Fred again?? Next year?

Claire0406

17 minutes ago, stuartasmith85 said:

Yep, was a great show. Impressive lighting rig (possibly borrowed from Broadwick, looked very Printworks!) and a great performance. Left out some big hitters, but I think he's trying to do a different show every night, so that's presumably done with that in mind.

Considering how enthusiastic the Monday night crowd was, can only imagine how much of party it will be on Friday!

I wish i could've made the Friday, tickets were near impossible. Good to be able to go on the Monday as is

18 hours ago, stuartasmith85 said:

Yep, was a great show. Impressive lighting rig (possibly borrowed from Broadwick, looked very Printworks!) and a great performance. Left out some big hitters, but I think he's trying to do a different show every night, so that's presumably done with that in mind.

Considering how enthusiastic the Monday night crowd was, can only imagine how much of party it will be on Friday!

Nice, we’re going tonight. 

Really hoping we get Lights Out!! 

18 hours ago, stuartasmith85 said:

Double post, sorry! 

Edited by nikkic

On 7/12/2023 at 8:50 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

hes amazing fun one of the best sets of the weekend for me ... 

@Skip997 @airwaves I've seen each of Fatboy Slim, Orbital and Chemical Bros live several times and agree they have some incredible records.  Things like "Belfast" and "Electrobank" send shivers down your spine.  Fatboy is a bit different in that he is creating a party but I think what he did with samples to create (for example) "Right Here Right Now" and "Bird of Prey" is terrific.  From a technical perspective I'm not sure what any of these guys are doing that FA couldn't.  They're surely not assembling each song anew from the various samples every night.  I saw Chemical Bros DJing at WHP years ago and the main difference appeared to me they would only play small sections of a few of their own songs. 

If @airwaves is saying FA doesn't have the back catalogue comparable to these guys, then I agree. It will take him years to build.  Chems built up their set of big hits between 1996ish and 2005ish, for example.  (As an aside, I'm a wedding DJ and I note that "Filthy Dirty Disco" played as part of an intriguing DJ line up at Alex James' Big Feastival, and played "nu house" and "dirty basslines".  Can anyone tell me what the err flagship songs of these genres (?) are?  It's good to keep up to date 🙂 )

Edited by Johndenis
tagging members

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

@Skip997 @airwaves I've seen each of Fatboy Slim, Orbital and Chemical Bros live several times and agree they have some incredible records.  Things like "Belfast" and "Electrobank" send shivers down your spine.  Fatboy is a bit different in that he is creating a party but I think what he did with samples to create (for example) "Right Here Right Now" and "Bird of Prey" is terrific.  From a technical perspective I'm not sure what any of these guys are doing that FA couldn't.  They're surely not assembling each song anew from the various samples every night.  I saw Chemical Bros DJing at WHP years ago and the main difference appeared to me they would only play small sections of a few of their own songs. 

If @airwaves is saying FA doesn't have the back catalogue comparable to these guys, then I agree. It will take him years to build.  Chems built up their set of big hits between 1996ish and 2005ish, for example.  (As an aside, I'm a wedding DJ and I note that "Filthy Dirty Disco" played as part of an intriguing DJ line up at Alex James' Big Feastival, and played "nu house" and "dirty basslines".  Can anyone tell me what the err flagship songs of these genres (?) are?  It's good to keep up to date 🙂 )

Chems and Orbital live both assemble the songs for scratch every night, see the attached image

The Chemical Brothers - LondonNet

Fred Again could 100% do this if he wanted to, although arguably the mix of this, tunes and the live show is what keeps chems headlining big fests 25 years on.

Its not cheap though and he doesn't really need it right now when he can sell 50k at ally pally instantly

Fred Again has a solid back catalogue - he can successfully do live shows at the moment with basically only his own material, something most djs cannot do. He certainly has a better back catalogue to play with than Orbital

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iSolaced said:

It was an experience I’d probably never see again. Seeing Mike Skinner singing live with Fred was amazing 

surprised this didn't happen at glasto honestly (no idea on his schedule)

they did it last year at APE and it was mad

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, gfa said:

Chems and Orbital live both assemble the songs for scratch every night... 

Fred Again has a solid back catalogue - he can successfully do live shows at the moment with basically only his own material, something most djs cannot do. He certainly has a better back catalogue to play with than Orbital

Thanks very much for this info. I've looked at setlists and you're correct, just for example Fred headlined Connect (OK a fairly modestly sized fest, but still..) with his own material. I'm genuinely surprised by that - how has he "crossed over" already to that extent? 

I didn't know Chems and Orbital built the songs every night. That's some effort. 

3 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Thanks very much for this info. I've looked at setlists and you're correct, just for example Fred headlined Connect (OK a fairly modestly sized fest, but still..) with his own material. I'm genuinely surprised by that - how has he "crossed over" already to that extent? 

I didn't know Chems and Orbital built the songs every night. That's some effort. 

I mean some songs are tunes that most people know - some not so much

But its the same with Orbital and to a lesser extent chems

1 hour ago, Havors said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he played again, arcadia or some other stage or something. I dont think he's Diva enough to care or think that each time he plays he has to go up the bill. 

would say it would be hard anywhere that isn't a main stage with decent competition against it after his set at the temple this year, got shut down and was delayed to start! It was an immense set mind!!

4 hours ago, Supreme2 said:

would say it would be hard anywhere that isn't a main stage with decent competition against it after his set at the temple this year, got shut down and was delayed to start! It was an immense set mind!!

He could definitely do Arcadia at headliner time