Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

I always just put this kind of thing down to us (i.e. the viewers) not actually seeing all of the Doctors (or his companions) adventures. It's even directly referenced in the last Tennant episode - when he goes to see the Ood he says something about having done loads of stuff (like doing 'something' with the Virgin Queen). Perhaps between episodes the Doctor and Amy have just been hanging around in the Tardis, trying to find the swimming pool, seeing how well that glass floor works (marvellous), getting to know each other. From memory I think the only time I can remember the Doctor actually sitting down to tell a companion anything about himself on-screen is with Martha at the end of Gridlock.

...And "The End of the World" (Ep 2 of the first new series, with zoe wanamaker as that big old face). Ecclescake sits down with Rose and explains to her (and us) who he is, where he's from, and the time war. A fabulous FABULOUS scene.

We seem to have skipped that equivalent dialogue exchange with Smith and Pond, and I really think we needed it just to gel the pairs relationship. Rose had it, Martha had it, Donna had it twice; but Amy had only really had half of it spread over 15 years or so.

But you're totally right about us only seeing the 'exciting' events in the doctors life. In the "midnight" episode, it's hinted that they're actually on holiday and the only reason we see any of it is because something spooky happens in that train (or whatever it was). Could you imagine an episode of dr who where they go to a planet and admire the view, or they visit an 18th century tea shop and have a nice slice of cake, or arrive at a space station and confirm that it is running efficiently and without problem, or check into a slightly crappy motel and decide to change to the hotel down the road, or land on a space ship travelling at the speed of light but all the crew are in stasis and no aliens have stowed away onboard. :P

(Thinking about it... an episode based around them looking for an adventure, but nothing actually happening could be pretty funny).

EDIT: did the doctor not say at one point that when set to random, the tardis has a fault that takes him to interesting points in time? I vaguely remember something like that. Could have been the 'Up Pompii!' episode.

Edited by Halcyon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to have skipped that equivalent dialogue exchange with Smith and Pond, and I really think we needed it just to gel the pairs relationship. Rose had it, Martha had it, Donna had it twice; but Amy had only really had half of it spread over 15 years or so.

Maybe that's why? Maybe Moffat hasn't sought to do it because it's been done before?

Personally, I think the only 'gap' the Doctor and Amy would have had to do 'other adventures' is between Victory of the Daleks and The Time of Angles.

Eleventh Hour to The Beast Below - Amy is still in her pyjamas in The Best Below, therefore no adventure in between.

The Beast Below to Victory of the Daleks - The Doctor gets the call from Churchill at the end of the Beast Below - therefore no adventure in between.

Therefore the only possible 'gap' is between Victory of the Daleks and The Time of Angels.

But it's not something that particularly bothers me. :P

Therefore the only possible 'gap' is between Victory of the Daleks and The Time of Angels.

but in Time Of Angels amy lists the places they've been so far 'churchill's bunker, a spaceship... you promised me a planet', it sounds like they've done nothing between episodes 3 and 4.

but in Time Of Angels amy lists the places they've been so far 'churchill's bunker, a spaceship... you promised me a planet', it sounds like they've done nothing between episodes 3 and 4.

They might have been on several spaceships. Maybe they went to a spaceship called 'Churchill's Bunker' which is populated by jowelly insurance hounds?

They might have been on several spaceships. Maybe they went to a spaceship called 'Churchill's Bunker' which is populated by jowelly insurance hounds?

i would love that :P

but i doubt it.

i think the real answer is that the audience already knows the doctor's back story, they don't need it shoved down their throats again.

amy's back story is much more interesting...

you're not wrong :P

karen-gillan-amy-pond.jpg

Marvellous.

Without wanting to sound too crude, you'd need a fire crew to pull me out of her.

Personally, I think the only 'gap' the Doctor and Amy would have had to do 'other adventures' is between Victory of the Daleks and The Time of Angles.

Eleventh Hour to The Beast Below - Amy is still in her pyjamas in The Beast Below, therefore no adventure in between.

In the interests of joining in with the way this thread appears to be going, I'll have to say that's criminal if true. Which I doubt it is. Glass floor. Marvellous.

Well...now £6.30 lighter but the proud owner of both the kids and the big kids Doctor Who magazines.

The kids issue came with lots of Dalek stationery goodies :P (Unfortunately very little else contentwise though really which is a shame but I will treasure my plastic folder forever.

The big kids issue came with a fecking ridiculous amount of info, geeky shit and general total awesomeness :P The latest issue reviews Eleventh Hour to within an inch of its existence (all good stuff btw), has a stunning feature on the TARDIS, spoilers and descriptions of the next 3 or 4 episodes and a whole host of interviews. Lacking Weeping Angel adoration which is a shame but heyho...I am mightily impressed by this publication. Never thought to pick it up or have a look before. The letters section almost brings a tear to your eye. There is so much writing in the mag, I reckon its going to take me about 2 days to get through it all and the type is tiny too and still some of the articles are up to 8 pages long!

Am now considering looking into back copies and a subscription.

If you dont already get this...which I guess a lot of you do though, take a look if you can.

Edited by LusciousLucy

Ok I was with it, enjoying it until they switched the gravity off on a spaceship which was on a ....errrhhhh....planet with gravity :P :P How dos that work then?

the ship crashed nose-first and was standing up vertical, so the decks are 90 degrees from 'normal'.

the ship has artificial gravity generators so that all the time the doctor etc. were moving back along the ship (from nose to stern) they were in fact travelling 'up' in relation to the planet.

when the angels drained enough power that the gravity generators couldn't work the effect of the planet's gravity took over and the angels fell back down to the nose.

make sense?

Edited by pezzypops

Isn't this the Doctor thread?!

:P

65.gif

precisely...

There is a big theory on the doctor who forums that

When the Doctor came back to Amy when her eyes were shut in the forest and held her hand, head on her head etc he was in fact Doctor from the future. He didn't have his jacket on when he left, then he did for that one scene, then he didn't again in the next one. Also possibly wearing a different watch? People are linking it to the shadow in 11th hour, and the light being turned on annoying the guard in VOTD. So maybe at some point in the future (finale?) he has to go back and tinker with things?

Also, so River kills the Doctor then???

Thoughts?