Cricket

greeneyes1980

54 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

The county scoreboards on what is a massively important day show how ridiculous the current championship schedule is. 

But T20!

Completely agree though. Title decider submerged in rain, lots of promotion being determined by games with a first innings total under 200. Splitting the first class game to the dregs ends of the season is ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

What happens if Buttler doesn’t perform with the gloves...do we pitch Foakes in cold in South Africa or recall Bairstow...?

Well I'd rather an out-of-form Foakes than an out-of-form Bairstow. I know what you mean though, when Buttler was first dropped from the test team, it's because his batting form was impacting his glovework, and he hasn't become a vastly better keeper since over his time in ODIs.

• 2 weeks later...

So Silverwood confirmed.

I'm very neutral about this really... I think he's a good coach, how good I guess we'll see. Unfortunately, I think that guarantees Root remains as captain for the foreseeable future.

Is there any word on a change of batting coach? That's another change that's desperately needed....

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

So Silverwood confirmed.

Yes, I’m not convinced there was really anyone else in the frame. 

I'm very neutral about this really... I think he's a good coach, how good I guess we'll see. Unfortunately, I think that guarantees Root remains as captain for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. 

Is there any word on a change of batting coach? That's another change that's desperately needed....

Not that I’ve heard. Given his previous working relationship with Silverwood, and the fact that he’s currently Yorkshire’s batting coach, would it be a massive surprise if the role went to Grayson? 

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yes, I’m not convinced there was really anyone else in the frame. 

Agreed. 

Not that I’ve heard. Given his previous working relationship with Silverwood, and the fact that he’s currently Yorkshire’s batting coach, would it be a massive surprise if the role went to Grayson? 

Well the Arthur and Kirsten talk just seemed like "international coach sort of available". I can't believe Stewart was ever seriously considered, it's not like he's a coach anyway.

Grayson wouldn't surprise me, although that it definitely wouldn't enthuse. A batting coach who hasn't managed to get Lyth, Ballance, and Bairstow to solve the glaring errors in their technique?

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Grayson wouldn't surprise me, although that it definitely wouldn't enthuse. A batting coach who hasn't managed to get Lyth, Ballance, and Bairstow to solve the glaring errors in their technique?

To be fair to him, I’m not sure you’ve given him much time to do so! 

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, kaosmark2 said:

troll

Guilty, couldn’t resist. 

Sounds as though the wicket is a usual PE wicket so a big positive Root won the toss - solid start so far. 

Got back from CT on Saturday, booked up a return to Galle yesterday. 61 days to wait...

I suspect Anderson has played his last ever test match on tour. All good things must come to an end unfortunately but not a bad way to bow out. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Guilty, couldn’t resist. 

Sounds as though the wicket is a usual PE wicket so a big positive Root won the toss - solid start so far. 

Got back from CT on Saturday, booked up a return to Galle yesterday. 61 days to wait...

I suspect Anderson has played his last ever test match on tour. All good things must come to an end unfortunately but not a bad way to bow out. 

Yeah, Sibley's looked solid in SA. He's not scoring off Philander/Rabada, but he's cashing in against the rest of the attack.

Nice! Very jealous.

You're probably right. It's hard to see much point taking him to Sri Lanka, we'll only play 2 seamers + Stokes anyway, or if we do play 3 it'll be going for pace not swing. I imagine he'll hoop it around in the summer and get to 600, but as the injuries pile up it'll get harder and harder to keep returning.

I'm excited to see Wood in tests again. If he can stay fit enough, even if just to play 2 games/series, he can do some serious damage.

I think I’d let Buttler keep the gloves for the last test of the tour. However, I’d bring Foakes back for SL. Buttler’s had so many chances now and as much as it’s enjoyable watching him bat, he’s just not out in the middle for long enough. 1 century in 71 innings is poor even for a wicketkeeper. 

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I think I’d let Buttler keep the gloves for the last test of the tour. However, I’d bring Foakes back for SL. Buttler’s had so many chances now and as much as it’s enjoyable watching him bat, he’s just not out in the middle for long enough. 1 century in 71 innings is poor even for a wicketkeeper. 

His form between 2018 and the world cup was excellent, despite only the one century. I thought this was an interesting piece on his recent struggles:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28536244

That said, I just don't see any reason not to bring Foakes in apart from "Buttler is great fun". He's the best keeper and should never have been dropped. A top class keeper will be more important again in Sri Lanka as well.

His form between 2018 and the world cup was excellent, despite only the one century. I thought this was an interesting piece on his recent struggles:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28536244

That said, I just don't see any reason not to bring Foakes in apart from "Buttler is great fun". He's the best keeper and should never have been dropped. A top class keeper will be more important again in Sri Lanka as well.

Yeah interesting piece but there’s plenty of areas to drive a Foakes size hole through. By cherry picking Buttler’s golden period, you’re lazily ignoring 2/3rds of his test career.

