Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

Aye but those involved with Torchwood have a reason to be there. It would be silly to think that the regeneration of the doctor wouldn't ever meet torchwood again.

True, but it would be a mistake to bring him back so soon. Let Moffatt stamp his own authority on the scripts - Torchwood is very definitely a RTD thing, and I would hope Jack and the Doctor have a break from each other for a while.

The show badly needs a fresh start - Saturday was very promising for that very reason. The Doctor doesn't need Jack, and after the last events of Torchwood, I'd say the same was true the other way round as well.

I think Moffatt has his own ideas for the show, and I hope that involves new story arcs, new characters, new villains and dispensing with a formula of bringing back the likes of Rose, Martha and Jack every single year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is time to move forward and stop bringing old characters back. (However much I like them) However I think Jack is an important part of Torchwood away from Doctor Who and is the one character that I think it would be ok to bring back when Torchwood is used.

Why is Dr Who always white as well?? Don't get me started on his lack of gayness. What we need is a big black gay Doctor Who that spends all of his time buggering his new assistant, Christopher Eccleston. "Bend over Chris I am going to take you in the TURDIS" Now that would be a novel idea...

I think it is just because the person who has given the best audition has happened to be white. Nothing more sinister than that.

Why is Dr Who always white as well?? Don't get me started on his lack of gayness. What we need is a big black gay Doctor Who that spends all of his time buggering his new assistant, Christopher Eccleston. "Bend over Chris I am going to take you in the TURDIS" Now that would be a novel idea...

There are some darker skinned Time Lords, I believe. But maybe when they regenerate, they regenerate into a new black person? WHO KNOWS?!

Why is Dr Who always white as well??

Because he's a white, male, straight character? That is a massive part of his identity, the anchor, I hope they don't mess with that to be honest. Seriously, if they ever bring in a black, gay, female, wheelchair-bound or downs-syndrome Doc just for political correctness (and that is the only reason they'd do it) I'll be switching off. It'll just feel like they're dicking around with something that doesn't need it, purely because of a lack of imagination.

I really liked the Comic Relief episode Time Crash where The Doc alludes to having some form of subconsious control over what form he takes when he says something along the lines of "I was always trying to be old and serious when I first started". I liked that, it gave the impression that his face and body reflect who he is in terms of his mental state, but his deep-rooted identity remains the same. It's like he's a man aging in reverse, or regressing. The Master seems to be doing the same thing.

I wonder what they're gonna do for the 14th Doc. He's supposed to properly die at the end of his thirteenth life cycle isn't he?

I keep thinking they'll do something like a role-reversal with the Master, because The Master has cheated his proper, final death several times and is alive and kicking. If Doctor Who ever reaches a point where a 14th Doctor is on the cards, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

From what I understand, The Master cheated his proper final death after he was given a whole new bunch of life cycles in one of the older episodes by a group of Doctors old and present in exchange for his help. But how much of that still counts now since The Master properly died in The Doctor's arms and didn't regenerate, but was instead later ressurrected? Has the fact he has been reborn in a new body now mean he has "reset" his regenerations, or does his resurrection count as a forced regeneration post-death (which would explain his slightly messed up nature) and therefore he has the same left as he always did, minus one. I missed that episode - did they bring him back by forcefully causing him to regenerate while dead, or did they clone him or what?

Also, am I correct in believing that if the Doctor reaches his final 13th form, he'll turn into a hideous walking-corpse Emperor Palpatine-esque form like the Master sufferred? Is the walking-corpse thing something that happens to all of the Time Lords at the end of their life? Them's the rules right?

Edited by Purple Monkey

Pogo...is it Captain Jack you want to see again or just John Barrowman? Cos he is going to be in Desperate Housewives sometime soon if that helps your situation?

Pogo...is it Captain Jack you want to see again or just John Barrowman? Cos he is going to be in Desperate Housewives sometime soon if that helps your situation?

john barrowman is my hero! i hope they've got him being the sexy scottish butcher or something.

