Lil Nas X vs The Minotaur

CaledonianGonzo

On 6/27/2023 at 6:07 AM, airwaves said:

Loved the amount of "singing" that was going on even when he clearly wasn't "singing" (#ironyalert) 

When I suggested this on Twitter someone queried whether he was just playing his cd

🤣🤣🤣

He was singing. But everyone just assumes auto tune means miming. If thats the sentiment then Billie Eilish went a while 90 mins last year miming.

I fully teared up during this show. If you wanted to see something that gay and horny when I was a teenager it felt f**king illegal. Stood there watching this gay black pop star doing that show, to one of the biggest crowds at Glastonbury, broadcast on BBC to teatime crowds, and I'm surrounded by families in camping chairs with little kids nodding along. That's amazing. When I was like 14 there was a big advert campaign where Hilary Duff had to try and shame people into not using gay as an insult, and another one where a load of gay celebrities had to tell gay kids not to kill themselves because their lives will get less sh*t in a few years. Yeah there's still bigotry and there's still progress to be made (imagine how wildly and horribly different the reception to a similar display of wlw sexuality would be for example), but oh my god we live in an entirely different world from 15 years ago.

And the festival itself has completely changed its vibe. 10 years ago it was still kinda blokey, proper instruments gang were still supreme above all else on most of the the big stages. In just that short time I've been going the diversity of acts has changed hugely, the crowd has become way more diverse, the social consciousness has become way more prominent all round. All credit to Emily Eavis for really doing that sh*t, the changes to the festival under her have been incredible. All credit to Nas for having the genius and the will to roll out that show, and all credit to Elton for fighting for that platform for him to do it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

That show was a learning point for me for future glastos.

I had said beforehand that I wasn't too fussed about seeing Lil Nas X but, given we were keen to get a decent spot for Elton would probably watch it. I was expecting him up on stage performing his songs but that show was completely unexpected and by far the most "I didn't expect this to be so good" moment I had this year.

From now on I need to watch a couple of videos of artists live performances as part of my glasto warmup because I would have loved to have been in the pit for that.

• Upvote 1

Like many people, i rocked up expecting to endure a bit, rather than enjoy (my sum total Lil Nas X knowledge was that annoying cowboy song, which isnt particularly representative of him by the sounds of it) and i thought he was bloody great, to be fair - amazing visuals, and i'd definitely watch him again - if he continues on this kind of trajectory i cant see why he wouldn't headline in the future. 

Though i am absolutely always up for some Ru Paul's Drag Race vibey stuff and this was right in that wheelhouse - which translates excellently to a big stage. and yeah, its always great to see someone just transcribing their sexuality and not having to hide or dim it down. Good on him 👍