big Ground folk... but due to the traffic palaver, had to find somewhere else for the first time in 15 years.

On the plus side, very nice neighbours, and a complete lack of Bristol Coke-Heads and Scouse Tent-Pissers, which we have had to put up with in recent times.

On the minus side... we also suffered tent thefts.

One of our party had the money removed from their wallets (but, again, no cards removed, so not as bad as it could have been). Also, a watch was taken.

We had great neighbours, but the tents are all quite large, so nobody actually saw the robbery take place. There were sightings of somebody in a red hoodie, described as "f*ck ugly"... but that wasn't a description that the police found helpful.

We heard that there had been 15 instances in Dairy that night (Thursday I think it was), many involving tent slashings, one of which involved a tent slashing with collateral face slashing. :huh:

There's nothing we can do about this problem except stick together.

Be alert, make friends with your neighbours, be sensible.

Glastonbury shouldn't be this way, but it is. We're just gonna have to make it an an enviroment where these cretins can't prosper.

It really saddens me to hear all these reports every year. So far I have been lucky and not been robbed once at Glasto, but the thought of someone coming in my tent when I'm asleep scares the shit out of me.

I'm not a little guy and can look after myself, but would be wary of confronting these people especially if the carry knives for tent slashing.

However if I heard some some shouting "Thief" and felt confident that more people would help I would go and deal out some of the justice that doesn't appear to be existent at Glasto.

Would people agree to keeping rape alarms in our tents and when we hear one go off get ready to do some shit kicking?

Edited by Jutt69

There were 8 of us that camped in the Dance field nr the other stage, and didn't see any tents robbed near us. We went for a walk on one day up to the park and saw loads of security all over that camp site with people being robbed, think it was the thurs mornin.

We did have a chat with a security guard who told us a "story" about how some runt had slashed a girls tent with her inside it and slasshed her face, she needed 19 stitches. I also saw the dibbs arrest a few people, which was a good sight, still don't like them though.

I did get into a right mangly state on fri night, so i sat outside me tent whilst me mates went up to the circle and there was one lad that kept walking past, must have been 3 times, all in the same direction. All dressed in black, and he never said hello which was weird as I made it a must to say hello, morning, or afternoon to anyone who walked under our gazebo with "CLUNGE" written on it! :huh:

We did have a chat with a security guard who told us a "story" about how some runt had slashed a girls tent with her inside it and slasshed her face, she needed 19 stitches. I also saw the dibbs arrest a few people, which was a good sight, still don't like them though.

a guy from America who was camped near us got £300 stolen from his tent.

Some young lads told me one of there friends woke to find somone in there tent trying to steal.

a fellow efester on here also woke to find somone on top of them looking for stuff to steal.

On the last night at about 5am i went back to my tent to find in wide open and my bags (that had been packed) tipped up, but nothing was missing (all was in there was smelly clothes anyway)

Out of 15 festivals ive been to thats my first experience :D ive never heard so many storys either from people camped near me. :D

Edited by Rachie

having read some of the horrors.... my mind boggles as to:

why people carried ALL their cash at once?

why lock ups wernt used?! and withdraw cash daily? put cam in there before bed? put trolley?

why people left stuff in their porch?! (RUBBISH only)

i had my cam on me for 1 nite and had it strapped to me.... not left lying around anywhere!

thieves want easy acces. porch is rich pickings as its quick and easy and unlikely for the occupier to hear. therefore dont leave anything bar rubbish there!!!!

clearly wen they came to my tent they saw nowt was available bar my cool bag and clothes.

the camps staff in the field told me that 3 birds and a bloke had been caught on the rob close to our field but if only cash was taken we had little chance of getting anything back.

gotta say i was really suspicious of someone on monday morning when we were packing at 4.30am, there was a lad in a site security vest on walking round the tents looking really suspicious, i actually saw him bend down to one, unzip the door a bit, look in, zip it back up and wander on a bit more. was going to challenge him but was too busy dropping the tent. when i looked for him after that he couldnt be seen. it would be a perfect disguise if you were on the rob though, a blue security vest. who'd suspect them

The security vest was probably robbed too - I was a steward this year and last year and we have it drummed into us to take care of the tabards as they can be used in this way. Also someone earlier in the thread mentioned how they couldn't believe anyone would pay to come in then go around stealing after the new fence went up - incredibly people are still getting over (and through...) the fence so it's likely at least some of the thieves didn't pay to get in.

It really saddens me to hear all these reports every year. So far I have been lucky and not been robbed once at Glasto, but the thought of someone coming in my tent when I'm asleep scares the shit out of me.

I'm not a little guy and can look after myself, but would be wary of confronting these people especially if the carry knives for tent slashing.

However if I heard some some shouting "Thief" and felt confident that more people would help I would go and deal out some of the justice that doesn't appear to be existent at Glasto.

Would people agree to keeping rape alarms in our tents and when we hear one go off get ready to do some shit kicking?

I had nothing stolen this year and have never had anything stolen at Glasto.

We got chatting to some policemen on Sunday night - mainly cos we'd seen a lot more of them this year and wanted to check if there were more on site. They told us that there were actually less police than last year

Ive never been, looking to go this year,

it's bad that they rob, lowlives.

I thought maybe sticking stuff in yer sleeping bag, with you inside (regardless of heat!) would stop anything from going wrong surely? they couldnt dip 6ft into a sleepign bag without you knowing right?

I dunno like, i'd like advice in all areas regarding Theft.

We were in big Camp and were fine. This was our first Glastonbury and i was removed Monday afternoon nearly kicking and screaming as i didn't want to come home.

We used the lock ups when it was dry but on Thursday when it rained we left everything in our tent for fear of falling over in the mud. ha ha

On Wednesday night my Dad had his wallet (£300) and mobile took from inside his tent whilst asleep. If I actually knew how much cash he was carrying I would of told him to divide it up a bit but we can all be wise after the event.

Two tents next to us a tent was slashed in two places and had a mobile, camera and wallet took.

Someone was confronted that night and he pulled a knife out and asked "WFT are you looking at ? etc"

When my old fella went to report the theft there were plenty in the queue, I think the figures are down due to incidents not being officially reported.

Thursday two of our tents were searched but nothing taken as we were all out and about and don't leave anything of any worth.

We were camped on Kidnet Mead.

Got on with things but took the edge of a good festival never have witnessed anything like this at previous Glastonbury's.

I was not there and will hopefully going next year (depending on my £££ situation) never been and only been to 1 day at V.

Reading all of these horror stories i'm thinking, is it all worth it? I'm 30 and would be terrified if someone broke into my tent. Especially with all the knife crime. People being slashed at Glasto, never heard that before (outside of the dance village anyway) heard some scary stories from Reading/Leeds like that.

My boss at work has been going to Glasto for 25 yrs! not one theft, I guess she's lucky.

But my question to you all is, what is the safest campsite? (if you have a choice) and which should you stay away from? closest to stages?

Cheers

I was not there and will hopefully going next year (depending on my £££ situation) never been and only been to 1 day at V.

Reading all of these horror stories i'm thinking, is it all worth it? I'm 30 and would be terrified if someone broke into my tent. Especially with all the knife crime. People being slashed at Glasto, never heard that before (outside of the dance village anyway) heard some scary stories from Reading/Leeds like that.

My boss at work has been going to Glasto for 25 yrs! not one theft, I guess she's lucky.

But my question to you all is, what is the safest campsite? (if you have a choice) and which should you stay away from? closest to stages?

Cheers