Any runners here?

TheGayTent

That was bloody awful. Seriously in awe of anyone who does a marathon. I knew it was hard but hadn't truly appreciated the physical and mental grit it must take to train and run that distance. Back to 10ks for me, half marathons are not my friend :lol:

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, bunique said:

That was bloody awful. Seriously in awe of anyone who does a marathon. I knew it was hard but hadn't truly appreciated the physical and mental grit it must take to train and run that distance. Back to 10ks for me, half marathons are not my friend :lol:

You enjoyed it then?! How you feeling today? Aching and proud?

I'm feeling a little smug today - I broke a 6 year old pb on a hilly half marathon at Hastings. Hurt my foot though, am hoping it recovers quick - have a 20 mile training run planned for Thursday...

I enjoyed the first 6 enormously - great crowd support, really good pace. Hit a really grim long stretch from 8-10 which was just industrial estates for 2 miles and hardly any people out supporting on a gradual climb (a bit I've done loads on training)  and almost lost my mind. I also really wanted to make it back in under 2.30 (I am not built for speed...) and I missed it by 4.5 minutes. I realised at the 12 mile marker I had no hope of getting back inside my goal time and honestly could have cried. So I'm trying to feel proud but I do feel a bit disappointed with myself which has taken the shine off it. Bit dramatic, I know!! I raised a decent bit in sponsorship though so at least it wasn't time completely wasted. 

Hope your foot issues clear up soon - my husband ended up walking parts yesterday due to poorly feet, no fun at all. 

2 minutes ago, bunique said:

I enjoyed the first 6 enormously - great crowd support, really good pace. Hit a really grim long stretch from 8-10 which was just industrial estates for 2 miles and hardly any people out supporting on a gradual climb (a bit I've done loads on training)  and almost lost my mind. I also really wanted to make it back in under 2.30 (I am not built for speed...) and I missed it by 4.5 minutes. I realised at the 12 mile marker I had no hope of getting back inside my goal time and honestly could have cried. So I'm trying to feel proud but I do feel a bit disappointed with myself which has taken the shine off it. Bit dramatic, I know!! I raised a decent bit in sponsorship though so at least it wasn't time completely wasted. 

Hope your foot issues clear up soon - my husband ended up walking parts yesterday due to poorly feet, no fun at all. 

There's nothing worse than a tough part of a course that corresponds with being tired and no crowd support. Have been there and feel your pain...

i would suggest that missing it isn't a bad thing as you can easily achieve it next time...but sounds as though there won't be a next time! 

There will be -  probably won't do that one again for a couple of years though! Might try another next year. Part of the reason for wanting to break 2.30 was that I'd have nothing to lure me back to try again, and now I have no excuse :lol:

• 1 month later...

Finished today in 5 hours and a minute! 

Would have been quicker if I didn't have to stop 13 miles in and pop my blisters (yuk)

I was expecting to finish in 6 hours,  so very happy with my result :)

I really enjoyed it, but the fundraising is such a hassle that I think this might be my first and last! 

Well done Tgt! :)

7 hours ago, nightcrawler13 said:

Finished today in 5 hours and a minute! 

Would have been quicker if I didn't have to stop 13 miles in and pop my blisters (yuk)

I was expecting to finish in 6 hours,  so very happy with my result :)

I really enjoyed it, but the fundraising is such a hassle that I think this might be my first and last! 

Well done Tgt! :)

Congrats! 

8 hours ago, themuel said:

Amazing, well done guys! I had a year off this year and went up to support a friend instead.

Managed to see her at five different points which I felt was an achievement in itself! 

That is seriously impressive - most I've ever managed when supporting is 3 ! 

well done to anyone who ran the London Marathon. 

I did it 9 years ago it was my first and got me hooked on running.  I have entered every year since and never got a place. It's easier to get Glastonbury tickets than get in to the London Marathon. I normally do the Edinburgh Marathon now, it;'s nice tto run by the sea.

I will get in again on year. 

Ssshhh don't tell anyone !

The odds are close to ridiculous of getting a place through the ballot now. 

You can increase your odds by joining a running club. 

Alternatively just be really fast and get a GFA place or if you have lots of contacts get a guaranteed charity place. I know people who already have guaranteed entry for next year via this route. 

Edited by TheGayTent

5 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Ssshhh don't tell anyone !

The odds are close to ridiculous of getting a place through the ballot now. 

You can increase your odds by joining a running club. 

Alternatively just be really fast and get a GFA place or if you have lots of contacts get a guaranteed charity place. I know people who already have guaranteed entry for next year via this route. 

i did it for Charity one year and wasn't able to raise the full 3k they wanted, so they hounded me with solicitors till lI paid the last grand myself

On 10 May 2016 at 11:35 PM, willutalk said:

Can someone here encourage me to go running between revision. Just don't have that running urge at the moment. Can't believe I am the same person who did the Bath Half back in March!

Get your arse out there - even if you just do a couple of miles - you'll feel better for it when you're done. 

Better to do a little than nothing at all. I'm doing one of these OCRs on Saturday. Looking forward to doing some running that has no pressure with regards to a time. 

Edited by TheGayTent

Haven't run since the half marathon but am doing a half relay for work in a few weeks so have treated myself to some new running trainers which arrived tonight. Hoping that will encourage me out the door!