tinygreendragon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit soon for the Daleks to come back?

Cybermen after that as well I presume.

Next weeks looks brilliant.

Anyway this weeks - another absolute corker I thought, Karen Gillan stole the show this time. Really good to see how she manages to get the Doctor's trust in such a great way. Really enjoyed Sophie Okonedo's character too.

Another great Scotland-based line as well. :P

That was another good episode although it went a bit strange for a bit. I like Moffat's style but in parts the episodes so far have a wee sticking point in places that I cant quite put my finger on yet. Its like the ball is rolling and then gets caught up on something but then after a while releases itself and carries on its way. Strange analogy, I cant figure out what the problem is as such but as episodes pass and different writers get a go, it's going to be an interesting 11 more weeks. :P

Still finding its feet and a nice change from the DT years. Am certainly liking the hints/air of earlier Doctor shows too. Matt Smith looked like the 27 year old he is though in places though but am loving his different approach eg. the jumping out of that bench move. Personally I want him to be even quirkier.

im watching it now so ill give my review soon!

oh my god is the Demon Headmaster in the second episode??? can anyone else remember that programme?? the headmaster bloke terrified me!!

oh my god is the Demon Headmaster in the second episode??? can anyone else remember that programme?? the headmaster bloke terrified me!!

Shame they didnt do enough with him...or a lot of other elements in that episode. Almost put my finger on what's nagging me... :P

I know I have to watch that episode again because either I missed the part where it was toally explained who or what the police state faces were about...cos I got lost with the 300 and not 50 year old Liz 10...all got very muddled and too much lingering on shots of the lovely Amy instead of getting to grips with the plot a bit more. I'll watch it again soon...I hope it doesnt niggle still.

Where's LW or Radish? :P

Edited by LusciousLucy

Shame they didnt do enough with him...or a lot of other elements in that episode. Almost put my finger on what's nagging me... :P

I know I have to watch that episode again because either I missed the part where it was toally explained who or what the police state faces were about...cos I got lost with the 300 and not 50 year old Liz 10...all got very muddled and too much lingering on shots of the lovely Amy instead of getting to grips with the plot a bit more. I'll watch it again soon...I hope it doesnt niggle still.

Where's LW or Radish? :P

Sorry - what are you confused with?

I really enjoyed both episodes, first one was better, love Amy, way better than strident Donna, or overrated Rose.

I did think this last episode ended a bit lamely though, could have been written by an American, or a hippy.

I really like the new doctor as well, got a very squishy face that moves around a lot. Mobile I think you might say, and liked the small bow tie adjustment just before the puking scene, quite Bondesque.

Edited by Josie's Cat

Spaceship with eyeball :P big space whale :P ooohhh look and next week the Darleks AGAIN :P

Maybe they will reveal that the dalek is in fact the eleventh cylon.

But seriously, do you watch it just so you can moan about it?

Edited by sifimaster

The only thing I didn't like about ep2 was the fact that Amy and the Doctor were all buddy buddy already, and seemed to have already gotten to know each other already. If you think back to the "End of the World" episode (ep 2 of series 1 (27))... the one where the aliens assemble to watch the end of the earth... Rose and Ecclescake are still getting to know each other have have a great little sit down scene where he explains the time war and who he is and all that. It's actually done really well, and help the characters develope a bond. This series you have one episode where they meet, and suddenly they are now friends and know all about each other.

Saturdays episode felt almost like it was shown out of order... like it wasn't meant to be the original second episode but BBC needed a spectacular show (with flashy sfx) to help get some ratings. I'd have liked to see at least one more episode with the doctor and amy still getting to know each other.

You could almost say the same thing about next weeks dalek return... "hey... we've gotta get the daleks on now, we need the ratings". To me it seems too soon to bring them back in, I'd rather have left it at least 5 eps before carting them out. If they don't come out of next weeks story with a win (ie defeat the doctor and re-establish some sort of empire), then it's going to be even harder and more unbelieveable to bring them back next time.

I'd like to say that I can imagine the Demon Headmaster will be some sort of recurring character, like a series hook (ala bad wolf, torchwood, yana and the crack), but the way the crack was sign posted at the end with the dolly cam zoom, can't see it happening.

I like the way next weeks episodes was teased into this weeks though with the phone call... that was pretty neat.

I think it's probably not a bad thing that they've got a dalek episode fairly early on, especially if it's a stand-alone Dalek story - kinda gets rid of the elephant that's standing in the room before starting to do some other things.

Although I agree with some poster - I don't think there needs to be a dalek story in every series. My favourite series - The Key to Time - didn't have any recurring characters in it. Other than K9 I suppose.

The only thing I didn't like about ep2 was the fact that Amy and the Doctor were all buddy buddy already, and seemed to have already gotten to know each other already. If you think back to the "End of the World" episode (ep 2 of series 1 (27))... the one where the aliens assemble to watch the end of the earth... Rose and Ecclescake are still getting to know each other have have a great little sit down scene where he explains the time war and who he is and all that. It's actually done really well, and help the characters develope a bond. This series you have one episode where they meet, and suddenly they are now friends and know all about each other.

