Thefts

Guest emzzzzz13

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had anything stolen before but we did this year. We had stupid bits stolen - tent lights, a camping chair and someone stole my hat...!! (why?!) We were camped in Pennards and when we came home on Thurs night our friends tent was opened but nothing stolen as there wasn't anything in there worth stealing (apart from the tent lights!!).

I was robbed two years back and i now stay 5 or six steps ahead of the thieves.

The thing is - they are after pure cash.

I can think of a 100 ways to guarantee they don't get it however "It could be you" so i won't be sharing them on here.

This is where it is tricky for the organisers. They can't exactly give out tips and tricks to follow while tucking yourself in.

On Wednesday night i heard someone scremaing "get the f**k out of my tent...i'll kill you". At the other stage near the Stewy Griffin flag. Slept with one eye open that night i tell you.

I would like to put a booby trap for the bstrds. A few used tampons in an old wallet left in a folded up pair of jeans i dont want.

First lets reply to the rude people, who think its really clever to remind people to use a lockup!

Indeed, the lockups are a good thing and last year when I took my DLSR I used it with out fail.

Leaving something of value in your tent is just the same as leaving a bag on the back seat of your car.

You may be lucky you may not be. HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waking up to find some SHIT SCUM BAG in your tent is not a nice experience. So take your 'it did not happen to me so who give a shit' and stick it up your arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway (feeling better) We were in Penards in the next section up from .

On the Wednesday night loads of tents around us where done (while people where in them asleep)

We talked about how the same happened last year and hope it would just be the one night of scum bag thief's.

Thursday night loads more got done including ME. nothing taking from me ( well maybe about £5 is loose change) I woke cold to find tent open and my stuff pulled outside of tent.

We spoke to other and many more had been done, some with loss other like me lost nothing, but felt very violated.

The Friday night, I was not so muntered and woke up as (like others) this f**ker came into the porch of my tent. I of course spoke very nicely to him describing exactly what might or might no happen if he came into the inside of the tent. He left and I heard him go into another tent and was told by a girl to go forth. I went and reported it.. thanks they said. In the morning. again loads around us where done again

Again we reported it to the camp staff, and then spoke to the Police ( thanks for the free torch Mr plod) they said that theft was down yadda yadda,, we said had they been told about our field. NO nothing!!

So we told them about it and they said how they had undercover guys and had arrested a number of people. for theft I asked, no drugs he said.

So, every night around us was hit inc me twice.

Saturday night, we got back to our tents around 4am. and just before 5am. I awoke to Dave (MrFunk) shouting at the top of his lungs 'THIEF' I came out to find he had chased a guy across the tents before stopping as he was naked .LOL

Funny part was he had gone the length of two tents before his sleeping back came off!!

By the time I came back out my tent Dave was gone again. looking for the guy.

I went to the stewards who called security, only because I told them if Dave caught the guy we would have an issue that would involve the police (Dave is allot stronger than he looks). We walked round looking for Dave, and found a wallet, a purse, a debit card, money and phones.

So since 1997, with out any trouble what so ever, to this year we had issue every night.. not good!! not good at all!!

As for Sunday night,, did not sleep onsight, came home :P losing money was and will never be an issue, having someone violate my space,, not a nice thing at all.

Thanks for reading

Doug.. not sure about the future of Glasto for me.. sad yes true yes.. camper fan.. maybe

Edited by mrfunk

Really does baffle me why people don't just sleep with their trousers on and their wallet in their pocket.......

however, having things nicked has got to be gutting - festival thieves deserve to be lynched. The statistics are blatantly far lower than the actual number of thefts - from the sounds of it, it would be nice if security took much more of an interest and the police focused on thefts rather than drugs.

Around midday on the Friday security did come around and warn our camp that there had been thefts near us the night before (Dance Village we were by) - all of us had been out during the night and when we got back both my tent and another persons tent were open, but being a bit f**ked we didn't really think anything of it - only realised that somebody must have gone in them when security told us like - nothing valuable had been left in there really, so nothing missing which was lucky.

I actually felt very secure the whole time, but mainly because we were in family camping with the fences and security guys on the gates.

I even managed to leave an entire rucksack outside on Wed night, after being too knackered to even remember I had put it down, and then on Thursday morning thought "shit, that's got all the kids clothes and my gear as well, oh noooooees!"

But it was where I had left it, on the grass outside!

We were fine for almost the whole festival, however one of our happy campers had his tent stolen on the Monday morning! Yes you are hearing right, his entire tent! I think someone must have thought we had left. We came back to find all his stuff on the floor and the tent no-where to be seen.

We did all find it pretty funny, guess you have to laugh sometimes. He was just happy someone didn’t pinch it on the Thursday morning. Its kind of like coming back home to find someone has nicked your entire house!

