Films

Guest razz1e

Watched The Day of the Jackal last night. 1973. Old school. Interesting more as a historical document rather than a film but I reckon it was very enjoyable back then. One of those thrillers before mobile phones so contains a lot of people sitting at desks waiting for the phone to ring.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Toy Story 3 - great film! So glad they didn't compromise the film for 3D by having things JUMPING OUT AT YOU every five minutes (which, predictably, has made some to lazily claim to be "boring" - no acounting for taste eh?).

Also, if you've seen Inception - watch this:

Edited by Purple Monkey

Watched Toy Story 3 - great film! So glad they didn't compromise the film for 3D by having things JUMPING OUT AT YOU every five minutes (which, predictably, has made some to lazily claim to be "boring" - no acounting for taste eh?).

Also, if you've seen Inception - watch this:

Two problems are bothering me about Inception.

***Very spoilerish, do not read if you haven't seen it***

The first was the whole zero gravity thing. It was inconsistent.

- Real World on a plane: normal gravity, sleepers experiencing normal gravity, normal gravity transferred to level 1.

- 1st Level in the car: normal gravity from level 1. Falling car creates zero gravity inside the car, sleepers experience zero gravity. Zero g transferred to level 2

- 2nd Level in the hotel: zero gravity (because of the falling car in 1), sleepers experiencing zero gravity (floating into the elevator), so zero gravity should be transferred to level 3

- 3rd Level in the snow palace: normal gravity! How'd that happen? Sleepers experiencing normal gravity, normal gravity transferred to limbo.

- Limbo: normal gravity, normal service resumed.

The step from level 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 followed different rules, so it doesn't make any sense. Some people have stated that physical effects only permeate one level - but that doesn't work because Saito's wound is in all three levels, and the car going through the bridge barrier (level 1) causes an avalanche in level 3. Others have said that they don't have zero g in level 3 because they're asleep in level 2 and don't experience it. But again, they're asleep in the same way in level 1 while the car falls, yet experience zero g in level 2.

It's a massive plot hole that no one has been able to provide a satisfactory answer for. It's a "who's driving the boat?" moment (kermode fans will get this)

The second... limbo looked so bloody boring. You've been there, in love, building shit for 50 odd years, and the best you can come up with is row after row of boring generic skyscraper. For a film about imaginative architecture, Nolan really does lack imagination in his architecture. fuck.... should have just had Terry Gilliam do that bit, he'd have come up with some real awesome visuals.

- Real World on a plane: normal gravity, sleepers experiencing normal gravity, normal gravity transferred to level 1.

- 1st Level in the car: normal gravity from level 1. Falling car creates zero gravity inside the car, sleepers experience zero gravity. Zero g transferred to level 2

- 2nd Level in the hotel: zero gravity (because of the falling car in 1), sleepers experiencing zero gravity (floating into the elevator), so zero gravity should be transferred to level 3

- 3rd Level in the snow palace: normal gravity! How'd that happen? Sleepers experiencing normal gravity, normal gravity transferred to limbo.

The step from level 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 followed different rules, so it doesn't make any sense. Some people have stated that physical effects only permeate one level - but that doesn't work because Saito's wound is in all three levels, and the car going through the bridge barrier (level 1) causes an avalanche in level 3. Others have said that they don't have zero g in level 3 because they're asleep in level 2 and don't experience it. But again, they're asleep in the same way in level 1 while the car falls, yet experience zero g in level 2.

It's a massive plot hole that no one has been able to provide a satisfactory answer for. It's a "who's driving the boat?" moment (kermode fans will get this)

The second... limbo looked so bloody boring. You've been there, in love, building shit for 50 odd years, and the best you can come up with is row after row of boring generic skyscraper. For a film about imaginative architecture, Nolan really does lack imagination in his architecture. fuck.... should have just had Terry Gilliam do that bit, he'd have come up with some real awesome visuals.

Other than those.... the film was freaking awesome.

And the sound track is brilliant too (no matter how hit and miss Hans Zimmer can be sometimes).

Other than those.... the film was freaking awesome.

And the sound track is brilliant too (no matter how hit and miss Hans Zimmer can be sometimes).

Well,

apparently they were different (older) kid actors at the end of the film to those seen in the dreams (two names each in the credits per character). Plus... there was no time frame given as to how long he'd been away from them at the start of the film. I get the impression that he'd only been away for a couple of weeks "when are you coming home daddy?". So while Cob spends ages in the dream world(s) and limbo, perhaps only a couple of weeks pass in the real world between Mal dieing, Cob leaving, Cob working out how to return and returning.

As for

the other point... just because they're business rivals, doesn't necessary mean they've ever met. They live on different continents after all. Plus, Saito's company was a fair bit smaller than Murphy's. I could quite believe that the boss of Ford has never met the boss Daihatsu.

Edited by jump

Just back from toy story 3d, brilliant, best animated film by a mile..very dark in places though, i'd have thought it would have been pretty scary for kids

This is it though... I didn't really find it that difficult to understand. I think the media were hyping it up as being complicated, but it wasn't. It's almost as if the media were typecasting the public as idiots simply because the film didn't.

I'm not just saying that in a "oh I understood it all aren't I clever" way, I just didn't really get confused by it, and those bits I didn't quite get, I don't think really mattered.

For example: the only thing I had trouble with was exactly who was dreaming the dream each time. But I soon realised it didn't actually matter because they were all sharing the dream anyway. (the person hosting the dream had to be taught the architecture of the level by Page, but that's the only difference.)

Was there ever a point where you thought which level of the dream are we in now? We there ever a moment when you had absolutely no clue as to what they were doing? And if there was an instance, did it not become clear by the end of the film? I don't think there were ever any of those moments

Overall, Nolan did a fantastic job of explaining what the deuce was going on in my opinion. Perhaps overly explained it at some point.

explain.jpg

Watch something like Primer, and see how unforgiving it can be as an example.

Edited by Purple Monkey