Ufc

just/john

Im surprised Shamrock didnt put him away with the rear choke.

Same here. A submission expert against someone who I think (could be wrong) had zero ground game experience. I wouldn't be surprised if the fight was fixed. Awful stuff apart from Road Warrior Animal.

Overall a very good show though, pitbull's comeback was impressive, Lashley looked DC-esque even if it was against a low level opponent. Enjoyed the Straus fight and loved seeing Mike Chandler get back in the win column.

Looking forward to the September show they announced last night, 4 man one night tournament with King Mo, Emmanuel Newton, Phil Davis, not sure of the other guys name

Tito Ortiz getting a title shot and Glory kickboxing on the same card, Schiling vs Daly and two more fights TBA. Kickboxing will happen in a seperate ring .

Edited by When Jokers Attack

last nights event was good, enjoyed the prelims more than the main card tbh, JJ was good, but i was surprised how well Penne coped with her, she wasnt that tenacious on TUF iirc.

good night for the brits.

shamrock v kimbo was embarrassing 

Yeah I enjoyed it, I wanted Machida to win, cos I really don't like Romero, but he was a beast. I fucking hate all of the god shit some of them spout, and his amazing back pedal after his homophobic comment was a joy to see.

That head kick KO from Thiago Santos was superb, he dropped him like a rock.

Edited by t8yman

Jesus.

I think Mendes beat Conor tbh. We havent seen him against a good (Mendes is actually great- as we know) wrestler, will certainly be interesting.

If Conor does beat him, this is the absolute best thing ever for the UFC, as all of the doubters will be silenced, and Aldo will be a definite underdog. 

Jesus.

I think Mendes beat Conor tbh. We havent seen him against a good (Mendes is actually great- as we know) wrestler, will certainly be interesting.

If Conor does beat him, this is the absolute best thing ever for the UFC, as all of the doubters will be silenced, and Aldo will be a definite underdog. 

And the Aldo fight will be an even bigger draw. 

McGregor loses though and its a disaster for him and UFC.

Oh he's great to watch, he has just been so bloody irritating talking himself up all the time. And has been said - he has never faced a top flight wrestler, be interesting to see how he handles Mendes (or how Mendes handles him more importantly)

I'm wondering if Conors first title "defense" will be the UFC Dublin show they just announced for October?

Aldo has really pissed on his chips here, biggest payday of his life, he could have turned up and got a huge payday, and a rematch would have been nailed on. Interesting that he was (I think) the only absent champion at the kit launch on Tuesday night. 

I just find it uttrly bizarre that McGregor predicted this so long ago.

He didn't. Don't buy the bullshit. He makes a million predictions, he's always gonna get 1 or 2 right. There's no way he beats Mendes inside the first round other than a lucky strike. He makes predictions for all of his fights, and has got very few of them correct. Mendes is no fucking slouch, he took Aldo 5 rounds, and KO'd Lamas in R1, a fighter Aldo needed 5 rounds to beat by decision. Imagine if he schools Conor after a 3 week fight camp? McGregors hype train wheels will come right off.

Plus Mendes is a true class act, one of the most popular men on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

Theres a large thread on Sherdog speculating over Aldo's rib. There are xrays showing it IS broken. If thats the case, Dana needs to be ashamed of himself, effectively calling his longest reigning current champion a coward.

Did the doctors not clear him?

if the sherdog thread is to be believed - only the doctor Dana paid to examine him, and allegedly he didnt he even see any x-rays. its gonna be a massive he said-she said situation as usual, but McGregors call for Aldo to be stripped of his belt is even more shameful than Danas implication that Aldo is a coward and is ducking the biggest fight of his career.

Aldo is a professional fighter, and a long reigning world champion, not some fucking hack who got lucky. Neither Dana nor Conor come out of this looking good. I'm praying for Mendes to win now.

Edited by t8yman

I've seen a few things of Dana over the past few months and he never comes across as a likable guy.Seems very...I dunno...just not a promoter I would trust.Cut throat in a despicable way rather than a ruthless efficient business man.To me,there's a difference.

The fact Aldo has pulled out of 5 fights though isn't exactly great.I'd imagine not many others have that kind of bad record?

not many champs in the last 5 years have defended their belts 2+ times a year, I believe if aldo had made those 5 fights, he would have made an average of 3 defenses a year. 

saying he has pulled out of 5 defenses paints him a little unfairly imho.

dunno if you have seen aldo mendes 2? this is a bit of a botch job, but its free.  it was fight of the year last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF01mqj7y9k

I used to really like Dana, because he would do all of the post fight pressers, and he would appear to be fairly honest about pretty much anything asked of him, he was a very visible face of the organisation, but in the last year or so he has stepped back from being the mouthpiece for various reasons, and you only really hear from him when its something controversial, so he goes into "company man" mode, and that Dana isnt much fun.

he has also become such a Conor nuthugger that I think its clouding his judgement about what is good for the sport.

Dana has spent so much time and effort promoting the fight hes just pissed off with Aldo for either faking it and pulling out (which isn't the case) or being sloppy in training so close to the fight and picking up an injury (which seems to be the case).

Love him or hate him, McGregor is money. The biggest draw in the history of the sport and someone who will travel and talk shit endlessly to promote a fight. So its only natural Dana associates with him. Or hes been told to do so by Fertitta. 

Edited by The Nal

I like Dana but he comes across as a right prick at times, remember after GSP/Hendricks? You don't treat your biggest star like that even if you don't agree with the decision. GSP done more for the company than anyone and always done what was asked of him. 

Did Dana actually call Aldo a coward? The UFC don't give a shit about Aldo, they always wanted McGregor to win, you only have to look at their twitter feed to see that, they retweet everything he says, the Aldo insults. Even the media call last night they were promoting him so much more than Mendes, I think they quoted Mendes maybe once during the whole call. McGregor isn't always right with his predictions - Siver head clean off in round 1? Didn't happen.

As for Aldo pulling out of fights, it isn't nearly as bad as Pettis, Cain etc. He pulled out of fights but still fought again in the same year. One of the most active champions. Worth reading his statement on the whole thing. Interim titles are utter nonsense and should be scrapped.

I can understand the ufc being annoyed with Aldo for getting injured, so much money has been spent on promoting this fight, the world tour, embedded videos, the $1 million (according to Rogan) promo video and it was going to be their biggest fight in a long time. If Conor wins then everything works out perfect for the ufc as the Aldo fight will be even bigger now but if he doesn't then it is going to be hilarious. I want Mendes to win just so everything backfires on them, not because I dislike Conor (I love him but do get sick of him at times) but because of their treatment of Aldo. If Conor wins then we get the Aldo fight so it doesn't really matter much to me who wins but be funny if he loses. 

One last thing, I can't wait for Lawler vs Rory and Tim Means vs Matt Brown.