Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

23 minutes ago, croiz said:

Doesn't bother me, but I guess that's to stop people dumping them for re-sale tickets or alternative volunteering.

Awwww.... 

Fair enough

Oh crumbs..... literally the opposite side of the site to the Avalon campsite.

Based on the mess things became with pick-ups last year, I can understand transport arrangements needing to change.

• Thanks 1

we bagged a parking pass via Avalon last year which was a dream!! Hoping they dish those out again as the treck from yellow gate is gonna be a bit of a nightmare. Says TBC on t&c's.

My pal got an email yday from Avalon saying some spots had opened up on the shortlist - so if you're on the waitlist, keep the faith!! seems that the system works when places open up or get cancelled.

Anyone returning from Shelter last year? We worked West Holts!!

I'm hoping they'll be as sound as last year as the form let us request a bar (wasn't promised you'd get it but still, nice they consider it!)

We got decent shifts un all - got a Wednesday shift, however did get 2 nights shifts (wed and sat) and a friday daytime so would be nice to have 1 night this time so can explore in the eves a bit more. We just wanted Elton off so lucked out really having Arctics too!

Anyone get crap shifts with Avalon and what bars would everyone wanna work on if we can pick? so HYPED to be back!

Our shifts weren't good - but I'd still take that over not going at all.
Three late shifts - Thursday & Saturday 6:30pm - 2:30am, and Sunday 4:30 - 12:30am.

I know some others in our team kicked off a bit for being given triple lates, but I couldn't really see anything coming from it...so we just sucked it up.

Edited by dogeggs
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Our shifts weren't good - but I'd still take that over not going at all.
Three late shifts - Thursday & Saturday 6:30pm - 2:30am, and Sunday 4:30 - 12:30am.

I know some others in our team kicked off a bit for being given triple lates, but I couldn't really see anything coming from it...so we just sucked it up.

Ahh, that is sad!! What bar were you at? Hoping it will be similar vibes in terms of relaxed etc but may be diff as direct with Avalon now rather than via Shelter?

We were over at The Cockmill (next to Acoustic Tent). Nice bar, you get more of the senior crowd...lots of ale and gin drinkers! Loved it -  I'd go back there happily, or maybe try a new bar!?. I worked Bar Henge (what was Williams Green) one night too.
Thing is - I love the daytime just as much as the night, so I'm easy as to when my shifts are - but I'm aware the shifts we got wouldn't be everyones cup of tea. Maybe we'll get more of a mix of shifts this year, who knows....right now we're just super-excited to be heading back once more. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

We got decent shifts un all - got a Wednesday shift, however did get 2 nights shifts (wed and sat) and a friday daytime so would be nice to have 1 night this time so can explore in the eves a bit more. We just wanted Elton off so lucked out really having Arctics too!

Anyone get crap shifts with Avalon and what bars would everyone wanna work on if we can pick? so HYPED to be back!

Paid my deposit and buzzing to be back in for another round this year with Avalon! 
Worked as a team leader on Brew Bar Glade last year, easy fun shifts, weds early, Friday mid afternoon and Saturday night (finished around 1am) Brew Bar glade didn’t have taps purely served cans and spirits and was never really that busy to be fair as more of a walk past bar than people congregating for music. But nice to take a break and head over to other stage or glade see what was going on. 

Managed to get a car pass as well last year as had work Monday morning but I heard some people ended up spending around 12 hours on the coach so hoping to nab one again this year. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, D W said:

Paid my deposit and buzzing to be back in for another round this year with Avalon! 
Worked as a team leader on Brew Bar Glade last year, easy fun shifts, weds early, Friday mid afternoon and Saturday night (finished around 1am) Brew Bar glade didn’t have taps purely served cans and spirits and was never really that busy to be fair as more of a walk past bar than people congregating for music. But nice to take a break and head over to other stage or glade see what was going on. 

Managed to get a car pass as well last year as had work Monday morning but I heard some people ended up spending around 12 hours on the coach so hoping to nab one again this year. 

Did you have to wait for approval?

I got the email, have just finally got the profile filled out (what a faff, still not sure if I've uploaded scans (I used photos) of my photo ID correctly). Then proceeded to apply. Only to get the message:

"We aim to review applications within two working days from submission. Once your application has been approved you will be asked to pay your refundable deposit". 