First time goer to Glastonbury was eventful and great with yet a downer to actually end the festival. My girlfriend and I had our tent stolen, my sleeping bag, pillow, deodorant and both of our ipods, now I know what's coming about the ipods in the tent being stupid, which is true. Everyday prior to that we had carried them in either my pockets or her bag but for some reason on Sunday we forgot them, both of us had a sense something was up with the ipods as we was out, so as we was returning to our tent around 6pm which was on the field opposite the Guardian lounge in front of all them rest posts, we found our tent had gone but bags of clothes, drink etc where all left behind. We are very greatful to the family behind us that actually packed our stuff up instead of leaving it laying there so anyone can take it.

What does baffle us is why don't people actually report this and how can someone not notice a guy dumping stuff out of a tent and obviously taking it! It's baffling, this is one of those inflatable tents, which chucks up and opens, not easy to put away I'm told! It left us FUMING with rage, more so my girlfriend at that point than I because it was her tent and the first time she actually used it, report was filled, doubt anything will actually come of it. We spent our night up in the Welfare which we are greatful for, decided to kip on the sofa but only slept from 4-5. Nice people up there, just kept helping us out with anything and everything (minus the ipods). It's just total frustration that he had to be OUR tent, feels like somebody has been watching us the whole time and just pounced when we went. Oh well in the end you could say karma helped us and gave us a roof over our heads when it really did pour down.

we were in the dairy field and found that on friday morning someone had been in and stolen all my friends cash from his wallet and his suspect cigarette collection which were in his trousers, there were also 9 other tents within about 60 foot of us that gone done, when we were being vocal about what had happened other people came to us from the tents next door, in all there was about £1400 taken from the 10 tents really close to us.

we reported it to the camp site crew, were told to stop a policeman an tell them, which we did. then we were told to report it you had to go to the police lock up, took about 40 minutes to wander there from where we were. The police told us there had been loads of incidents, however i couldnt believe when coming home in the car listening to the radio to hear that thefts were well down on last year with only around 170 incidents. Im pretty sure most people couldnt be arsed to report the incidents which is why they were well down.

id love to have seen the thieving twats get caught and a proper shoeing off someone for the misery they cause (thats the tents thieves an not the police by the way !)

My dad had his mobile phone pickpocketed on the was out of the Other field....quite obvious it didn't fall out as it was in a secured pocket and was turned off pretty much immediately :(

and there was someone in a friend's tent at about 4.30 on morning...one of our mate's found him and he did the whole "oh i though this was my tent" bollocks. Luckily nothing was nicked.

on the plus side, I found a mobile phone, which i handed in, and a camera, which i reunited with its owner after she came looking for it. my mate also reunited a mobile with its owner. so not all bad!

Someone went through my tent on Sunday evening, it was open when we got back about 2am. I found my rucksack and my radio discarded about three tents away. Drink and drugs which were in the tent were left there. However, someone did take my glasses - found the case the next morning but glasses had been taken out. Why ? Apart from them, only things which were stolen - as opposed to being scattered about the field - were a lantern and an umbrella. We were on Pennards near the entrance to the healing field, and a lot of tents around us had been ransacked on the Sunday night.

Nothing nicked, but I had nothing to nick. cash was always in my wallet, in my shorts pocket, safety pinned in, I left nothing but clothes, rubbish and a box of cornflakes in my tent.

Speaking to a girl on pennards friday morning and she'd been robbed, they caught the guy and he was safely off site and in a cell.

Interesting to hear about thefts around Dairy Ground. We ended up camping there. One of our friends who turned up later was camped just behind our tent. On Thursday morning she woke up and said that there was a slash in the fly sheet of her tent. I said it sounded like someone had tried to break ina and had anything been stolen. She didn't realise that all her money had gone from her purse until she went to buy breakfast!

It was a bit strange:

1/ Only her money was stolen from inside her purse, not the purse itself.

Seemed to be quite a few thefts in the dairy field area on thursday night/friday morning with 8-9 tents targeted. One couple were really upset as they had been saving to come to glastonbury but had £200 and all their cards taken on their first night there. My mate also had a wallet taken out of his tent whilst sleeping.

Police were very helpful but said that due to parking problems on wed/thursday a lot of security resources had been devoted to traffic management which meant there were few patrols of the campsite. Also having the photo and address on the ticket was a problem as if your ticket got nicked it was easy to use the info for identity theft - maybe something for the organisers to look at next year.

Where were your tents sited ? ie near the pathways or buried deep inside the myriad of other tents ?

We were in Dairy ground and didnt hear of a single incident ??? We were buried deep inside the other tents and was a pain in the butt to get to the pathway.

Feel sorry for anybody who got robbed.

I'm not being funny but all the people here posting must read the forums. There is a post that lists countless examples of Tent theft from last year. If people continue to leave easy pickings in the tent, then vultures will always be around to scavenge.

Please leave it in the lockups, just keep on your person what you need for a day or 2, it's the only way to inhibit those thieving bastards.

No. 1 son had his bag nicked - nothing much in it except his ticket (we leppers in the camper van field have to carry tickets at all times). As this was Friday I fully expected to find the house burgled as the ticket helpfully has our address on it. I'm still expecting a visit one night soon. The need to carry tickets, or ones without the address on, needs sorting for next year.