Because he's a white, male, straight character? That is a massive part of his identity, the anchor, I hope they don't mess with that to be honest. Seriously, if they ever bring in a black, gay, female, wheelchair-bound or downs-syndrome Doc just for political correctness (and that is the only reason they'd do it) I'll be switching off. It'll just feel like they're dicking around with something that doesn't need it, purely because of a lack of imagination.

I think Paterson Joseph would have made a great Doctor. Colour of skin doesn't come into it.

I wonder what they're gonna do for the 14th Doc. He's supposed to properly die at the end of his thirteenth life cycle isn't he?

I keep thinking they'll do something like a role-reversal with the Master, because The Master has cheated his proper, final death several times and is alive and kicking. If Doctor Who ever reaches a point where a 14th Doctor is on the cards, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

From what I understand, The Master cheated his proper final death after he was given a whole new bunch of life cycles in one of the older episodes by a group of Doctors old and present in exchange for his help. But how much of that still counts now since The Master properly died in The Doctor's arms and didn't regenerate, but was instead later ressurrected? Has the fact he has been reborn in a new body now mean he has "reset" his regenerations, or does his resurrection count as a forced regeneration post-death (which would explain his slightly messed up nature) and therefore he has the same left as he always did, minus one. I missed that episode - did they bring him back by forcefully causing him to regenerate while dead, or did they clone him or what?

Also, am I correct in believing that if the Doctor reaches his final 13th form, he'll turn into a hideous walking-corpse Emperor Palpatine-esque form like the Master sufferred? Is the walking-corpse thing something that happens to all of the Time Lords at the end of their life? Them's the rules right?

Right, I think it's all a bit unclear and open to interpretation, but in the old series it was laid down that Time Lords get 12 regenerations, and hence there could only ever be 13 Doctors. When Roger Delgado (the first on-screen Master) died they had to scrap storylines involving the Master, and only brought him back in when Tom Baker was the Doctor - he came back as a decaying, twisted almost-corpse, and I think it was something to do with being at the end of his life and trying to cheat death (so not necessarily something that happens to all Time Lords). Just before the end of Tom Baker's time, the Master re-appeared as Anthony Ainley, after the crusty old version of the Master somehow took over the body of a bloke called Tremas (the anagramatic names really were bobbins in those days) on Traken. So, the Master now had a new body but not a Time Lord one, and not with any more regenerations, although he was offered a whole new cycle of 12 in the Five Doctors - apparently he didn't get them. He seemed to have died a few times, notably in Peter Davison's penultimate adventure where the Master was last seen miniaturised and burning in some eternal flame thing, but always came back - never with any real explanation of how. Further on, in Trial of a Time Lord (Colin Baker's Doctor) the Master pops up in the Matrix (pre the Wachowski films) which is the repository of all Time Lord knowledge, and effectively the resting place of the spirits of dead Time Lords. The battle at the time was between the Doctor and the Valeyard, who turned out to be a potential future incarnation of the Doctor somewhere between his eleventh and twelth regenerations trying to take back all of the Doctor's previous regenerations in order to live them again. In the last episode of the old series, Survival, the Master is turning into some kind of cat-like being and is last seen on a dying planet - some hint about him having some kind of animal-form-shifting power. The next time the Master pops up is in the 1990s TV movie, where he's been exterminated by the Daleks and somehow turned into a snakey thing (which reminded me of Kinda) that takes over another body, which ends up being sucked into the Tardis' engines/link to the Eye of Harmony. Run on to the new series, and I think it's said when he comes back that the Time Lords resurrected him and gave him a new body and limited regenerations so he could fight in the time war.

So, it seems the Time Lords have some kind of control over the regeneration process and can give a new cycle if they want. This seems to indicate the limit of 12 can change, or in the case of the Doctor as the last of the Time Lords perhaps there is no longer a limit as there aren't any Time Lords to control it.

As for what he looks like after he regenerates, it was hinted in the old series that most Time Lords can control the process. When Romana regenerated from Mary Tamm to Lalla Ward I think it went that she tried on a few forms before settling on what she wanted to look like - and she said that the Doctor never paid attention at the academy so hadn't learned how to regenerate properly. She also said he was crap at flying the Tardis.

