The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

Flim Flam is all you need. But I watched so much YouTube stuff about him, and he was always on Penn Jilettes podcasts in the early days. His work on Sylvia Browne is fantastic, as well as the geller and popov stuff.

There's tons of case files on the jref website.

• Upvote 1

So just watched soaked in bleach. Obviously I'm not a ballistics expert or a graphologist so don't have the knowledge to ascertain if what the people are saying is true but its VERY convincing.

I'd like to read something addressing the counter argument as from watching this it seems nailed on Kurt didn't kill himself.

The main points being

1) Nobody in history has been found to be conscious with that much heroin in their body let alone able to hold a gun a pull the trigger

2) Where the gun was found on his chest vs the position of the shot gun cartridge is impossible, the gun would of had to of been rotated 90 degrees as it fell which no gun in the world recoils in that way

3) the top part of the note which is about music seems to be in a different hand writing style to the bottom which reads like an obvious suicide note.

Edited by lost

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got round to watching Bitter Lake. Pretty extraordinary stuff. I know Curtis is easy to mock and parody, but I really admire his style. He's making art collages as much as he's making documentaries, and his narration is just one of the constituent elements rather than the objective core truth of the films. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched this yesterday, brilliant doc. Was totally unaware of the story, but Michael Dowd was on Joe Rogans podcast the other day, so decided to look into him a bit. Incredible story of a dirty cop. A very dirty cop. He worked the 75th Pct in NYC in the 80's

Watched this yesterday, brilliant doc. Was totally unaware of the story, but Michael Dowd was on Joe Rogans podcast the other day, so decided to look into him a bit. Incredible story of a dirty cop. A very dirty cop. He worked the 75th Pct in NYC in the 80's

I came in here to post about this, outstanding viewing, watched it over the weekend. My friend told me about it when he saw it over the summer, forgot all about it until Dowd was on Rogan's podcast (still listening to to that). Brilliant stuff.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

Seeing as it's coming up to halloween, I've found this documentary on haunt attractions in the states. Apparently there's a massive underground subculture of people who make them in their back gardens. Some of these attractions look absolutely terrifying. I'm not sure why anyone would want to put themselves through something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWqILn-N2Ww

Edited by BlackHole2006

• 3 weeks later...

had the sudden urge to watch some documentaries so have been watching a couple that i remember people talking about on here

watched the Scientology one which i thought was great. a lot of stuff i knew before, but other stuff (namely the physical abuse etc) really shocked me

just finished binge watching The Jinx. fucking hell that last episode is intense. i'd stupidly ruined the ending for myself so knew what was coming, but it didn't spoil just how insane it is when it all unfolds at the end there (and him previously having his mic on in an earlier episode without realising was a nice little precursor to what would eventually happen)

anybody got any other suggestions for some 'must see' type documentaries? reckon i'll be giving that King Of Kong one a watch next after seeing it mentioned on the first page. there's probably a list somewhere about some must sees but always better to have peoples suggestions rather than just go on critical acclaim etc

Edited by FloorFiller

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

had the sudden urge to watch some documentaries so have been watching a couple that i remember people talking about on here

watched the Scientology one which i thought was great. a lot of stuff i knew before, but other stuff (namely the physical abuse etc) really shocked me

just finished binge watching The Jinx. fucking hell that last episode is intense. i'd stupidly ruined the ending for myself so knew what was coming, but it didn't spoil just how insane it is when it all unfolds at the end there (and him previously having his mic on in an earlier episode without realising was a nice little precursor to what would eventually happen)

anybody got any other suggestions for some 'must see' type documentaries? reckon i'll be giving that King Of Kong one a watch next after seeing it mentioned on the first page. there's probably a list somewhere about some must sees but always better to have peoples suggestions rather than just go on critical acclaim etc

Have you watched Bitter Lake yet? 

Just rewatched "Dear Zachary" today with my daughter, its just as intense the second time round. Its just seems such a perfect storm of crazy that it almost doesnt seem possible for it to be true.

and yes, bitter lake is one of the best ive seen for a while.