Any runners here?

TheGayTent

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stupidly entered the ballot when training for my first 10k was going well, but after doing the 10K in July, i don't think I am quite ready to contemplate doing a full marathon yet!

Do really need to get back to running though, as I wanna do the 10k olympic park run again next year and maybe if funds/training go right, the Disneyland Paris half marathon =p

Did my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. The problem I had was that I broke a rib about 6 weeks before race day so training was limited for quite a while, was not at the level I should have been at. Despite that it was a great day and would highly recommend it. I just wouldn't do it again if I was at the same fitness level as this time. 

It also confirmed that my body probably couldn't handle a full marathon. My knees can't hack it. Too much sport growing up has ruined them. Felt like Ledley King.

Local half opens for registration later so am going to go for it!

I'm currently doing a "mile a day" challenge with a friend who is raising money for her local mother and baby mental health unit where she was once a patient. I've promised to donate a quid for every mile I run. Managed a measly one the first day, but 4 last night including the beastly hill that's in the half marathon route. It's a good way to avoid procrastinating and just get out and do it.  

Could end up expensive but all for a good cause :thumbs up:

Which half are you doing? 

I've recently started training for London. Didn't get a ballot place but am doing it for the Roy Castle Foundation - my cousin has stage 4 Adenocarcinoma and probably won't be around by race day. 

Sorry to hear about your cousin TGT -  it will keep you going through the tough miles if nothing else. 

It's Stafford half which is my home course - at least 4 friends and my husband have signed up too so lots of mutual support. I'll be raising money for the MS Society :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hungry :lol:

My hips are protesting a bit but feel better than yesterday. Will do a short run over the weekend and loosen them up. The HM plan I'm following says to drop the distance back next week, then run 12 the following week so will try and stick to that. Half isn't til March but I'm a fair weather runner so want to get the miles in before the ice and snow interrupt matters

I have to say - I always thought 2 hours running was about my limit and doing the 10 has only confirmed it. Fair play to anyone who can run a marathon - I was bored of my own company by the time I'd finished!

51 minutes ago, bunique said:

I have to say - I always thought 2 hours running was about my limit and doing the 10 has only confirmed it. Fair play to anyone who can run a marathon - I was bored of my own company by the time I'd finished!

Now you know how your mates constantly feel :D 

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2015 at 4:52 PM, TheGayTent said:

Anyone else running the London Marathon in 2016?

I am :)

I'm up to week 10 of the training, did 16 miles on Sunday and within 10 minutes of finishing had to drive to perform for two hours at a children's party.... everything still hurts

I'm £45 off hitting the £1700 target, the fundraising was harder than the training so far!

www.justgiving.com/DanTasticLondonMarathon

Well done. An 18 week plan? 

I'm up to 18 miles on my long run but have had an enforced injury lay off of 10 days...going out for a short run tonight to test my shin out...

Agree re the fundraising being tougher than training - as if you haven't got enough on your plate - but great causes all. 

ha, just realised I'm actually on week 9, somehow skipped ahead!

I spent a month in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia in January, so started my training in 50 degree heat.... blehhhhhhhh

I have malatia patella, so the back of my kneecap is rough instead of smooth and swells every time i run.... i bought a fancy knee brace and i'm able to run for the first time in my life :)

i take it you've been into running before this? I hope the shin gets better!

14 minutes ago, nightcrawler13 said:

ha, just realised I'm actually on week 9, somehow skipped ahead!

I spent a month in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia in January, so started my training in 50 degree heat.... blehhhhhhhh

I have malatia patella, so the back of my kneecap is rough instead of smooth and swells every time i run.... i bought a fancy knee brace and i'm able to run for the first time in my life :)

i take it you've been into running before this? I hope the shin gets better!

Presumably plenty of quad sets for you then? Good news the brace is working. 

Have done a few marathons now, but only really to keep a terrible diet without getting hugely overweight. First time I've had a reason to run other than my own well being - makes a difference when it comes to motivation for training in the cold and wet. 

• 3 weeks later...

i've quit my ecig recently, so been eating way too much, thank god it's in conjunction with all this running!

I don't suppose you have any idea what to do about pains in my toes? It's like my toes start to curl after the first 10 miles and under the top of my toenail is bruised once I'm done :(

12 minutes ago, nightcrawler13 said:

i've quit my ecig recently, so been eating way too much, thank god it's in conjunction with all this running!

I don't suppose you have any idea what to do about pains in my toes? It's like my toes start to curl after the first 10 miles and under the top of my toenail is bruised once I'm done :(

You sure you're wearing the right size shoe? I've only had that issue before when I've had too small a shoe on. 

Now only ever run wearing half a size up from what i usually wear - as my feet swell up if I'm running in excess of 10 miles. 

Got an 18 mile training run planned for Saturday morning - London Marathon not far away now. 

42 minutes ago, nightcrawler13 said:

Definitely 1/2 a size too big for me.... they are Decathlon shoes, are marathon shoes only decent if I buy the $$$ ones?

I ran my first 18 on Tuesday, owwwwww, I had a fencing lesson that night as well, which was brutal!

Good luck with yours!

You're probably running with your shoes too loose if the sizing is correct but toes hurt.

No need to spend big bucks on shoes, I've always limited to around £60, most important thing is support and cushioning; whatever works for your running style.

Obviously don't run in new shoes on the day of the race(I have seen people do this, not pretty).

The fact that you've done the hard bit (training) means that you'll 'enjoy' the day (though mile 18 - 22 ) is more mind than body!

Have a great London, take it all in, don't go off too fast, plenty of fluids, plenty of Vaseline and you'll have a magic time.

I'll be watching it with envy, last time I ran it was 2012; I may have one more in me but age is a b'stard :lol: