Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, thetechi said:

Just to jump on the opinion bandwagon...

For my personal taste, the lineup is incredible. Add Biffy Clyro and The Killers and it would include every single internationally known act I listen to on a regular basis...

Why do people think the lineup isn't that great? Well, as I've mentioned before, I think it's all to do with how they've announced it. Yes, admittedly the tickets wouldn't have sold as quickly if they'd withheld any of the headliners but with so many good bands, if they were going to drip feed, they really should have kept a couple of subs until now. Then you'd still get the "oh my god, this keeps getting better" reactions that we had in December, but the less well known/ not to everyones taste acts would be disguised within the brilliant/ more well known acts. 

I mean, PKP only went on sale last week so it's a little confusing as to why it has been done this way round.

But I should emphasise again just how good I think the lineup is. I think maybe everyone got a little excited when such big names were announced at the start.

I think you pretty much summed up the situation. I also think the lineup is solid. I am praying for Sum 41 and Cage the Elephant. I didnt really know Biffy but after seeing so much people talking about it here i decided to take a look and they are indeed, terrific. so yeah, id be pretty happy to get them too,

2 hours ago, lighthouse said:

The amount of people who still care about millennium rock bands like Linkin Park, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, Offspring, 3 Doors Down, Limp Bizkit, Sum 41, Pennywise, Alien Ant Farm and Good Charlotte baffles me. Really. I thought it was a typical german thing (looking at ale these RAR/Hurricane lineups). 

But I've got the feeling that people only care about these acts because they grew up with them. In that case: I didn't (I kind of avoided this type of music as a kid), and it's really difficult to like this stuff for someone who 'discovers' these bands right now. Fan or not: the things these acts sing about are aimed at teens/adolescents... so it's hard to identify with it. 

It's a shame that they ONLY program these '00's nostalgia acts' on the saturday main, which makes it kind of one dimensional. If you don't like this type of music, you're screwed. And as it stands now RW doesn't give a great alternative on the others stages. 

Please don't shoot me down for this post, I just wanted to share this bit. ;-) Feels good. 

I think there is a bit of truth to what you say but I cant completely agree. Im 31 and I am super glad with the current lineup. I use festivals to stay in touch with new music and discovery cool new things. RW has not failed me so far in terms of delivering both bands I already love and new ones for start loving. Maybe you really just haven't given the bands announced a fair chance?

There are new bands (although not new to me) that are (i think) brilliant, like Warhaus, Warhola, Tout va bien, Bazart, Future Islands, Kaleo, Nathaniel, and Frank Carter.

And there are new bands (First time I heard about them when they were announced) that I am already excited to see, like Benjamin Clementine, Witney, Cigarettes after sex, and Rag n bone man.

I really, really think the line up is rock solid. best of the year so far. Good alternatives are there, at least imho

Edited by carlosd

The amount of people who still care about millennium rock bands like Linkin Park, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, Offspring, 3 Doors Down, Limp Bizkit, Sum 41, Pennywise, Alien Ant Farm and Good Charlotte baffles me. Really. I thought it was a typical german thing (looking at ale these RAR/Hurricane lineups). 

But I've got the feeling that people only care about these acts because they grew up with them. In that case: I didn't (I kind of avoided this type of music as a kid), and it's really difficult to like this stuff for someone who 'discovers' these bands right now. Fan or not: the things these acts sing about are aimed at teens/adolescents... so it's hard to identify with it. 

It's a shame that they ONLY program these '00's nostalgia acts' on the saturday main, which makes it kind of one dimensional. If you don't like this type of music, you're screwed. And as it stands now RW doesn't give a great alternative on the others stages. 

Please don't shoot me down for this post, I just wanted to share this bit. ;-) Feels good. 

Agree with this totally. Despite being the right age for these kind of bands when they came around first time, I guess I was into other music at the time and this type of millennium rock really passed me by. I therefore find it pretty hard to relate to most of it as a newcomer.