Even if we go with the logic for a second, 50% of his golden period was at home against opposition who historically do badly in English conditions, and the other 50% is against probably the current worse two test teams in WI and SL. 

Sometimes the obvious answers are the truth. I’d say it’s a combination of burn out - he’s done the World Cup then straight into the Ashes, then tours of New Zealand and South Africa...with potentially Sri Lanka and then a month of IPL... - and not being quite good enough at test level. 

I’d give him a couple of months off, let him go play IPL in April, then see how Foakes has done in Sri Lanka. We can re-evaluate then. 

England’s middle/lower order batting in Sri Lanka is likely to consist of a combination of Stokes, Pope, Moeen, Curran, & Woakes - therefore it’s unlikely we’ll miss Buttler’s free flowing, quick scoring. 

10 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yeah interesting piece but there’s plenty of areas to drive a Foakes size hole through. By cherry picking Buttler’s golden period, you’re lazily ignoring 2/3rds of his test career.

Even if we go with the logic for a second, 50% of his golden period was at home against opposition who historically do badly in English conditions, and the other 50% is against probably the current worse two test teams in WI and SL. 

Sometimes the obvious answers are the truth. I’d say it’s a combination of burn out - he’s done the World Cup then straight into the Ashes, then tours of New Zealand and South Africa...with potentially Sri Lanka and then a month of IPL... - and not being quite good enough at test level. 

I’d give him a couple of months off, let him go play IPL in April, then see how Foakes has done in Sri Lanka. We can re-evaluate then. 

England’s middle/lower order batting in Sri Lanka is likely to consist of a combination of Stokes, Pope, Moeen, Curran, & Woakes - therefore it’s unlikely we’ll miss Buttler’s free flowing, quick scoring. 

That India team did/does have excellent seamers that performed well during that series and were suited to English conditions, and he outscored Cook, Root, and Stokes during his golden year.

I would argue that Buttler is good enough, but not the best available. I completely agree that Foakes should play in Sri Lanka, although I'd worry that giving Buttler the series off would lead to some idiot trying to squeeze Bairstow back into the team during his absence.

Do you think Woakes will play in Sri Lanka? I'd imagine it'll be Broad + Archer/Wood and maybe Curran alongside 2-3 spinners. I just can't see him getting a game (he should be in the squad).

I'd love to see Moeen back for Sri Lanka, but I have a nasty suspicion he won't be. I feel like the ECB have really fucked up how to manage him, and that lack of a central contract leaves him free to piss about in the Pakistan T20 league for more money and less pressure.

58 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Do you think Woakes will play in Sri Lanka? I'd imagine it'll be Broad + Archer/Wood and maybe Curran alongside 2-3 spinners. I just can't see him getting a game (he should be in the squad).

I don’t think Broad will even travel to Sri Lanka so yes I expect Woakes to get game time. 

If I get time, will come back to the other points. 

14 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yup. Golden year in 2016 but his test career is incredibly mediocre around that, and he's had plenty of chances and keeps getting worse. 

Denly's done a perfectly serviceable job, though has figures that suggest there probably is someone better. I'm more than happy with the talk of Crawley at 3 below Sibley/Burns. I wouldn't even hate Jennings in Sri Lanka as long as he doesn't go anywhere near a team that has swing bowlers. But Bairstow? Again? It's not even doing him any favours, he hasn't had any time or matches to work on his red ball game even if he is to be brought back at some point.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, kaosmark2 said:

That India team did/does have excellent seamers that performed well during that series and were suited to English conditions, and he outscored Cook, Root, and Stokes during his golden year.

Bumrah was injured at the beginning of the series, and Cook, Root, and Stokes had poor series (for them) rather than Buttler being very good - he didn’t even average 40 that summer?

On 1/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, kaosmark2 said:

I'd love to see Moeen back for Sri Lanka, but I have a nasty suspicion he won't be. I feel like the ECB have really fucked up how to manage him, and that lack of a central contract leaves him free to piss about in the Pakistan T20 league for more money and less pressure.

Difficult one, I’m not sure how much either party is at fault, I just know I enjoy watching an in form Mo

48 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Bumrah was injured at the beginning of the series, and Cook, Root, and Stokes had poor series (for them) rather than Buttler being very good - he didn’t even average 40 that summer?

Difficult one, I’m not sure how much either party is at fault, I just know I enjoy watching an in form Mo

Even without Bumrah it was an impressive attack. And wasn't Kohli the only player on either team who averaged 40? Cook described it as the toughest batting conditions he'd ever played in.

I love Mo, he's one of my favourite cricketers. He was clearly struggling vs Australia, the NZ pitches wouldn't have suited him and he needed a break, but he could have been handed a central contract and still given that time off. Hell Bairstow has a test contract.