Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

13 hours ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

If you don’t know anyone, chances are slim and it’s unlikely to happen from a single post on the forum. Your best bet is to check opportunities on the spreadsheet further up the thread.

Thanks for the help, worth me rolling the dice on random acts of kindness I suppose, more than willing to be vetted however needs be

11 hours ago, ewan88 said:

Thanks for the help, worth me rolling the dice on random acts of kindness I suppose, more than willing to be vetted however needs be

Agree with looking at the spreadsheet and there will be plenty of support on offer here with regards to how to apply for different organisations as well as what the perceived pros and cons of each of them are. I can certainly vouch for water aid. Ace charity and a great gang to support while also seeing the festival. Hard work of course but that's the case for all volunteer routes.

Also plenty acts of random kindness here (alongside the occasional cranky conversation). However there's often a spate of first time posters asking for help to get into the festival in Oct/Nov and around volunteer deadlines. I'm sure you can see how this can be tiresome for those of us who spend an unhealthy amount of time here!

All that said, best of luck with any application and if you get to know people here well it could be that you make some life long friends and with it a recommendation for the recycling crew!

Edited by Scrump
  • Upvote 1

I will take a look at the spreadsheet this weekend. The only update I'm aware of is FEstaff being more explicit that places first go to volunteers who did two festivals last year and that they'll only open up places if there is space after they have applied. 

38 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I will take a look at the spreadsheet this weekend. The only update I'm aware of is FEstaff being more explicit that places first go to volunteers who did two festivals last year and that they'll only open up places if there is space after they have applied. 

That's been the case for the last 3 festivals now and even when they open it up to new applicants you still have to commit to doing another camping festival for them.  They sent me a last minute offer in May last year and even then you had to select another festival for that year to be accepted for Glasto!! 

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.99fbc3b788c0206937656b62a3648c6d.jpeg

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scrump said:

Agree with looking at the spreadsheet and there will be plenty of support on offer here with regards to how to apply for different organisations as well as what the perceived pros and cons of each of them are. I can certainly vouch for water aid. Ace charity and a great gang to support while also seeing the festival. Hard work of course but that's the case for all volunteer routes.

Also plenty acts of random kindness here (alongside the occasional cranky conversation). However there's often a spate of first time posters asking for help to get into the festival in Oct/Nov and around volunteer deadlines. I'm sure you can see how this can be tiresome for those of us who spend an unhealthy amount of time here!

All that said, best of luck with any application and if you get to know people here well it could be that you make some life long friends and with it a recommendation for the recycling crew!

Thank you appreciate the help & best wishes! Totally with you on unhealthy forum time I've just never posted, broken new ground! 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:29 PM, Leyrulion said:

It's updated for 2024

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JAcEC1skr5YsqgyIYUwy6_1HSRh0Fw_Ud0RkQaQIPkM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I have tickets this year though so might be paying a little less attention to it in the run up!

I'd sign up to all the mailing lists you can today and read up on options and what's best for you. 

Oxfam is a route for many but it's pretty competitive if you don't have priority. Shelter and water aid are a bit less of a bun fight. 

This is excellent thanks 

25 minutes ago, ewan88 said:

Thank you appreciate the help & best wishes! Totally with you on unhealthy forum time I've just never posted, broken new ground! 

Keep checking this thread as we get closer. There’s people in here from most of the volunteering routes in to the festival. If you have any questions at all, just ask 😀

11 hours ago, stuie said:

That's been the case for the last 3 festivals now and even when they open it up to new applicants you still have to commit to doing another camping festival for them.  They sent me a last minute offer in May last year and even then you had to select another festival for that year to be accepted for Glasto!! 

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.99fbc3b788c0206937656b62a3648c6d.jpeg

Yeah I meant that this year they seem to being clearer that they don't actually expect places for those without priority.

I've just found the recycling crew website, where it says: "

If you wish to join the Recycling Team, then you will need a personal recommendation from a previous recycling volunteer. They will need to contact the Recycling Crew office directly and provide them with your contact details. 

Even with a recommendation, places are extremely limited. "

So not much chance there then, by the looks of it.  Still, if you don't ask you don't get.  Got to be in it to win it.   etc etc etc...

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:20 PM, stuie said:

Keep checking this thread as we get closer. There’s people in here from most of the volunteering routes in to the festival. If you have any questions at all, just ask 😀

Thanks Stuie, think we'll aim for oxfam, not volunteered before so will be interested to see how difficult the process is to get in given no priority 

9 hours ago, ewan88 said:

Thanks Stuie, think we'll aim for oxfam, not volunteered before so will be interested to see how difficult the process is to get in given no priority 

For Oxfam specifically it's basically fastest first. Rough ballpark but Oxfam take 2500 ish and about half go in the priority window. Of course that could change. Especially as Oxfam have really been pushing the 'do two festivals, get priority' message. Other festivals which in the past have struggled to fill all their allocation seem to have filled up much quicker the last few years. But no way of knowing if that's people doing it to get priority for Glastonbury, or people just choosing the other festivals on their own merit and wanting to save a few quid.

