List your "frustrations" here

airwaves

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Yeah, like I say, different gates and staff.  Saw several bundled to the ground and even the one I saw get away was chased by 3 security up the side of the property lockup tent and he managed to slip them. 

Was talking to security at Sticklinch and they had tons of runners throughout the night on Thursday when it was quiet. Not sure if the runners realised they weren’t in the festival true when they were through.

Some thoughts on a few recurring themes on here:

Seen quite a few complaints from families/groups camped out at the edges of the Pyramid and then having people push past them. This is an obvious by-product of positioning yourself at the edge of the field, this is literally where everyone enters it from, out of all the places you can park yourself this is the place what will guarantee the most people pushing past you.

I understand the rationale of believing you’re placing yourself at the edge and therefore out of the way and in space, but that space is just a temporary illusion, it will inevitably fill up and you will just be in the way and have no space, as well as having constant streams of people pushing past you.

Really if you don’t like it, your best best when you first arrive is to actually walk down the field as far as you can until it’s reasonably busy and park yourself there, this way you’ll have far, far, less people pushing past you and less space in front of you to inevitably be filled up. Yes, you’ll be much further from the bar or the toilet, but that’s your trade off, either accept a constant stream of people pushing past you, or far fewer people pushing past but a bit more effort to get up and go to the bar/toilet. Unfortunately when it comes to a busy crowd at the Pyramid you can’t have it all.

Also complaints about Thursday, the five main stages are shut so it stands to reason acts like Example will be busy. If you want to see him, get there for the start of the act before and you’ll be absolutely fine. If you don’t want to do that accept it will be stupidly busy if you turn up 5 minutes before, so either accept you’ll be miles away at the edge, or go somewhere else, it’s just common sense. The festival doesn’t have the licence to utilise the main stages on a Thursday, with probably 95% of people on site by then, it doesn’t matter how many different options there are a reasonably big act will be a roadblock and make your choice accordingly. Short of a drastic change the the licence that will never change. If you want to see the big acts you can with some planning, otherwise just avoid them and go on a bar crawl.

Clashes - some of your favourite acts will inevitably clash, this is done on purpose and not to annoy you. They need to try and split the crowd at all times so the easiest way to do that is to sometimes clash similar acts together. Wanting all the acts you like to be on at different times or even different days is just entitlement, the festival isn’t programmed to your specific taste. It’s a harsh but inevitable reality of a festival with so many people and so many acts and stages. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Clouds said:

Was talking to security at Sticklinch and they had tons of runners throughout the night on Thursday when it was quiet. Not sure if the runners realised they weren’t in the festival true when they were through.

Same in the Oxfam field - several fence jumpers found out that they were still way outside the perimeter of the festival!  Quite funny to watch actually.

46 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Some thoughts on a few recurring themes on here:

Seen quite a few complaints from families/groups camped out at the edges of the Pyramid and then having people push past them. This is an obvious by-product of positioning yourself at the edge of the field, this is literally where everyone enters it from, out of all the places you can park yourself this is the place what will guarantee the most people pushing past you.

I understand the rationale of believing you’re placing yourself at the edge and therefore out of the way and in space, but that space is just a temporary illusion, it will inevitably fill up and you will just be in the way and have no space, as well as having constant streams of people pushing past you.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the system they implemented this year meant that areas that were quiet in previous years were very busy this year, in terms of people filtering through. There was a one-way type system where people were being pushed really high up the field, to the very top path (not the middle one, the one above the pylon) to then filter down through the crowd. In previous years, you'd be fine above the middle path because people were directed on to that path, but it was higher this year. I'm sure there were some who thought they were placing themselves out of the way, or in quiet area because it's been that way in previous years, only to find it was different this time round. The popularity of the Elton set no-doubt contributed to this (although the top path one-way system was in place before Lizzo, so hours before Elton was due) - I thought he'd be more popular than Macca, but not that much more popular.

People should have adapted as conditions became clear though, no doubt about that.

58 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Really if you don’t like it, your best best when you first arrive is to actually walk down the field as far as you can until it’s reasonably busy and park yourself there, this way you’ll have far, far, less people pushing past you and less space in front of you to inevitably be filled up. Yes, you’ll be much further from the bar or the toilet, but that’s your trade off, either accept a constant stream of people pushing past you, or far fewer people pushing past but a bit more effort to get up and go to the bar/toilet. Unfortunately when it comes to a busy crowd at the Pyramid you can’t have it all.

Hallelujah to this.

There was so much crusting across so many stages / acts this year due to people just stopping way too early when there was still a tonne of space in front of them (and yes that unfortunately include having to potentially weave around people who have decided to sit down) 

I don’t think everyone is quite tuned into the problem that this creates when all the crowding is in places that weren’t designed for the pressure to build there - pathways, outside edges of tents etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gregcharlie said:

Hallelujah to this.

There was so much crusting across so many stages / acts this year due to people just stopping way too early when there was still a tonne of space in front of them (and yes that unfortunately include having to potentially weave around people who have decided to sit down) 

I don’t think everyone is quite tuned into the problem that this creates when all the crowding is in places that weren’t designed for the pressure to build there - pathways, outside edges of tents etc.