Saturdays episode felt almost like it was shown out of order... like it wasn't meant to be the original second episode but BBC needed a spectacular show (with flashy sfx) to help get some ratings. I'd have liked to see at least one more episode with the doctor and amy still getting to know each other.

You could almost say the same thing about next weeks dalek return... "hey... we've gotta get the daleks on now, we need the ratings". To me it seems too soon to bring them back in, I'd rather have left it at least 5 eps before carting them out. If they don't come out of next weeks story with a win (ie defeat the doctor and re-establish some sort of empire), then it's going to be even harder and more unbelieveable to bring them back next time.

I'd like to say that I can imagine the Demon Headmaster will be some sort of recurring character, like a series hook (ala bad wolf, torchwood, yana and the crack), but the way the crack was sign posted at the end with the dolly cam zoom, can't see it happening.

I like the way next weeks episodes was teased into this weeks though with the phone call... that was pretty neat.

I am actually going to disagree with you about the relationship between the Doctor and Amy moving too quickly. What she did at the end proved her worth - the Doctor was all ready to take her back home after she didn't tell him what she knew, so by daving the day as she did proved to him that she was a worthy companion.

She was very close to being another Adam from series one, but instead did something that not even the Doctor thought about. She probably knows him better than he knows himself, having newly regenerated.

Again, I'm not sure that the daleks are coming back too early either. We'll have to wait and see. That's what dalek episodes have always been like - they will be defeated, but never ultimately. They always find a way back. A lot of people get bored of them, but personally I think they need a 'rebirth' because RTD ruined them with the awful daleks in New York rubbish and the Cult of Skaro daleks. They weren't nasty enough for me. I liked the new Davros though.

Next weeks looks great IMHO.

Liked the episode. Watching it again now.

Was a bit like a BNP version of 1984 crossed with V for Vendetta (the Queen) crossed with the South Park episode where the Japanese say: "F*CK YOU WHALE!!!".

I loved the Peter Pan/Discworld/Star Wars references:

Peter Pan - mentioned in Confidential after the main show - Amy = Wendy, The Doctor = Peter.

Discworld - big creature with world on it's back flying through space

Star Wards - dropping from a corridor through a rubbish chute into a chamber filled with junk COMBINED with being stuck inside the belly of a living creature.

I think Steven Moffat is a bit ace.

Peter Pan - mentioned in Confidential after the main show - Amy = Wendy, The Doctor = Peter.

Star Wards - dropping from a corridor through a rubbish chute into a chamber filled with junk COMBINED with being stuck inside the belly of a living creature.

or that could be construed as nicking ideas.

I can't put my finger what it is but I really really really f**king hate it.

or that could be construed as nicking ideas.

I can't put my finger what it is but I really really really f**king hate it.

Could be. But he's got enough good, original ideas to get away with it.

And I love it. You know where the 'off' button is. :P

I counted at least 3 Star Wars references. The one you mentioned, Liz 10 saying 'You are our only hope' and the shot at the end when Doctor and Amy are stood in front of window with the big space vista...followed by a side shot...VERY end of Empire Strikes Back indeedy! (Also replicated in the Spaced episode when the gang go to rescue/find Marsha :P)

I am sure I spotted something else clever in the episode but cant remember at the moment right now but am planning on watching the episode again in a sec.

And question about the whale...was the star whale the same or in a way similar to the big creature that was being cut up in the warehouse in an early episode of Torchwood 2nd series?

And as for other show/film references I can think of a couple of others:

The Titanic theme briefly used in Starship Titanic.

Hitchhhikers Theme briefly used in the last episode of Series 4 and I think there is another HGTG reference thrown in somewhere else too.

There plenty of others but my brain escapes me now.

Lucy - that's some SERIOUS geekiness there. Impressive... most impressive.

The Torchwood thing was a worm, not a whale, so I don't think there's any connection between them.

Inkeeping with the theme of the thread, I actually won some money on the work sweep stake so I treated myself to the series 4 boxset. Huzzah!!

Lucy - that's some SERIOUS geekiness there. Impressive... most impressive.

The Torchwood thing was a worm, not a whale, so I don't think there's any connection between them.

Inkeeping with the theme of the thread, I actually won some money on the work sweep stake so I treated myself to the series 4 boxset. Huzzah!!

Although you may not accept this...but wiki says the following for 'Meat' Series 2.

Space Whale...3rd paragraph in synopsis.

Ergo..the reason I made the link in my slightly geeky and really need to find a man who I can banter about this shit incessantly like I used to with my very sci fi knowledgeable love of my life but very sadly gone now way. :P

Radish...do you have any idea how a certain mutual friend of ours is these days? Would you kindly send me a PM if you do? Ta verily verily xxx

Edited by LusciousLucy