Weber BBQ

gary1979666

Hi All

We're considering getting a new BBQ and have seen a couple of friends name-checking Weber on Facebook.  I had a look online and you can be pay close to £200 for one.  Has anyone got one or used one before?  Do they warrant the price tag?  Normally, I'd go for a £50 one from Tesco and it'd be falling apart after a couple of years, so thought a better one might last better.  Just want to see if people would recommend them or are they just overpriced tut.

Cheers!

I've a Weber Smoker. Cooks the best food you'll ever have. 

They're a solid brand, very pricey mind you.

I have an Outback BBQ too which you may find on sale somewhere. I'm more of a gas BBQ man due to convenience. If you want that (not very noticeable imo) authentic taste, you can always burn a few pieces of charcoal and chuck them on the grill with the lid down for the last few minutes. Or throw on a few bits of smouldering wood.

Do not ever get a gas BBQ.................waste of time, money and utterly pointless IMO

As above, strongly disagree! If there are people coming and going throughout the day, a charcoal BBQ is a pain in the arse. Theres been loads of blind tastings done and people can't tell the difference.

There isn't a big difference unless your charcoal grill has a shitload of smoke coming off it, which few do. The difference is wood. So a gas BBQ with a bit of smoking wood chucked in for a few minutes makes it.

Or, you could use liquid smoke in your marinade/BBQ sauce.

Edited by The Nal

As above, strongly disagree! If there are people coming and going throughout the day, a charcoal BBQ is a pain in the arse.

Its all about the taste for me or ya might as well cook it in yer kitchen. I very much notice a difference personally. I get the convenience of gas, but there are ways to cope with BBQing on charcoal for long periods to make it less painful and Id be happy to cope with a bit more inconvenience as long as the meat tastes right

Its all about the taste for me or ya might as well cook it in yer kitchen. I very much notice a difference personally. I get the convenience of gas, but there are ways to cope with BBQing on charcoal for long periods to make it less painful and Id be happy to cope with a bit more inconvenience as long as the meat tastes right

Not sure if thats a placebo sort of effect to be honest. There isn't much of a difference. If any. Both create heat to cook the food. Thats all. By the time charcoal burns there isn't a lot of flavour left in it. Theres a little bit, granted.

A gas BBQ can create just as much flavour by burning the meat drippings and creating smoke from that. Flavour also comes from the grate being heated (by gas or charcoal), charring it. Like a griddle pan does.

A gas BBQ with a bit of wood lobbed in at the end will flavour the meat better than any pure charcoal BBQ. I usually cook a lot of it in the oven (not red meat obv) and then finish it off on the gas BBQ to get the BBQ taste. Exact same results had I have cooked it all the way through on the BBQ.

Anyway, those kettle BBQs are great if you're cooking a few burgers and sausages but if you're cooking anything bigger or feeding over 5 people you'll struggle.

Edited by The Nal

Not sure if thats a placebo sort of effect to be honest............................

Its the effect of growing up with a butcher as a Father. If youre in anyway right its simply parent brainwashing, but Id swear by it. I always felt it was the dripping juices from the meat onto the coals that releases steam and smoke onto the meat and thats why the flavour infuses better..................

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Its the effect of growing up with a butcher as a Father. If youre in anyway right its simply parent brainwashing, but Id swear by it. I always felt it was the dripping juices from the meat onto the coals that releases steam and smoke onto the meat and thats why the flavour infuses better..................

I suppose its like wine. The best variety is the variety you like!

When I say a gas bbq I include lava rock charcoal in that by the way. The gas only bbqs are a complete waste of time yep.

The gas only bbqs are a complete waste of time yep.

I personally dont even call them BBQs.............outdoor cookers they are

Im the guy who as soon as the flames die and the smoke begins to rise is chucking on the cut meats. Mmmmmmmm Getting hungry. May get away with a BBQ this eve for dinner............

I actually bought a weber last Saturday from B&Q, I went for the big one (they do 2 sizes in the coal ones) I have a suspicion they are not the same as the ones they sell in the states (or on amazon), I paid £90 ish, plus bought loads of the accessories etc, and a cover. the build quality seems good, and i have used it twice, I have been using gas for quite a while so it is taking a bit of time adjusting to using charcoal. 

I'm happy with it, and have a feeling it should last some years.

I will reserve judgement on how well it actually performs, because there are so many variables that define how well a bbq performs, such as meat quality, and the talent of the cook, a good bbq will not make shit food or a bad cook any better. it does what I want well.

Thats the dream. Difficult to justify living in Dublin though with the 2 days BBQ weather we get a year.

But yeah, this.

Outdoor-Kitchen-With-Grill-And-Woodfire-

I see size really does matter with you.

I have seen some prefabricated ones but I could not justify the cost. The one I envisage that Hugh Furnley Whittless guy made in his yard.

Like on here.

https://www.rivercottage.net/cookery-courses/gardening-and-outside/build-and-bake

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

Charcoal or Gas + lava rocks can result in food of equal taste and quality.  There is absolutely no denying though that Gas is more convenient, gives you more control and gives you more options over Charcaol based BBQs.

Yeah, I cooked a leg of lamb at a friend's BBQ, using part of their massive gas range thingy. Wrapped in foil, it came out beautifully. And definitely had a smoky vibe you just don't get in an oven.

That said, I deny gas is always more convenient.

Yes it very handy for the home, but going "away" it's a hell of a lot easier to take a barrel portable and a few bricks rather than lug the mainframe.

41DFIhj9x0L._SY355_.jpg

I love my Kingfisher Barrel me.

We upgraded to a Weber one from superstore own brands this year, the difference has been huge tbh. Thicker gauge metal everywhere and little well thought out bits.

The difference just in how well the lighting chimney thing works is astonishing and I have not ended up feeling at all bad about the extra cost.

The one-touch thing isn't worth the money though, easy enough to open the vents and put something underneath to catch bits then lean it from side to side a few times.

I find BBQ sausages to be pretty boring TBH and a waste of precious BBQ time. With all the meat in a casing it does not get exposed to absorb the smoke flavours and to my palate it does not matter if the casing is synthetic or natural gut it still does not absorb enough flavour, if any. As such I dont bother BBQing sausages any more, just lumps of exposed flesh for me.............