And if you don't get in on the first day then being willing/able to wait it out and obsessively check for any spots coming available when people cancel. And that can go right to the wire. I think most regular Oxfam volunteers have met/known of/are someone who have got a spot days out from the start of the festival. I've never done it for Glastonbury (had priority for years thankfully)  but a couple of years ago I got a spot at Womad about a week before

• Like 1

I can't seem to find much info on what it's like volunteering for hearthworks to support the Tipi field. We've got our own tipi and dropped them a line but seems like something most people don't do because having a traditional tipi is a deciding factor which makes sense, but kinda reduces the amount of info I can get online, can anyone shed light or point me in right direction? Thanks

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

For Oxfam specifically it's basically fastest first. Rough ballpark but Oxfam take 2500 ish and about half go in the priority window. Of course that could change. Especially as Oxfam have really been pushing the 'do two festivals, get priority' message. Other festivals which in the past have struggled to fill all their allocation seem to have filled up much quicker the last few years. But no way of knowing if that's people doing it to get priority for Glastonbury, or people just choosing the other festivals on their own merit and wanting to save a few quid.

And if you don't get in on the first day then being willing/able to wait it out and obsessively check for any spots coming available when people cancel. And that can go right to the wire. I think most regular Oxfam volunteers have met/known of/are someone who have got a spot days out from the start of the festival. I've never done it for Glastonbury (had priority for years thankfully)  but a couple of years ago I got a spot at Womad about a week before

Thanks great to know there's hope so late on, do you know if couples can apply or its one applicant at a time? 

24 minutes ago, ewan88 said:

Thanks great to know there's hope so late on, do you know if couples can apply or its one applicant at a time? 

You both have to apply separately but at the exact same time as soon as applications open.  You can start the process by creating an account so that you are ready to login and apply when the whistle blows! 

https://myfestivals.oxfam.org.uk/Account/Register

• Thanks 1

January is a quiet(ish) month for volunteering spots. This month is mostly about Oxfam priority opening on the 25th January.

Worth a reminder that the Shelter replacement, Avalon Bars, have a deadline to register interest coming up of 31st January and last year those who expressed interest were the first invited to apply. 

https://avaloncrew.uk/

Full list (including adding in the tipi people) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JAcEC1skr5YsqgyIYUwy6_1HSRh0Fw_Ud0RkQaQIPkM/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Thanks 1

The Church at Glastonbury applications opened today. See post on their Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/share/p/3iFncRfph2JmoBNE/?mibextid=K35XfP

Criteria as follows;

From Somerset or a neighbouring county.

Able to provide a reference from your church minister.

Be available for the training weekend on Friday 14th & Saturday 15th June.

Be available as a crew member from Tuesday 25th June to Monday 1st July 2024.

Download the application form from our Facebook group.

Or email us:

sanctuarymarquee@gmail.com

Application window closes Friday 1st March 2024.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:06 PM, deadponyclub said:

The Church at Glastonbury applications opened today. See post on their Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/share/p/3iFncRfph2JmoBNE/?mibextid=K35XfP

Criteria as follows;

From Somerset or a neighbouring county.

Able to provide a reference from your church minister.

Be available for the training weekend on Friday 14th & Saturday 15th June.

Be available as a crew member from Tuesday 25th June to Monday 1st July 2024.

Download the application form from our Facebook group.

Or email us:

sanctuarymarquee@gmail.com

Application window closes Friday 1st March 2024.

I am curious. What do they do at Glasto?

2 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

I am curious. What do they do at Glasto?

taken from their application form....

We ARE at the Festival to:

Be a part of the Church at the Festival in community life, worship, prayer and discipleship

Give a warm welcome to Festival goers

Provide shelter and a safe space

Provide space to reflect

Provide a listening ear

Be willing to share what our faith means to us, if asked

Have an enjoyable and positive experience

We are NOT at the Festival to:

Condemn people

Preach at people

Judge people

Aspects of our presence include:

Opportunities for worship and prayer

A relaxed, unthreatening and non-judgmental attitude

Personal availability

Being open and accepting

A friendly and relaxed atmosphere

Talking and listening to people

Encouraging respect for others

Considering the safety of all, including the crew

Paying attention to needs of the vulnerable and, where necessary, taking appropriate action

On 12/13/2023 at 6:14 PM, stuie said:

That’s rubbish but there’s plenty of other options - you can join Oxfam and get your guaranteed in back soon enough. 

I wonder if Shelter will still be at the festival in any other capacity - the demographic at the festival is spot on for their activities. 

I thought for Oxfam you needed to do 2 festivals the year before to get priority for this year. Has that changed?

1 minute ago, deadponyclub said:

Be a part of the Church at the Festival in community life, worship, prayer and discipleship

Provide space to reflect

Provide a listening ear

Condemn people

Preach at people

Judge people

Personal availability

Being open and accepting

Paying attention to needs of the vulnerable and, where necessary, taking appropriate action

I am not a religious person but that sounds great

1 minute ago, deadponyclub said:

Provide space to reflect

Provide a listening ear

Condemn people

Preach at people

Judge people

Personal availability

Being open and accepting

yep. there's also details on the roles further down the page 

Just now, BluesManP said:

I already secured myself entry for Glasto, I was just curious as I had never seen religious orgs at a festival before. You can tell I'm a Glasto noob -_-

I would suggest contacting them to find out more .... Sj small page can also be found on twitter as can the church at Glastonbury  f thats easier . That link does cover most info though . They have a tent above the pyramid stage arena from memory and deal with welfare type stuff . 

22 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

I thought for Oxfam you needed to do 2 festivals the year before to get priority for this year. Has that changed?

No, that’s still the same. Left over spaces open to public 1 week after priority. 

• Upvote 1