Hoping that there may be a bit more variety added to the undercard for Saturday (guessing there should still be a couple of barn acts to be announced), otherwise it may be a trip to Leuven to see the Lions match against New Zealand for me - depending what time that kicks off of course :-D

I think you've answered your own question here, it's actually a fantastic marketing ploy and it worked.

The teen market will be into them, as you say caters for young adulthood. Then the customer who is in there 30s have more disposable income than teens , can lap it up from an era more simple and less complicated.

It's not my thing either, then again I'm all over festivals like Kendal calling who cater for the 90s indie boy in me.

It's perhaps why a lot of festivals are struggling, they've forgot what the customer with disposable income wants.

Anyway......

On 01/03/2017 at 11:17 AM, Apocalyptica said:

Can someone help me with some transportation please. 

I can't find any Buses from Paris to Brussels. Anyone knows about this? 

Are there enough Buses between Paris and Brussels? Any help appreciated. Thanks! 

Hi mate ! I go to Rock Werchter every year from Paris, so I can help :

The best option is indeed to take the train Thalys at Gare Du Nord, and you stop at Bruxelles-Midi.

Tickets cost usually 29€ Gare du Nord - Bruxelles and 29€ Bruxelles - Gare Du Nord. So 58€ round trip ...!

It's easy and fast, Paris - Bruxelles takes 1h30, then you have free transports in Belgium with the ticket, and Bruxelles-Leuven-Bus to the campsite takes 45 minutes.

So Paris - campsite takes...2h15min ! for 29€ only... I highly recommend it. You have even time to come on Thursday morning, and be easily in time for the first concerts, setting tents, take lunch etc.

There are even tickets at 22€ for the earliest trains...

And when you come back from Werchter, you can't imagine how awesome it is to sit at a café in Bruxelles-Midi train station and ask for a coffee. They have every flavours you want to... It's amazing. 

--

Concerning the line-up, to me it's just incredible, and don't believe that the undercard is not as good as past years, I think it's even better... Kaleo, Future Islands, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Dropkick Murphys... are awesome performers. And it's not over... It can only improve... 

21 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It reminds me of a lineup where it's great if you've never seen them before or they have to be your thing.

For me, The Chainsmokers, Imagine Dragons....just as I fancy it again although it's their 1st lot of stuff much more, Royal Blood, SOAD, Passenger...again the 1st stuff, 2nd album was shit, JEW and Blink I guess but not as into them and LP just not these days, Foo's, Rag N Bone Man then Dropkicks and The Kills have a couple. I would defo choose Nova Rock over it if I was choosing one.

Sorry mate but I disagree! I've seen many acts of the bill, and... 90% of the ones I've seen were more than just very good. It will be my 5th Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats show in just two years, who are easily one of the best new bands, like Kaleo, Whitney and Future Islands, and I've never had enough, same for Dropkick Murphys. The line-up is very diversified, maybe one "old" act is missing. Van Morrisson could fill that local legend slot. I hope so at least. 

Anyway, only good things coming, big names, small names, good names, old names, new names, wait for it, enjoy !

34 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

The best option is indeed to take the train Thalys at Gare Du Nord, and you stop at Bruxelles-Midi.

Tickets cost usually 29€ Gare du Nord - Bruxelles and 29€ Bruxelles - Gare Du Nord. So 58€ round trip ...!

It's easy and fast, Paris - Bruxelles takes 1h30, then you have free transports in Belgium with the ticket, and Bruxelles-Leuven-Bus to the campsite takes 45 minutes.

So Paris - campsite takes...2h15min ! for 29€ only... I highly recommend it. You have even time to come on Thursday morning, and be easily in time for the first concerts, setting tents, take lunch etc.

And when you come back from Werchter, you can't imagine how awesome it is to sit at a café in Bruxelles-Midi train station and ask for a coffee. They have every flavours you want to... It's amazing. 

