Hop Farm Festival 2014

Guest sisco

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There, you see, I was sort of right - I just had a feeling that if they only had one artist to announce it would be a good one - not that Brian Wilson is really mything ...

I'm very confused. I wandered in to this topic because I live in East Sussex, with family in Tonbridge. I'm at Glastonbury girl really but due to how close Hop Farm is/was, I've always wanted to try working there. I wanted to work there last year but sadly discovered it wasn't on.

Now there are two festivals? I'm trying to understand the difference between them, but if I was to work at either, which would it be? I remember looking in 2012 at working there, there is a lot of paid work. I couldn't do it until this year due to working at weekends already, but I finally can now.

Can someone spell it out to me in the simplest of terms, without forgetting that I've never been to the Hop Farm Festival or done any research other than working there, in to it. I just want to get that festival work experience.

The Hop Farm Festival that has announced Brian Wilson is a festival organised by a new promoter taking place on Paddock Wood, the site of the original Hop Farm Festival. However, the original promoter is planning to hold a festival on an as-yet unconfirmed site near Tunbridge Wells, also calling it The Hop Farm Festival.

This is going to get so confusing; I can actually envisage people buying tickets for Vince's festival (if it happens) and turning up at Paddock Wood

Edited by rawaudioinput

The Hop Farm Festival that has announced Brian Wilson is a festival organised by a new promoter taking place on Paddock Wood, the site of the original Hop Farm Festival. However, the original promoter is planning to hold a festival on an as-yet unconfirmed site near Tunbridge Wells, also calling it The Hop Farm Festival.

This is going to get so confusing; I can actually envisage people buying tickets for Vince's festival (if it happens) and turning up at Paddock Wood

Thanks, that helps a bit.

I can't understand why they both want to keep the name.. Surely if he's moving to a different site, the "Hop Farm Festival" name isn't appropriate anymore? Although I don't think the new event promotors should keep the old name.

The old promoter wants to keep the brand and the customer base that they built at Hop Farm whilst the new promoter wants to maintain the customer base that was built by the other promoter to ensure that the festival goes ahead successfully; although Vince should be entitled to use the name of his festival the owners of site should also be entitled to use the name of their site, really I think Vince should back down as soon as possible so he can get to work with establishing a new brand

And if he decides to plan the festival on the same weekend as the other Hop Farm he is a right moron

Edited by rawaudioinput

I'm very confused. I wandered in to this topic because I live in East Sussex, with family in Tonbridge. I'm at Glastonbury girl really but due to how close Hop Farm is/was, I've always wanted to try working there. I wanted to work there last year but sadly discovered it wasn't on.

Now there are two festivals? I'm trying to understand the difference between them, but if I was to work at either, which would it be? I remember looking in 2012 at working there, there is a lot of paid work. I couldn't do it until this year due to working at weekends already, but I finally can now.

Can someone spell it out to me in the simplest of terms, without forgetting that I've never been to the Hop Farm Festival or done any research other than working there, in to it. I just want to get that festival work experience.

well I have worked at Hop Farm in previous years { when the Promoter was Vince } but that was with the WBC { who had the beer concession }
You need to understand that if you want to be paid then you face far longer shifts than you would if you were a Volunteer.
its not uncommon for paid employees to have 12 hour shifts { with very limited breaks } so it does not allow you much time to see any bands.
Most Volunteers will do a 4 to 6 hour shift so they do have the opportunity to see some bands.
but its all up in the air just now.
Note ' the Hop Farm Festival site ' has a very basic Crew area - a couple of toilets if you are lucky. its not a festival I would pick as my first festival working experience.

I think Vince should back down as soon as possible so he can get to work with establishing a new brand

And if he decides to plan the festival on the same weekend as the other Hop Farm he is a right moron

I am not so sure, it did seem silly at first but you can understand it from Vince's point of view. It's already a brand that's not doing the best that it could in previous years for various but it's still brand a fair number of people who actually went...really enjoyed. There's something to build upon there.

Otherwise his going to end up with a number of his previous customers going to what could be a major rival just because its in the same location.