Theres always been this effect of people blocking the entrances - it even happens on putting your tent up in camping areas. ie peeple only camping next to the paths. I can understand why people do it tho, 

I've labled it the coconut effect in my head

15 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I have had a few friends do the old taking wristband off - is that not really possible anymore? 

I also had a friend manage to just talk his way in - outrageous 😄 but he was Everest windows salesman of the year back in the day.

I think crew bands are abused quite often.

was this in the 90's?

9 minutes ago, Gregcharlie said:

Hallelujah to this.

It kind of reminds of the old days when EasyJet and RyanAir wouldn’t allocate seats, so you’d get groups of stupid people who were together and would rush on and then sit with a middle seat between them. In their head they thought they could keep that seat, without appreciating that the plane was full and inevitably someone would come along and sit there, between them and their family member.

I think some people see a slight crowd and think they want a bit more space and somehow in their brain think that it won’t be filled by other people, but they just end up with the worst combination of losing that space, being further back than they need to be and having people constantly push past them.

A few of my mates do it and it boggles my mind, I’ve tried to explain if you just walk forward as far as you can, once a set starts you’ll mostly be in peace, because when you’re that far in nobody will be pushing past you at that point, and you’ll also have tons of space.

Edited by Jose Pose

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

No, but just don’t complain about people moving past you if you do it.

To be fair, you're massively over simplifying the problems this year.

It's also terrible advice "want to avoid your child being crushed in a crowd, move further in!" Is one of the dumbest takes I've seen in a while.

1 hour ago, goldfishboy said:

what happened with that? how come it only lasted one festival

Combination of covid and planning permission - my understanding was that the intention was to try and keep a significant proportion of the construction there permanently. They were unable to secure permission for all of it, though they managed to keep the base.

However, the planning permission for that ran until 2022, and with 2 years of no income thanks to covid, the cost of renewing the permission *plus* the additional cost of setting it up and dismantling every year made it to prohibitive.

4 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

To be fair, you're massively over simplifying the problems this year.

It's also terrible advice "want to avoid your child being crushed in a crowd, move further in!" Is one of the dumbest takes I've seen in a while.

It really isn’t for an act like Elton, it’s common sense. 

Just now, Jose Pose said:

It really isn’t for an act like Elton, it’s common sense. 

Ah yes common sense

So will my wife just sit down and breastfeed in the front of the crowd and hope for the best?

The crowd at Elton were ridiculous and it was full of pissed up idiots trying to shove through. We sat behind bins with a pram in front and I still had pricks stepping over a breastfeeding woman and more than a few times almost take out kids sitting next to the bin, all so they could cut the corner between the back path and the side path, god forbid they had to walk ten more steps.

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Ah yes common sense

So will my wife just sit down and breastfeed in the front of the crowd and hope for the best?

The crowd at Elton were ridiculous and it was full of pissed up idiots trying to shove through. We sat behind bins with a pram in front and I still had pricks stepping over a breastfeeding woman and more than a few times almost take out kids sitting next to the bin, all so they could cut the corner between the back path and the side path, god forbid they had to walk ten more steps.

That's the Pyramid crowd for you.

It's like a different festival in front of the pointy thing.

On 6/27/2023 at 11:40 PM, Johndenis said:

Who is "the trader"? And what was the song played 8 times? Genuine queries, not taking the piss! Agreed that music post midnight gets bizarrely homogenised. 

Benga + Coki - Night and Shy Fx Balaclava constantly being played. Could even hear them back at camp until the early hours.

I obviously don't know who the trader is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Ah yes common sense

We were about half way down the field, a group of about 20 between the 2nd and third repeaters. Plenty of room to move around, people passing through occasionally, maybe every 5 minutes or so. Where would you say a kid is safer? Or where do you think it would be easier to breastfeed? 

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

We were about half way down the field, a group of about 20 between the 2nd and third repeaters. Plenty of room to move around, people passing through occasionally, maybe every 5 minutes or so. Where would you say a kid is safer? Or where do you think it would be easier to breastfeed? 

As mentioned, at the back. "Common sense" some would say

As others have mentioned, they pushed people up and round the back this year resulting in loads of people trying to push through from an area they wouldn't normally 

3 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

As mentioned, at the back. "Common sense" some would say

As others have mentioned, they pushed people up and round the back this year resulting in loads of people trying to push through from an area they wouldn't normally 

That was happening all weekend, Elton was Sunday.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Short of introducing a dedicated pen for families I dunno if there's anywhere that's guaranteed to be problem free for toddlers / pram in a crowd of 120k people.

I don't really disagree. It's just unfortunate it seems to be such a problem at Glastonbury. 

Festivals like Greenman etc have much more considerate crowds around families / children. Glastonbury just seems to have a lot of entitled arseholes

Just now, Jose Pose said:

That was happening all weekend, Elton was Sunday.

Ok mate, it's all the people with children's fault and we're idiots.

Clearly nothing could be done to address this issue. I'm sure if we brought a pram down the front you would have absolutely nothing to say about it either as it's common sense 🙄