I think Paterson Joseph would have made a great Doctor. Colour of skin doesn't come into it.

Right, I think it's all a bit unclear and open to interpretation, but in the old series it was laid down that Time Lords get 12 regenerations, and hence there could only ever be 13 Doctors. When Roger Delgado (the first on-screen Master) died they had to scrap storylines involving the Master, and only brought him back in when Tom Baker was the Doctor - he came back as a decaying, twisted almost-corpse, and I think it was something to do with being at the end of his life and trying to cheat death (so not necessarily something that happens to all Time Lords). Just before the end of Tom Baker's time, the Master re-appeared as Anthony Ainley, after the crusty old version of the Master somehow took over the body of a bloke called Tremas (the anagramatic names really were bobbins in those days) on Traken. So, the Master now had a new body but not a Time Lord one, and not with any more regenerations, although he was offered a whole new cycle of 12 in the Five Doctors - apparently he didn't get them. He seemed to have died a few times, notably in Peter Davison's penultimate adventure where the Master was last seen miniaturised and burning in some eternal flame thing, but always came back - never with any real explanation of how. Further on, in Trial of a Time Lord (Colin Baker's Doctor) the Master pops up in the Matrix (pre the Wachowski films) which is the repository of all Time Lord knowledge, and effectively the resting place of the spirits of dead Time Lords. The battle at the time was between the Doctor and the Valeyard, who turned out to be a potential future incarnation of the Doctor somewhere between his eleventh and twelth regenerations trying to take back all of the Doctor's previous regenerations in order to live them again. In the last episode of the old series, Survival, the Master is turning into some kind of cat-like being and is last seen on a dying planet - some hint about him having some kind of animal-form-shifting power. The next time the Master pops up is in the 1990s TV movie, where he's been exterminated by the Daleks and somehow turned into a snakey thing (which reminded me of Kinda) that takes over another body, which ends up being sucked into the Tardis' engines/link to the Eye of Harmony. Run on to the new series, and I think it's said when he comes back that the Time Lords resurrected him and gave him a new body and limited regenerations so he could fight in the time war.

So, it seems the Time Lords have some kind of control over the regeneration process and can give a new cycle if they want. This seems to indicate the limit of 12 can change, or in the case of the Doctor as the last of the Time Lords perhaps there is no longer a limit as there aren't any Time Lords to control it.

As for what he looks like after he regenerates, it was hinted in the old series that most Time Lords can control the process. When Romana regenerated from Mary Tamm to Lalla Ward I think it went that she tried on a few forms before settling on what she wanted to look like - and she said that the Doctor never paid attention at the academy so hadn't learned how to regenerate properly. She also said he was crap at flying the Tardis.

I f**king love Radish. And I think I just heard a certain lady's knicker elastic just go twang. Man, it's gonna be wetter than niagra falls down there.

I f**king love Radish. And I think I just heard a certain lady's knicker elastic just go twang. Man, it's gonna be wetter than niagra falls down there.

The guy is a legend.

Is the Langdale Wolf up for a bit of being debagged and radished?

:P:P:P

I'd rather just talk about Dr Who to be honest.

Oh poor form.

Blackadder III, Amy and Amiability.

Such a disappointment for a girl.

"Oh Amy, Amy, Amy.... I will never forget you. Never, ever, ever, ever......

Right - what's for breakfast?"

Spaceship with eyeball :P big space whale :P ooohhh look and next week the Darleks AGAIN :P

I wouldn't bother watching it again if I were you mate - you don't sound very enthusiastic about it! :lol:

Barrowman, the guys actualy the man! But Capt Jack was one of the best characters of the newer serieses of Dr Who as well.

I stopped watching Desperate Housewives by accident in season 3, so I kinda want to go on a marathon and catch up with it. Longer I leave it the harder it'll be though.

The newest Dr Who episode is a beast!

Seems 'the crack' will be an repeating occurance...

yep, the cracks are following the doctor around.

i don't think they needed to zoom into the crack in the spaceship though, we spotted it, no need to point it out like that. it would be better if they just did it subtly like with 'bad wolf' in chris ecclestone's series.