It's confusing but at least this way, his making a big deal about the orginal Hop Farm being moved.

well I have worked at Hop Farm in previous years { when the Promoter was Vince } but that was with the WBC { who had the beer concession }
You need to understand that if you want to be paid then you face far longer shifts than you would if you were a Volunteer.
its not uncommon for paid employees to have 12 hour shifts { with very limited breaks } so it does not allow you much time to see any bands.
Most Volunteers will do a 4 to 6 hour shift so they do have the opportunity to see some bands.
but its all up in the air just now.
Note ' the Hop Farm Festival site ' has a very basic Crew area - a couple of toilets if you are lucky. its not a festival I would pick as my first festival working experience.

Interesting. Thank you.

I'm interested in doing events work once I leave uni, this was just going to be another eye opener of some kind.. Which may sound odd but I'm doing a lot of work experience at the moment for large but local events, which have me involved in the planning. I wanted to do this as a kind of.. volunteer that can see some behind the scenes stuff.

Interesting. Thank you.

I'm interested in doing events work once I leave uni, this was just going to be another eye opener of some kind.. Which may sound odd but I'm doing a lot of work experience at the moment for large but local events, which have me involved in the planning. I wanted to do this as a kind of.. volunteer that can see some behind the scenes stuff.

I know that Festival Republic { used to be called the Mean Fiddler which was owned by Vince } which is now owned my Melvin Benn { I have knowing him for twenty odd years } http://www.festivalrepublic.com/about-us/
was offering a few ' internships ' last year { and possibly 2012 } - I don't know if they are repeating the process this year but its worth asking them if they are - I met a few of them at Latitude in the guest area as Festival Republic was holding a party and I had a invite - I know they were working in the office before the event and some were working at the event for FR .
Good luck

I know that Festival Republic { used to be called the Mean Fiddler which was owned by Vince } which is now owned my Melvin Benn { I have knowing him for twenty odd years } http://www.festivalrepublic.com/about-us/
was offering a few ' internships ' last year { and possibly 2012 } - I don't know if they are repeating the process this year but its worth asking them if they are - I met a few of them at Latitude in the guest area as Festival Republic was holding a party and I had a invite - I know they were working in the office before the event and some were working at the event for FR .
Good luck

Wow, that's an incredible opportunity. Thank you ever so much, I shall take a look in to it!

As I'm sure plenty of people do, I dream of one day running a small scale festival in the local area, with local bands and a couple of bigger names (although nothing like the festivals that are often spoken about on these forums. A lot more low key!). I have plenty of ideas that embrace the local talent, interest and people, but it's a dream that may never happen.. we'll see!

Wow, that's an incredible opportunity. Thank you ever so much, I shall take a look in to it!

As I'm sure plenty of people do, I dream of one day running a small scale festival in the local area, with local bands and a couple of bigger names (although nothing like the festivals that are often spoken about on these forums. A lot more low key!). I have plenty of ideas that embrace the local talent, interest and people, but it's a dream that may never happen.. we'll see!

I cant recall all the details because even although I know Melvin I am the same age as him so I know the interships were meant for young people .
I heard about it from his right hand female who controls Latitude.
Get involved at Reading & Leeds 2012
We will be offering two 12–month apprenticeships (one for Reading Festival and one for Leeds Festival), as well as ten internship placements of up to 3 weeks to give fans an opportunity to get involved in all aspects of producing the UK’s Number 1 festival, with placements created in various departments within Festival Republic such as: Production; Artist Liaison; Sponsorship; PR; Marketing; Digital/ Social Media; Ticketing; Sustainability; On site at Reading; On site at Leeds, and also with associated companies such as Scream PR (broadcast PR agency for the festival), Hall or Nothing (print and online PR agency for the festival).
but I do know they did the same for Latitude - part of it was mentioned here
I have no idea if they plan to do it this year as I will not run into them until the season starts but it costs nothing to ask.

