UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yep but no time in this parliament to get it through is what I meant 

If they wanted to try there is time I am afraid - and it would show a big dividing line between Labour and them which Sunak and co would hope would alienate the Red Wall voters from Labour.

I really think it is a card of desperation but one they might well play especially if Reform keeps going up in the polls.

43 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If they wanted to try there is time I am afraid - and it would show a big dividing line between Labour and them which Sunak and co would hope would alienate the Red Wall voters from Labour.

I really think it is a card of desperation but one they might well play especially if Reform keeps going up in the polls.

think they would struggle, too much opposition in parliament and the lords and with the public, but they could put it in their manifesto, maybe with a referendum.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

think they would struggle, too much opposition in parliament and the lords and with the public, but they could put it in their manifesto, maybe with a referendum.

Agree they would struggle but that is why it is a good weapon for them to regain Reform and Red Wall voters who dislike immigrants. Loads of headlines, loads of publicity and loads of blaming Labour for the failure to fly to Rwanda...... and the Scum and Daily Hate today show that this is easy for them to get and the word used to describe the ECHR - the EURO court.

Sadly loads of people think the ECHR is to do with the EU and have no idea what it actually gives every one of us.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Agree they would struggle but that is why it is a good weapon for them to regain Reform and Red Wall voters who dislike immigrants. Loads of headlines, loads of publicity and loads of blaming Labour for the failure to fly to Rwanda...... and the Scum and Daily Hate today show that this is easy for them to get and the word used to describe the ECHR - the EURO court.

Sadly loads of people think the ECHR is to do with the EU and have no idea what it actually gives every one of us.

yes, or call it a foreign court which is what Sunak and co do, as opposed to an international court which we have signed up to.

Last week Labour said they would be having a full review of the Conservative Childcare plans and would, after that, implement the best for all.

Yesterday Labour changed their mind and now "Labour commits to full Tory childcare expansion plan".

Shadow education minister Bridget Phillipson has said Labour will not remove any entitlements promised to families "in the future".

Full story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68723552

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Last week Labour said they would be having a full review of the Conservative Childcare plans and would, after that, implement the best for all.

Yesterday Labour changed their mind and now "Labour commits to full Tory childcare expansion plan".

Shadow education minister Bridget Phillipson has said Labour will not remove any entitlements promised to families "in the future".

Full story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68723552

isn't that a good thing?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

But I think this would be too divisive within Tory party and government itself...Cameron for example would not support, not sure about likes of Gove, Mordaunt, Cleverly etc.

While Gove was Justice Secretary, despite direction from the rest of the cabinet, he largely ignored the Tory campaign to exit ECHR and produce a "British Bill of Rights", treating it as an unnecessary distraction from doing actual work.

I don't like praising Gove, but while he hates the EU, he's very aware that the ECHR is entirely separate from the EU, and he's the only Justice Secretary we've had who would have been able to get a replacement proposal through the House of Lords.

I don't believe there's any chance Alex Chalk is capable enough of doing the background leg work for the political machine to get it pushed through before an election - even if that election isn't until January.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As the Tory plan is not working properly and will likely keep not working properly - no.

this is the expansion of free child care to all under 5's. Sounds ok to me. They just need to make it work, spend the money etc.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

same as the eu cos its a foreign court telling the uk what to do.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this is the expansion of free child care to all under 5's. Sounds ok to me. They just need to make it work, spend the money etc.

not enough nursery places  makes it impossible.

a male friend of mine got a job in an Edinburgh nursery about ten years ago  and got run out of town by parents who thought it was a bit odd a bloke working there. with attitudes like that it'll never get sorted.

29 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As the Tory plan is not working properly and will likely keep not working properly - no.

I'd say it's hard to be sure. When Labour have announced detail of any policy, they've either been chastised (rightly) for changing their commitment, or the Tories have attempted to steal their ideas and do a watered-down pointless variant that creates a load of exceptions for themselves and their mates. With this history, I don't think it's actually ridiculous for Labour to say "we'll keep the commitments then review the scheme and potentially make changes after".

However, the problem, is that it's Labour saying "trust us, you can trust us! Trust that you can trust us!" and... well... given how many commitments they've already rolled back on, and how they've continued to demonstrate a lack of regard to people's lives, and a cynical view of voters, I find it incredibly hard to trust them.

35 minutes ago, Neil said:

every year when the mwage goes up there's people losing their jobs.

Minimal effect so far partly due to end of free movement and salary thresholds for immigrants. After Brexit wages in areas like retail and warehouses rose above the minimum rates. Long term it should lead to higher productivity and automation which will cut jobs but grow the economy. Min wage has reached the target of 66% of median so there won't be big increases going forward.

Edited by lazyred

1 minute ago, lazyred said:

Minimal effect so far

probably a bigger effect this year with lots of small businesses struggling. the extra wages can be a big addition to running costs. (and most places can probably cover the work with the other staff.)any responsible business will work out if they can cover the extra cost. and will bin the employee(soon-ist) if they can't.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

probably a bigger effect this year with lots of small businesses struggling. the extra wages can be a big addition to running costs. (and most places can probably cover the work with the other staff.)any responsible business will work out if they can cover the extra cost. and will bin the employee(soon-ist) if they can't.

Commercial landlords have been upping costs on small businesses in retail/hospitality by between 12-45% in Bristol across 24m in Bristol

Energy bills have gone up to businesses by ~ 60% on average across 24m.

Minimum wage is 10% in that time.

Yes, cutting staff is the only one businesses can get away with doing, but minimum wage going up is NOT the reason for price increases or businesses struggling.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

The point is they are sticking to the Tory policy, the policy that does not work and does not have the money spent....... so if they do what is needed then they are changing the policy.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd say it's hard to be sure. When Labour have announced detail of any policy, they've either been chastised (rightly) for changing their commitment, or the Tories have attempted to steal their ideas and do a watered-down pointless variant that creates a load of exceptions for themselves and their mates. With this history, I don't think it's actually ridiculous for Labour to say "we'll keep the commitments then review the scheme and potentially make changes after".

However, the problem, is that it's Labour saying "trust us, you can trust us! Trust that you can trust us!" and... well... given how many commitments they've already rolled back on, and how they've continued to demonstrate a lack of regard to people's lives, and a cynical view of voters, I find it incredibly hard to trust them.

This one sounds very clear to me, they are not now having the review they said they would have but instead (after a weekend of Tory MP's saying Labour would cancel the free childcare) now they say they will stick to the plans as they are.

That is, at least, what I read when I read the story in full and also what I heard said on BBC news.