Will Springsteen get his "stage"

Guest Jens Wildman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some adaptions made for the Saturday, even if it is just a couple sets of stairs to enable him to get right down to the barrier. The gap between barrier and stage is far greater than you'd see at a normal show.

Reasoning behind this is that he won't be getting anywhere near the payment for a normal show and may have therefore been allowed some input... longer set, adaptions to the stage etc.

I also very much doubt it will be televised, though I hope I'm wrong on that score. He's such a control freak though so it probably won't be.

Where has all this 'he won't be shown on tv' come from? There is no precedent in that he has never played a proper festival before, he has recently done the most commercial gig that exists in the Superbowl, and he's a self confessed 'attention whore'. Plus, being televised will more than likely result in a few extra album sales the following week.

Cohen didn't allow his set to be shown because he wanted to earn as much money from his Live in London DVD and CD releases - he only went out on the road again in the first place for financial reasons, so you can't begrudge him that. The same goes for when Green Day banned the BBC from showing their T in the Park performance - they wanted to protect the DVD that was coming out. I don't think Springsteen has a live DVD coming out.

I believe that the way the TV works at Glastonbury is that firstly the BBC decide who they'd like to broadcast, and then give that list to Glastonbury. Glastonbury then have to liaise with each of those artists, to get their permission to be filmed and broadcast.

It used to be the case that bands weren't necessarily too keen to be broadcast because they felt it would negatively impact on their sales, but I think things have turned around there, and they see it as a huge promotional opportunity ... it's certainly the case that at least the major bands who are broadcast see a sizable sales return.

And it would be a daft act who'd refuse I think, particularly as the pay-day from playing Glastonbury is poor in comparison to other shows they could play in its place. A band putting in a good performance should be able to recoup the difference in fees and more, as much of what's filmed is shown worldwide I think.

Where has all this 'he won't be shown on tv' come from? There is no precedent in that he has never played a proper festival before, he has recently done the most commercial gig that exists in the Superbowl, and he's a self confessed 'attention whore'. Plus, being televised will more than likely result in a few extra album sales the following week.

Here is something to remember... Eavis booked Bruce after seeing the Cardiff show last July,and being "blown away".He knows that a Bruce show involves maximum interaction with fans in The Pit,he saw it firsthand in Cardiff.

Chances are that the negotiations for Glasto didn't include Eavis saying "Sorry Bruce,the stage you use just won't work.But you can come and stand on the stage like a stiff,because that's the Glasgow tradition."

I'm sure that idea would've gone over like a lead balloon with Landau and the rest of Bruce Inc.They have a pretty formidable stage crew that gets paid good money to rebuild and tear down the stage 3 or 4 times/week.They build that stage for multiple football/soccer stadiums thruout the US and Europe,so I doubt constructing it for a site that only gets used 4 days a year would present much of an obstacle...

Cohen didn't allow his set to be shown because he wanted to earn as much money from his Live in London DVD and CD releases - he only went out on the road again in the first place for financial reasons, so you can't begrudge him that. The same goes for when Green Day banned the BBC from showing their T in the Park performance - they wanted to protect the DVD that was coming out. I don't think Springsteen has a live DVD coming out.

Here is something to remember... Eavis booked Bruce after seeing the Cardiff show last July,and being "blown away".He knows that a Bruce show involves maximum interaction with fans in The Pit,he saw it firsthand in Cardiff.

Chances are that the negotiations for Glasto didn't include Eavis saying "Sorry Bruce,the stage you use just won't work.But you can come and stand on the stage like a stiff,because that's the Glasgow tradition."

I'm sure that idea would've gone over like a lead balloon with Landau and the rest of Bruce Inc.They have a pretty formidable stage crew that gets paid good money to rebuild and tear down the stage 3 or 4 times/week.They build that stage for multiple football/soccer stadiums thruout the US and Europe,so I doubt constructing it for a site that only gets used 4 days a year would present much of an obstacle...

The piers are essential? :lol::):rolleyes:

I thought you lot rave on about how he's the greatest performer ever .... now you seem to be saying saying he's not a lot of kop without non-essential-to-the-music props.

That doesn't sound like he's such a great performer after all. ;)

But anyway, in answer to your question: I think it's hugely unlikely that he'll get those "essential" piers, as it would mean re-jigging the fest set-up to accommodate just Bruce.