I cant recall all the details because even although I know Melvin I am the same age as him so I know the interships were meant for young people .
I heard about it from his right hand female who controls Latitude.
Get involved at Reading & Leeds 2012
We will be offering two 12–month apprenticeships (one for Reading Festival and one for Leeds Festival), as well as ten internship placements of up to 3 weeks to give fans an opportunity to get involved in all aspects of producing the UK’s Number 1 festival, with placements created in various departments within Festival Republic such as: Production; Artist Liaison; Sponsorship; PR; Marketing; Digital/ Social Media; Ticketing; Sustainability; On site at Reading; On site at Leeds, and also with associated companies such as Scream PR (broadcast PR agency for the festival), Hall or Nothing (print and online PR agency for the festival).
but I do know they did the same for Latitude - part of it was mentioned here
I have no idea if they plan to do it this year as I will not run into them until the season starts but it costs nothing to ask.

I emailed them about an hour ago and already have a reply. It looks a bit automated, so it didn't answer my questions. It explains the year long apprenticeships and says there are no full time or part time vacancies at the moment. I asked about internships though.. so not sure what to do now.

That being said, it did kind of answer my question about requirements. I asked what requirements are needed to apply for an internship. The email said you have to be 18-23 and out of school to apply for an apprenticeship.. So I'd assume the same for an internship. However I actually meant qualifications etc.

I emailed them about an hour ago and already have a reply. It looks a bit automated, so it didn't answer my questions. It explains the year long apprenticeships and says there are no full time or part time vacancies at the moment. I asked about internships though.. so not sure what to do now.

That being said, it did kind of answer my question about requirements. I asked what requirements are needed to apply for an internship. The email said you have to be 18-23 and out of school to apply for an apprenticeship.. So I'd assume the same for an internship. However I actually meant qualifications etc.

Be smart - take things at one step at a time - apply for Latitude http://www.latitudefestival.com/information/volunteer
click ' CATS, HATS AND PIXIES '
even although its not a internship/apprenticeship you will have access to the current FR ' full time staff ' and you will soon work out who is who - its a lot easier getting information once your in the inside so even if they are not doing it this year they may have plans to do it next year.
All the Crews camp in the same area and all the FR staff camp together and eat together - you have the whole weekend to ask about
look out for Melvin and the people who hang about with him - you want to speak to his full time staff and they will be bloody close to him all weekend.

Be smart - take things at one step at a time - apply for Latitude http://www.latitudefestival.com/information/volunteer
click ' CATS, HATS AND PIXIES '
even although its not a internship/apprenticeship you will have access to the current FR ' full time staff ' and you will soon work out who is who - its a lot easier getting information once your in the inside so even if they are not doing it this year they may have plans to do it next year.
All the Crews camp in the same area and all the FR staff camp together and eat together - you have the whole weekend to ask about
look out for Melvin and the people who hang about with him - you want to speak to his full time staff and they will be bloody close to him all weekend.

Wow, thanks!

Latitude wouldn't be impossible. I'm weighing up my options at the moment so I'll look in to it!

I'm looking for a career now, but I obviously need to start at the bottom. If its paid then it gets me going but I'm prepared to do some voluntary stuff first, just like I am now.

Wow, thanks!

Latitude wouldn't be impossible. I'm weighing up my options at the moment so I'll look in to it!

I'm looking for a career now, but I obviously need to start at the bottom. If its paid then it gets me going but I'm prepared to do some voluntary stuff first, just like I am now.

well its who you know that counts and what experience you have so even although many internship/apprenticeship's will be unpaid ' it all looks good on your CV ' - its a Buyers market and you need to get a foot in the door as full time staff all come from the same pot.
I have worked for Mean Fiddler in the back office and there is a lot to learn but each promoter will run in a similar fashion so experience is vital.

well its who you know that counts and what experience you have so even although many internship/apprenticeship's will be unpaid ' it all looks good on your CV ' - its a Buyers market and you need to get a foot in the door as full time staff all come from the same pot.
I have worked for Mean Fiddler in the back office and there is a lot to learn but each promoter will run in a similar fashion so experience is vital.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm getting myself known with a few events managers in the area, but I don't think it's enough. Need to go further with it.