Glass in campervan fields?

hulk mike

OK, so having decided I'm too old/grumpy to camp, I've got hold of a 1982 caravan which I'm currently fixing up, however, obviously glass is not allowed in the festival,but as the campervan fields are technically outside the festival, can we get away with 'some' glass there? only reason being is that one of my friends turns 30 on the Thursday, and we have a nice gas powered fridge, so it would be lovely to have something fizzy to celebrate with. We wouldn't be taking it out into the festival, or outside of the caravan/awning for that matter, so from experience in the campervan fields, is this a possibility, or will we be immediately cast out?! (if so I'll happily produce a can of cider and a cupcake with candle in it!)

We try to be good and avoid the glass - cans rather than bottles, plastic drinking vessels not glasses etc. When we turn up we cheerily tell the stewards: "no glass" before they've even asked, and we've always been waved through. They've never even bothered to search. But there will always be a first time.

OK, so having decided I'm too old/grumpy to camp, I've got hold of a 1982 caravan which I'm currently fixing up, however, obviously glass is not allowed in the festival,but as the campervan fields are technically outside the festival, can we get away with 'some' glass there? only reason being is that one of my friends turns 30 on the Thursday, and we have a nice gas powered fridge, so it would be lovely to have something fizzy to celebrate with. We wouldn't be taking it out into the festival, or outside of the caravan/awning for that matter, so from experience in the campervan fields, is this a possibility, or will we be immediately cast out?! (if so I'll happily produce a can of cider and a cupcake with candle in it!)

Currently too poor for campervans, but I used to hire one for the weekend, and they are full of drinking glasses and pots and whatnot - the sort of thing you'd expect a self catering hire van to come with. It was searched as well, and they were there for anyone to see. However, the stewards were all friendly and reasonable and didn't take issue with any of it. For practical reasons, there is simply not time to search for a single bottle of bubbly discreetly tucked into the suitcase, so in practice you'd be fine.

agree with both comments above... stewards on the gate have taken a look in the van on occasion and i have seen glass confiscated.. will confess to having a celebration bottle of Fizz for Tuesday night (in the van) last year, which we took home to dispose of... It is totally understandable why their is a ban though, so be prepared to lose it.

If you're caught with a bottle, you'll have to empty it, I saw that happen last year. I've found the stewards to be fine with stuff that obviously stays on the van, like crockery, and we have wine glasses too. However, if you stash it somewhere and leave your 'compliant' booze on show, you should be fine, then bob it back in the fridge when setting up.

Same as above - no glass bottles allowed. Most years we've been waived through but last year they checked in the cupboards - we'd already decanted everything so no hassle. There was a pile of confiscated goods by the side of the checkpoint - including bottles of balsamic vinegar, which for some reason made me giggle.....

Same as above - no glass bottles allowed. Most years we've been waived through but last year they checked in the cupboards - we'd already decanted everything so no hassle. There was a pile of confiscated goods by the side of the checkpoint - including bottles of balsamic vinegar, which for some reason made me giggle.....

yeah, i sometimes turn to balsamic vinegar when the vodka supplies run low.. :ph34r:

A guy I went with forgot about the no glass rule. Stayed in a camper, got searched on the way in and he had bought all of.his lager for the week.in bottles... Got it all took of.of him understandably. But security were awesome, they kept it all for.him and let him go to their office each day and decant a load into plastic bottles for.him to keep

I'd say hide your two or three bottles of champers well and take them in. Pour the bubbly in the van and don't throw the bottles in the campsite bins but take them home with you. Job done and no cows got hurt. Just be sensible. Champagne bottles don't break easily so the cows will be fine. My caravan got a decent search last year - I think. I didn't go in with them and let them do what they wanted to do - I had had no glass bottles.

But we helped a seriously stoned and lost guy back to his rented motorhome one night and he insisted on giving us a drink. They had about 30 litres of vodka in there ALL in glass bottles. How security didn't see those I'll never know - as they were just in the motorhome's top cupboards!

In 2011 (I think) our campervan was fairly thoroughly searched on the way in. Looked in all cupboards/storage spaces etc. I very much got the impression that the only thing they were looking for was glass (ie. nothing smaller). We didn't have any so I don't know what they would have done if they'd found any.