--

Concerning the line-up, to me it's just incredible, and don't believe that the undercard is not as good as past years, I think it's even better... Kaleo, Future Islands, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Dropkick Murphys... are awesome performers. And it's not over... It can only improve... 

Sorry mate but I disagree! I've seen many acts of the bill, and... 90% of the ones I've seen were more than just very good. It will be my 5th Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats show in just two years, who are easily one of the best new bands, like Kaleo, Whitney and Future Islands, and I've never had enough, same for Dropkick Murphys. The line-up is very diversified, maybe one "old" act is missing. Van Morrisson could fill that local legend slot. I hope so at least. 

Anyway, only good things coming, big names, small names, good names, old names, new names, wait for it, enjoy !

This is really useful. Thanks mate. 

Can I ask you one more thing. 

Are there any trains from Charles airport to Brussels? Or should I just visit the website? Do they have all timings there.?

41 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

--

If I can find a train directly from the Charles airport to Brussels that'd be really great. I don't want to go back to Paris and from there take a train. Any help appreciated. 

Just now, Apocalyptica said:

This is really useful. Thanks mate. 

Can I ask you one more thing. 

Are there any trains from Charles airport to Brussels? Or should I just visit the website? Do they have all timings there.?

You just have to take a RER B ticket (1€90), and it's direct from Aéroport Roissy Charles de Gaulle to Gare Du Nord,  you have one train every 6 minutes. Then you take the Thalys from Gare Du Nord to Brussels. You can get the timings for RER on several websites, vianavigo, ratp.fr ...

9 minutes ago, Apocalyptica said:

If I can find a train directly from the Charles airport to Brussels that'd be really great. I don't want to go back to Paris and from there take a train. Any help appreciated. 

You have that possibility, yes, but it's more expensive, between 45 and 90€. It takes between 1h35 and 2h30, and a lot of possible timings in the morning or afternoon.

RER B takes 35 min between Airport and Gare Du Nord. So it's a complicated question.

On the one hand, to take RER + Thalys is cheaper.

On the other hand, there's a risk of troubles on RER (which often happens, I take it every day to go to university), so the TGV Charles de Gaulle - Bruxelles is the safest way, but more expensive.

Edit : when I say troubles, I'm talking about slow down (no danger or that kind of stuff)

Edited by Tremousse

22 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

You have that possibility, yes, but it's more expensive, between 45 and 90€. It takes between 1h35 and 2h30, and a lot of possible timings in the morning or afternoon.

RER B takes 35 min between Airport and Gare Du Nord. So it's a complicated question.

On the one hand, to take RER + Thalys is cheaper.

On the other hand, there's a risk of troubles on RER (which often happens, I take it every day to go to university), so the TGV Charles de Gaulle - Bruxelles is the safest way, but more expensive.

Edit : when I say troubles, I'm talking about slow down (no danger or that kind of stuff)

Well thank you so much. I'll take the rer+thalys option.

Very upset with the belgian acts addition : no band from wallonia, only electronic/pop bands (with the same musician (Bazart/Warhola - Warhaus and Bernhardt play together when they formed Balthazar, Vuurwerk collaborated with Oscar and the wolf and that's the reason he makes an awful album after his beautiful first record...), and where are the really rock bands? Like Ghinzu, deus, admiral freebee, black box revelation, brns, evil black stars, tommigun, amatorski,... no, we have 6 flemish bands who play exactly the same kind of music. It's not interesting at all and absolutly not enough diversified for me.

19 minutes ago, BlockRockinBeats said:

Jay Z headlining V. The only reason for anyone to go to that sorry excuse for a festival. 

Any chance for RW? 

no

Like yourself I have V on my doorstep, im even closer only a 5 minute drive from there. It used to be a decent festval, sadly it has gone the more pop direction.

5 hours ago, Mar2190 said:

Just saw that Against Me have been added to Roskide weekend before.

Roskilde is the same weekend as RW. The festival it self starts Saturday, yes, but the music starts on Wednesday. :)

Against Me is therefore very likely for RW too.