Thought I'd get taken straight to a deposit page. Not have to wait for approval.

So was there really a ballot then? Am I just on a shortlist waiting for drop outs? Am I going to wish I hadn't noted under "Access Requirements" that I'm going to struggle doing the Bristol thing and would very much like to bring my car or be allowed to bring a sack trolley on the coach pretty please?

Fairly sure the emails this month suggested I was in.

They never make things more straightforward do they.

Anyone know anything?

26 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Did you have to wait for approval?

Only about half hour, you’ll be fine as shortlisted and applied, May just only be Hannah from Avalon reviewing all profiles are complete correctly before sending across the deposit page but I wouldn’t fret as was really straightforward, Not sure about this requirements however! 

7 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

we bagged a parking pass via Avalon last year which was a dream!! Hoping they dish those out again as the treck from yellow gate is gonna be a bit of a nightmare. Says TBC on t&c's.

My pal got an email yday from Avalon saying some spots had opened up on the shortlist - so if you're on the waitlist, keep the faith!! seems that the system works when places open up or get cancelled.

Anyone returning from Shelter last year? We worked West Holts!!

I'm hoping they'll be as sound as last year as the form let us request a bar (wasn't promised you'd get it but still, nice they consider it!)

I did WH last year as well!

8 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

I think we were on the same team. See you back there 😁

1 hour ago, D W said:

Only about half hour, you’ll be fine as shortlisted and applied, May just only be Hannah from Avalon reviewing all profiles are complete correctly before sending across the deposit page but I wouldn’t fret as was really straightforward, Not sure about this requirements however! 

So did you get sent a deposit page link via email then?

Just now, MrZigster said:

So did you get sent a deposit page link via email then?

Yep, you get an approval email saying you’ve been accepted. 

You can then log back into Avalon and the ‘awaiting approval’ notice will have changed to ‘pay deposit’.

• Thanks 1

Incase anyone else forgot too, or didn’t know; I was also reminded that requests for buddies/groups etc and bar preferences all get handled around training time - which I think should be in April. 

Edited by dogeggs
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Incase anyone else forgot too, or didn’t know; I was also reminded that requests for buddies/groups etc and bar preferences all get handled around training time - which I think should be in April. 

Ahh class!! Yess, ta for reminder. Couldn’t remember when all that happened last year so good to know it’s coming again 🙌

• Upvote 1

Deposit paid. Just going to have to get fit now.

I'm wondering. If they decide to drop us off at yellow does that mean we will have to go around the site rather that through it to get to the camp? Or, will they do as done previously, stop elsewhere to get wristbanded and then go to drop off point?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Deposit paid. Just going to have to get fit now.

I'm wondering. If they decide to drop us off at yellow does that mean we will have to go around the site rather that through it to get to the camp? Or, will they do as done previously, stop elsewhere to get wristbanded and then go to drop off point?

Someone posted on bottom of previous page that you would have to walk through the site

1 minute ago, dondo said:

Someone posted on bottom of previous page that you would have to walk through the site

Hopefully they will be sensible about this and only do the pick up on Monday from Yellow. There were no problems getting to the old drop off point on the Tuesday last time were there?

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Hopefully they will be sensible about this and only do the pick up on Monday from Yellow. There were no problems getting to the old drop off point on the Tuesday last time were there?

I’m sure there was a mention in the Avalon terms.  Something along the lines of ‘making your way to and from the coach park’, which implies we’re being dumped at Yellow on Tuesday. 

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

No straight in

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Friends of mine have got Avalon bar places. Where is their campsite likely to be?

Last year it was by the circus area behind icon.  Imagine it’s the same every year? May be wrong! Last year was my first 

Edited by lazymagnet
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Friends of mine have got Avalon bar places. Where is their campsite likely to be?

Last two years - couple of hundred metres outside Gate C (outside the fence), behind SE corner as magnet says. Nice little spot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talcroft said:

Last two years - couple of hundred metres outside Gate C (outside the fence), behind SE corner as magnet says. Nice little spot. 

Is it difficult getting to sleep with it being so close to SE corner?