Led Zep ... again

Guest Neil

Stories are starting to appear where a "friend" of Led Zep say their world tour will kick off at Glastonbury.

Personally, I doubt there's anything to it, but you never know. However, if Glastonbury want to ensure they don't get over-run 2000-styleee come June, then I think they should put out a statement saying it's bull. This is the sort of rumour that has the possibility to f**k-over the fest. :(

You're well off the mark I think Tony, it's nowt like Macca at all. Just think of the frenzy for tickets for the o2 - it'll be like that, only more so.

Those people would go camping in the arctic in winter to get to see them.

And it's not michael that's put this out there, but a "friend" of LZs. It's out there now, and the frenzy starts here.

Edited by Neil

Could the 'friend' not just be saying this to keep the Led Zep hype going? & hasn't Mr Eavis stated that Led Zep would cost too much?

Neil, can you get on the blower to Mr Eavis for another denial? :(

Michael did indeed say that he didn't have them because they cost too much - but that was at the end of September, and things do change.

I've already contacted GF to tell them that this piece of news from a "friend" is out there and spreading, and suggested that if they don't want this rumour to cause them difficulties it's worth them putting out a denial if it's untrue - the rest is up to them.

I've done this previously, when Michael kept saying that they had Pink Floyd when they in fact had Roger Waters. On that occasion they did put out a statement saying they didn't have Pink Floyd, but that was when (I guess) they had greater concerns about being overrun than they're likely to have now, and it was also at a time much closer to the festival.

i think one thing worth bearing in mind, is that the majority of Zeppelin fans (hope I'm not wrongly generalising here...) would not in a million years bother with camping in a (possibly muddy) field for 3 days just to see Zeppelin. Much as it was with Paul McCartney.

but yea, Michael, just to be on the safe side, keep it quiet... please

It was busy enough when Skunk Anansie headlined ! :(

For F**K's sake its gonna be murder getting across from Big Ground to Jazz World Stage if Zep get a slot.

If they have Foreigner on as well I am gonna be even more f***d off !, aah I am going to be singing

"Cold as Ice " all night know in me head :angry:

If they're kicking off a world tour, then other dates will be announced by April 1st. That should mean that ti won't be the same as the "one-off" gig at the O2. Plus it will be on tv, which should again mean that the fans are more likely to miss it.

Whether the fans are willing to get up early to go through the long process of getting tickets when they can get a ticket for another gig from a tout with less hassle and probably at less expense is also up for debate.

Roberts touring with Alison Krauss in May in the UK (Can't wait!!) and then later in May they are in Europe and then the rumours are America in June so I verry much doubt it.

As you say, it would be a debarcle if it happened, even my resolve never to return to Glasto would waiver if it was announced!!

I'm surprised people are giving these rumours the time of day. Robert Plant's touring Europe until mid-May and then the USA. He's constantly said that the O2 was a one-off, or that, at best, they may work together again but no big tour. Jimmy wants to, but then he always does.

If, and it's a big if, they do play some dates in the future, I can't imagine they play a festival in the middle of Robert's tour. And why would they play Glasto? They could play any venue they like; they don't need to play festivals. Especially given Robert's comments in the Uncut interview a few months back. I think this latest rumour is just picking up on the fact that ME made enquiries about getting Zeppelin. It was the same recently when the managers of the Millennium Stadium stated they made enquiries to Harvey Goldsmith about Led Zeppelin playing there. Next thing you know it's on dozens of websites claiming that Zeppelin are 'lined up' to play there.

Just a thought, but anyone think this rumour could really indicate Plant and Alison Krauss playing rather than LZ??

I don't think Zeppelin should play, Im a massive fan and went to the o2 gig and they were incredible. However I think they are bigger than glastonbury and will overshadow all other acts playing all weekend, if someone was to mention glasto 08 the follow up sentence would be about Zeppelin. I think they will play again but not at glasto, well not this year at least. World tour/Megagigs first. I think eavis hasnt denied as if I were him id keep trying to get them!

I also had the privilege (and it really was that) of seeing their O2 gig. I was a toddler when they first ruled the Earth but I've got to say that they are one hell of a live act and I now see what all the fuss was about. One thing though - they were f**king loud (and I've seen Leftfield!) and the sound police who seem to have more powers each year at Glasto (e.g The Killers set) might put dampener on a critical part of the performance in this respect. Just a thought.

Personally I also think they're too big for Glasto but that's just my opinion and if I hadn't been to the O2 gig I'd be jumping and down at the prospect of them playing here.