I am fairly sure that Isle of wight festival managed to change a stage set up over night to put a runway in i think it was for the rolling stones? so it is possible but i doubt it will happen

the Isle of Wight is a one-stage festival, not a 50 stage festival.

And the Stones were lured to play it - they play less festivals than Bruce - because the guy who runs it is their regular promoter, and because he was able to promise the stage change for them.

One huge difference between IoW and Glastonbury of huge relevance is that IoW is an arena festival, so while they made the stage changes overnight they had a free-of-the-public space in which to do it no different to when they constructed the stage as a part of the festival set-up ... this could not happen at Glastonbury.

IoW doesn't have anything like the same traffic access issues as Glastonbury either, meaning getting trucks and whatever in & out to make that change was of little matter, whereas Glastonbury has to do all it can to minimize traffic ..... and overnight noise (at that end of the site) too!!

While it's not impossible that Glastonbury could change the stage for Bruce, I very much doubt he'd be the first that in an ideal world might want a stage change .... but as it's not been done for any other act, I very much doubt it will be done for him.

the only stage crew any act needs at Glasto is those that hump the kit onto the stage.

Would Glastonbury allow 'outsiders' to f**k about with their well constructed/well tested stage that's used for the biggest crowds in Britain to see bands, and perhaps cause a safety incident? I reckon there's not a chance in hell of that.

The pier isn't essential and I don't think they'll have it.

However, I'm no engineering/crowd-safety expert, but if the pier wasn't directly connected to the mainstage, then I can't see it taking a few blokes/gals more than an hour to set up - quite quietly. It'd just mean having to jump down from the mainstage into the pit and back up onto a jerry-built pier. Failing that, just drive in one of those street lighting vehicles and hoist him over the crowd! :rolleyes:

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

the only stage crew any act needs at Glasto is those that hump the kit onto the stage.

Would Glastonbury allow 'outsiders' to f**k about with their well constructed/well tested stage that's used for the biggest crowds in Britain to see bands, and perhaps cause a safety incident? I reckon there's not a chance in hell of that.

However, I'm no engineering/crowd-safety expert, but if the pier wasn't directly connected to the mainstage, then I can't see it taking a few blokes/gals more than an hour to set up - quite quietly. It'd just mean having to jump down from the mainstage into the pit and back up onto a jerry-built pier. Failing that, just drive in one of those street lighting vehicles and hoist him over the crowd! :rolleyes:

for the piers to serve their purpose would require the stage barrier to be removed tho, because the point of the piers is so that Bruce can walk out into the crowd. Removing the barriers is a big issue, even tho they'd of course be put back somehow .... but as they wouldn't then be near-straight they wouldn't have the same strength.

So the standard stage safety would be compromised, plus they'd be that issue for all acts playing that day as well, as the piers couldn't be installed just for Bruce.

It's worth noting that when the Stones played IoW they did so on the Sunday, so there was only the issue of putting their stage in, and not taking it out again - Bruce would need his stuff removed for the Sunday bands.

And bands start playing the Pyramid stage far earlier each day and play far later than is the case with IoW too, so there'd be much less time to make the changes than was available at IoW.

As I say, I really can't see it happening.

for the piers to serve their purpose would require the stage barrier to be removed tho, because the point of the piers is so that Bruce can walk out into the crowd. Removing the barriers is a big issue, even tho they'd of course be put back somehow .... but as they wouldn't then be near-straight they wouldn't have the same strength.

So the standard stage safety would be compromised, plus they'd be that issue for all acts playing that day as well, as the piers couldn't be installed just for Bruce.

It's worth noting that when the Stones played IoW they did so on the Sunday, so there was only the issue of putting their stage in, and not taking it out again - Bruce would need his stuff removed for the Sunday bands.

And bands start playing the Pyramid stage far earlier each day and play far later than is the case with IoW too, so there'd be much less time to make the changes than was available at IoW.

As I say, I really can't see it happening.

No-one would expect the barriers to be removed. What I was thinking was that they might put some kind of walkway in so he can at least get down to the people on the barrier. That would not compromise safety and would be an adequate substitute for piers out into the crowd. Couple of sets of steps either side of the stage is all that would really be needed.

nah, I still do0n't think that'd happen - the access in front of the stage would be compromised by doing that, which would itself be a safety issue.